Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Critical Analysis: Quentin Tarantino • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

When Django rides into town with Schultz, multiple white people in the town say some version of "is that a ****** on a horse?", which should work as a mirror into the way these people were openly racist in those times, but if you saw the movie with an audience (it was a packed Christmas night theater for me), people were laughing at that line in a way that suggested "yea, black people on a horse is so weird!". Tarantino's intent was probably somewhat different, but he had to see how a primarily white audience responded to that. The same thing applies to Samuel L. Jackson's character. Instead of a commentary on how some slaves internalized the system as a way of self-preservation, the takeaway is that it is funny to see an old black man yell anti-black epithets at Django.

Entertainment for its own sake is fine, but when you set something in World War II or slavery-era South, you are taking on all the baggage that comes with it. When you make a film about gangsters and criminals in Los Angeles, you do not have that responsibility.

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I mostly believe authors should trust the audience. While Tarantino is one of the most susceptible artists to being interpreted the wrong way by the wrong people, I don't think I'd want him to adjust his style too much to dumb his message down, for lack of a better phrase. I know many who saw the brutalization of Jennifer Jason Leigh in the Hateful Eight as comedic, and while at times it might have been intended (particularly after she says or does something extremely racist, though I haven't seen the film since theaters so I might not be remembering 100% correctly), I still thought that, overall, the violence against her was an effective illustration of one of the larger themes of misogyny present in the film.

Seeing Tarantino films in packed theaters is definitely often uncomfortable, especially when white men are delighting in much of the highly stylized, but still horrible racism/sexism in all his films.

I know he's spoken on retirement, and his films have not trended this way in like, 20 years, but I'd love to see him scale his films back from the grand epics into something tight and personal, like Jackie Brown, again. In some ways the Hateful Eight was a scaling back of the grandness of the Kill Bills/Basterds/Django, but it was still such a big film. I'd like to see something venturing away from the western influences, though given his interviews and work since Kill Bill I realize that's likely not happening.

3. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I've only seen Django and Pulp Fiction :-|

4. Davjs

Trusted

that's not a bad thing, those are two of his best. You definitely need to follow it up with Reservoir Dogs.

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Django is absolutely one of his worst films, if not the worst

6. Morrissey

Trusted

1. Inglourious Basterds
    2. Jackie Brown
    3. Pulp Fiction
    4. Kill Bill
    5. Death Proof
    6. The Hateful Eight
    7. Reservoir Dogs
    8. Django Unchained

7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Your hate for RD baffles me every time it comes up

8. Davjs

Trusted

Everyone has their opinion. It's nice to hear some refreshing ones since Django and RD are loved by the masses.

9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. True Romance (wrote - did not direct)
    3. Inglourious Basterds
    4. Reservoir Dogs
    5. Django Unchained
    6. Kill Bill

Didn't really care for Death Proof or Jackie Brown and haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet. Pulp Fiction and True Romance are two of my three favorite movies of all-time. Inglourious Basterds is probably in my top 15. Those are really the only three QT films that I always go back to. I don't go back to the others much, if at all.

10. Davjs

Trusted

1. Reservoir Dogs
    2. Inglourious Basterds
    3. Pulp Fiction
    4. Django Unchained
    5. The Hateful Eight
    6. Kill Bill
    7. Jackie Brown
    8. Death Proof

11. Morrissey

Trusted

It is a very good Quentin Tarantino student film. It lacks that extra dimension that his best films do.

12. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Resevoir Dogs
    Jackie Brown
    Pulp
    Inglorious Basterds
    Kill bill v2
    Death proof
    The Hateful Eight
    Kill bill v1
    Django

13. I love Django and think Reservoir Dogs is towards the bottom of his list. That doesn't mean I think RD is bad by any means.

14. Serh Dec 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 22, 2019)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

watched pulp fiction the other night and then yesterday my brother took me to a restaurant where the burger is specifically called... well, guess

and that's what i ordered as well. good timing

CarpetElf, phaynes12 and DarkHotline like this.
  15. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

where do we feel like Hollywood fits among his films? i don’t think it’s top spot but definitely among the top tier

16. the rural juror Dec 24, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 24, 2019)
    the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

It’s top 3 for me, along with Pulp Fiction and Basterds. Reservoir Dogs could rotate in as well.

17. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I like Basterds, Pulp Fictuon, and Jackie Brown more. Maybe Kill Bill/Reservoir, depending. I haven’t rewatched them in some years. I’d solidly put it in his upper-middle tier.

18. phaynes12

yeah, RD, PF and IB are a pretty tough three to crack for me. it’s a 4a/4b between this and JB for me

19. Morrissey

Trusted

1. Inglourious Basterds
    2. Jackie Brown
    3. Pulp Fiction
    4. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
    5. Kill Bill
    6. Reservoir Dogs
    7. Death Proof
    8. Django Unchained
    9. The Hateful Eight

20. phaynes12

1. Reservoir Dogs
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Inglorious Bastards
    4. Jackie Browne
    5. OUATIH
    6. Kill Bill
    7. Death Proof
    8. Django Unchained
    9. The Hateful Eight

CarpetElf likes this.
  21. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I personally think H8 is much better than Django

22. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Inglorious Basterds
    Reservoir Dogs
    Pulp Fiction

Django Unchained
    The Hateful Eight
    Kill Bill
    Death Proof*

*havent seen this in years

23. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Pulp Fiction
    Inglorious Basterds
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Reservoir Dogs
    Jackie Brown
    Kill Bill

Hateful Eight
    Django Unchained

Hateful and Django are the only two I have mixed feelings about, and I still generally liked them. The first six I think are all fantastic. I’ve never watched Death Proof.

24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Fix that

25. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Kill Bill
    Pulp Fiction
    Inglorious Basterds
    Django Unchained
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Death Proof
    Reservoir Dogs