Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Critical Analysis: Judd Apatow • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, May 26, 2016.

1. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I think his career path took a turn after he decided to go sober. He was done with the comedy stuff after HIMYM and has more than enough money to do whatever he wants.

2. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Jason was excellent in The End of the Tour.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  3. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

He's doing a sci-fi out next year, with Rooney Mara, too. He definitely seems to have moved on from broader comedy. I think if he does more comedy it would be in the vein of a Coen Bros movie. He's probably perfect for them, actually.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  4. alex

notgonz Prestigious

I'm much more likely to both watch and enjoy a film if he's only attached as a producer and not a director, oddly enough.

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Adam McKay is probably my favorite in that crew or scene or whatever, Talladega Nights and The Other Guys are so well crafted

6. fronkensteen

Trusted

7. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Out of the directors he works with a lot, McKay is definitely up there. I actually find myself really liking most of Nick Stoller's work too, Sarah Marshall is a classic, Get Him to the Greek and Neighbors are hilarious and I think Five Year Engagement is pretty underrated. He even managed to make a good comedy sequel. He also absolutely packs his movies with hilarious people too

8. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I think Funny People was the last thing he was involved in that I liked, but so much good stuff has come out of the Freaks and Geeks group that he gave a chance, so I can't complain about the guy.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  9. joe.boy.fresh.

Trusted

The Other Guys is so fucking underrated.

10. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

I adore Funny People more than most

Aaron Mook likes this.
  11. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

I think it's two halves of two decent movies, but somewhere around the middle there's a weird tonal shift and it becomes a completely different film. I think it's good, but without that messy shift I think it could've been great.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. Throwback

Funny People knocks on the door of greatness then just completely runs away from it. Comedic ding dong ditch.

MrRobot likes this.
  13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Yep. Could've been his finest work.

14. He's produced some really great, classic movies and tv shows but the movies he's directed have been blah (except for 40 YOV).

15. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

[​IMG]

16. Aaron Mook likes this.
  17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

18. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yea, there's no reason why "Trainwreck" or "Funny People" are that high.

19. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Jesus I wouldn't even list some of those awful movies at all.

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Heavyweights is his best film

kpatrickwood likes this.
  21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Gonna guess Heavyweights isn't as great as I remember it being when I first saw it in 2000

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I watch it multiple times a year

popdisaster00 likes this.
  23. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I watched that movie a bunch as a kid when it was on video in the mid-90s. Then it had a comeback freshman year of college when friends and I re-watched it and found it just as funny.

24. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I think the funniest thing he's done is The 40-Year Old Virgin, though I'm sure the cast takes most of the credit for that. Romany Malco is so good.

Adrian Villagomez likes this.