Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Critical Analysis: Stanley Kubrick • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

many don't have to deal with the psychological horrors of being a soldier

2. J.Dick

Regular

it's called empathy. And whether a soldier or collateral victim many, many are touched by war.

3. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I think you are misunderstanding what I said

4. J.Dick

Regular

Maybe but 2001, Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket and Barry Lyndon are all better than Eyes Wide Shut.

5. Morrissey

Trusted

Eyes Wide Shut is a pretty healthy bit better than Full Metal Jacket.

6. J.Dick

Regular

No way...especially not compared to the boot camp stuff.

7. Morrissey

Trusted

Eyes Wide Shut is not properly recognized by a lot of people because of how recent is and how his other films have been accepted into the canon. The second half of Full Metal Jacket is aimless and outdone by the other Vietnam films of the period. Eyes Wide Shut is a much more meditative exploration of something within society.

8. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

that film isn't even hardly about jealousy or betrayal. It's more about deconstructing humanity's social checks and balances of primal behavior as ineffective constructs that do not actually prevent our minds from wandering freely

9. J.Dick

Regular

Platoon is spectacular. That one with Sean Penn and Michael J Fox not so much.

10. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Apocalypse Now, Thin Red Line, Paths of Glory are the best war films I know of

J.Dick likes this.
  11. J.Dick

Regular

I like those too but I figured "Vietnam films of the period" meant mid eighties.

12. Morrissey Apr 19, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 19, 2016)
    Morrissey

Trusted

Eight years separate the films. Full Metal Jacket offered far less of an insight into the war than Apocalypse Now or Platoon did.

One I forgot was The Deer Hunter.

13. J.Dick

Regular

A lot of that movie was filmed near where I live: Pittsburgh.