Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Crosby, Stills, and Nash (and Young) Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Crosby, Stills & Nash (CSN) was a folk rock supergroup made up of David Crosby, Stephen Stills and Graham Nash. They were known as Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (CSNY) when joined by occasional fourth member Neil Young. They were noted for their intricate vocal harmonies, often tumultuous interpersonal relationships, political activism, and lasting influence on US music and culture. All four members of CSNY have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice, though Young's inductions were for work not involving the group.

What a group huh. Listened to this album on the way up to school today heh

2. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

this is one ive actually never gotten around too. not even familiar with solo work at all besides passing familiarity with young

3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I've only heard the first 3 albums and some scattered solo work outside of Neil. Definitely something I should dig more into

Hard to not be fairly wowed by Deja Vu

4. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I'm actually not super familiar with CSN or CSNY. But everything I've heard I've loved, so I should probably change that

5. cshadows2887

:secretly makes note of the fact that people are both unfamiliar with and interested in them:

bd007h and Meerkat like this.
  6. Wharf Rat

Deja Vu is essential. The rest of the first 3 are great too, as is Daylight Again which I have a lot of nostalgia for. 4 Way Street live album as well.

I love Stills' guitar.

I also really love Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name which is basically a Haight-Ashbury all star album. Most of the Dead guys, most of the Airplane guys, Joni Mitchell, Santana, all of CSNY except stills.

Neil definitely deserves his own thread but I love all of his earlier stuff, basically everything from After The Gold Rush to Zuma is incredible.

7. cshadows2887

Daylight Again is so much better than it had any right to be.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  8. cshadows2887

Also Stills and Nash's respective solo debuts are essential listening, imo

At some point I'm sure we'll make threads for all of them. And The Byrds. And Buffalo Springfield

sonder and Wharf Rat like this.
  9. Jeff

Regular Prestigious

Almost Cut My Hair, extended cut.

Sometimes I put that on, plug my guitar in, and just play along. An all-time jam.

10. cshadows2887

Recently got into If I Could Only Remember My Name and it's made me go back and appreciate Crosby's songs on the CSN records more, too.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  11. Wharf Rat

I love all the Haight All Star Bands cuts

12. cshadows2887

I always kind of viewed him as a touch overrated, especially compared to his bandmates, but he's come up quite a bit in my esteem.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  13. Wharf Rat

his twitter is funny hes such an old goon

14. cshadows2887

Hah I just loved that he has ZERO filter.

"Oh yeah. He was a dick"

Wharf Rat likes this.
  15. Wharf Rat

he doesn't even seem bitter about anything really. he's just genuinely speaking his mind

16. cshadows2887

Graham Nash David Crosby is a really fantastic record. Wow. '69-'72 was such an insanely productive period for all 4 of these guys.

Also, Ben will be happy to know the Dead are the backing band on one of the songs. And the best session musicians in LA are on the rest (Kortchmar, Kunkel and Sklar).

17. Jeff

Regular Prestigious

Never been the biggest Stills fan, but I've been listening to Manassas lately and I'm really digging it.

I moved to Denver and I stumbled upon "Colorado" which has become a staple for me the last 6 months.

18. cshadows2887

Stills' s/t album is fantastic, but I've never dug deeper.

19. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Woah, how have I never seen this thread before. One of the greatest bands of all time imo, or at least one of the greatest collections of talent. Just an insanely great discography across their collaborative work and solo albums (and Buffalo Springfield). Was lucky enough to see CSNY about 10 years ago and Buffalo Springfield's last show ever, and other than some spotty Stills' vocals at the former, they remain?(ed) fantastic into old age. I don't really like Stills' solo albums all that much but the debut is legit all about him. And Manassas is a pretty kickass album.

On the Beach is the pinnacle of any of their work but I'd put CSN s/t and If I Could Only Remember My Name pretttty close. Marakesh Express came on at lunch yesterday and it brightened my mood right up.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  20. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Not entirely familiar with Nash or Stills' solo careers but I do like their work with CSN(Y), Buffalo Sprinfield, and The Hollies.

21. cshadows2887

The Hollies are easily one of my biggest blind spots. I love Distant Light and Romany, but haven't heard a single album from the Nash era.

22. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

y’all gotta check out the Stills-Young band record

23. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

weird this got bumped, while I was listening to/reading about Joni Mitchell yesterday I made a note to check them out today

What album should I listen to

cshadows2887 likes this.
  24. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

the first three are great. and obviously most of their solo material.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  25. Wharf Rat

can't go wrong with the first three or Daylight Again. My fav of the solo work is still If I Could Only Remember My Name