Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Critical Analysis: Mike Judge • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Sep 13, 2016.

1. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I know that now, but I still haven't heard enough to know what kind of show it is and I'm super curious to check it out

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen Sep 17, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 17, 2016)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

closer to Bob's Burgers than Family Guy, I see Nathan already made that comparison, way more character development

3. Expanse

I think it's part of what makes TV great. He gets to expand on his characters on TV where they would be one note in a movie. Someone like Gavin Belson gets a whole backstory while in a 90 minute film, hed basically be Lindbergh.

4. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I've loved everything I've ever seen of his. Massively underrated.

5. Morrissey

Trusted

One of the things that makes King of the Hill so valuable is how it manages to make fun of many of the small-town people and traditions of the South while also portraying them humanely and without cheap jokes. It is something that coastal writers and directors have such a hard time conveying without being condescending.

6. thesollopsist

Pro Sleeper Prestigious

I love Mike Judge. Recently finally watched every ep of King of the Hill, that show's got so much heart.

7. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

King of The Hill is probably one of the greatest animated shows of all time.

Totally agree, it was quite refreshing to see a show like that on the air where these people felt like people and not the embodiment of stereotype jokes about Texas and the South. In fact, I could argue that many writers could learn from this show on how to write characters, how to use a setting as a character, and how to make situations out of mundane life that are both interesting and entertaining.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  8. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Huge fan of Mike Judge. Beavis And Butthead was my go-to for so many years, and Office Space is one of my favourite all-time movies. Silicon Valley is incredible too, and I liked Extract a whole lot.

Never got into King Of The Hill though, not out of dislike, more of just a "never watched it" type thing. Regretting that now because you guys keep saying how awesome it is. Might get on that in the next few days.

9. Miss Heartcore

Let's build something Together Prestigious

I've loved everything except for Beavis and Butthead (just not my humor). The pacing and overall everything about Office Space remains a true gem.

10. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Hopefully this happens every ten years until the end of time

11. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Alamo Drafthouse is just the best. Might have to go to that just for the Q&A after.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  12. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

Idiocracy was like the 2001 ASO of comedies in terms of ambition and concept. A lot of it is uncomfortable, but still hilarious and there are enough likable characters for it to warm the cockles.

Only one I haven't watched much of at all is Silicon Valley. What I saw of it was ok, but it seemed like it didn't have as much authorship, like his movies and shows did. Beavis and Butthead, Office Space, and Idiocracy share a really specific sense of humor that I felt was watered down a bit with Silicon Valley, but still a good show based on what I've seen.

13. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Koth and office space are both works of art. The level of humor in both are just fantastic.

I tell you what.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  14. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Did not know he was involved in Silicon Valley....need to watch asap.

Wasn't the biggest King of the Hill fan, but enjoy everything else of his. Office Space is an all time classic.