Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Critical Analysis: Judd Apatow • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, May 26, 2016.

1. Jdaniels

Regular

Funny People was the first movie I saw high in the theater and I hated it.
    Watched it later and understood it better but man was i disappointed with my ticket purchase.

2. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I'd place "Cable Guy" and "Superbad" much higher.

smoke4thecaper and Jdaniels like this.
  3. Highly disagree with this, would list them in his top five films after Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Knocked Up and Superbad.

I enjoy Apatow's films for what they are, and I think the five above are actually quite great films, but I also agree with the criticisms of his general focus (or lackthereof). They say to write about what you know, but I think he's gotten way too comfortable with the schlubby white-guy romantic comedies. Luckily, Trainwreck stepped things up imo (as did Bridesmaids), and I would be interested in seeing him branch out and work with more female and POC leads.

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Trainwreck was bad but Funny People was a solid film

5. I liked Trainwreck

Aaron Mook likes this.
  6. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Trainwreck was really good but Hader was the MVP of the movie imo

7. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Trainwreck is fine, but that Amar'e Stoudamire plot line is the funniest part of the film now.

8. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

"Trainwreck" is fine, mainly for its ability to gender-swap the typical Judd Apatow formula. But it still has some fat, mainly that stupid "The intern is a young nymphomaniac" subplot. And "Funny People" is about half of a great movie.

As said, I'd take "The Cable Guy" or "Superbad" over those any day.

Jdaniels likes this.
  9. The intern subplot is for sure goofy, but not too goofy by Apatow standards for me. At least it pushed the plot forward. Superbad is a classic, though.

10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It reminded me too much of the Elizabeth Banks's scene in "40YOV" where they're about to have sex, they're too freaky for the main character. Kind of took me out of the movie.

But I agree, I hope Apatow continues to explore territory outside of the sad sack white guy.

11. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Probably helps that Trainwreck was the first movie Apatow has directed that he didn't write