Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Critical Analysis: Denzel Washington

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Sep 28, 2016.

1. [​IMG]

2. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I think American Gangster is my favorite of his

Davjs likes this.
  4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

He's in this sphere where even most of the good movies he makes aren't really incredible, but he is observable as potentially the most incredible actor working. Malcolm X is probably the best film he's been in by a considerable margin, and Training Day is an electric performance and film. His work with Spike Lee is more hit than miss, Inside Man is another standout. Like Marlon Brando, he's an actor I love to watch even when the film isn't incredible (though Brando was in like, six or seven legitimate masterpieces, but that's an unfair mark to hold anyone to).

Underrated is his partnership with Tony Scott. Man on Fire, Unstoppable and the Taking of Pelham 1, 2, 3 remake were all very solid, tightly made thrillers. I'm not sure how well Deja Vu would hold up but I really enjoyed it at the time. None of those films really blew up or are overly lauded, but I saw and enjoyed them all quite a bit. I miss Tony Scott a lot.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  5. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

He's great in pretty much everything. Kills it in emotionally heavy performances like Glory, Flight, Philadelphia, The Hurricane. Still haven't seen Malcolm X. He's fun in Unstoppable, 2 Guns, and Remember the Titans remains a crowd pleaser. Terrific villain in American Gangster and Training Day.

6. dlemert

Trusted

Watched Training Day for the first time this year. Sad that it took me so long, great movie, and Denzel is marvelous in it.

7. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Man on Fire and Training Day are soooooo good

8. dlemert

Trusted

This thread reminded me that I absolutely loved Book of Eli when it came out. Haven't seen it in years but assuming I wouldn't like much but Denzel's performance these days.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. Fences looks good:

I have loved him in Training Day, Man on Fire, American Gangster, Flight, and plenty of others. I need to see Malcolm X.

10. Davjs

Trusted

I've never seen him mail it in, even in movies I don't like and he always elevates whatever he is in.

11. He has a great filmography and I'm really looking forward to seeing Fences.

12. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Flight was really bad. I think that was the most unhappy I've been with a Denzel Washington movie.

13. Davjs

Trusted

Never saw it. Looked like the whole movie was in the trailer which is a turn off. Was he bad in it or was it just a bad movie? Or both?

14. dlemert

Trusted

I enjoyed it, but don't expect a very subtle movie. Even as a religious guy I was rolling my eyes at all the heavy-handed themes.

15. farva2

Regular

One of the most consistent and likes le actors around. Anything with Denzel earns an auto watch from me. While I like his action flicks, I think he's capable of so much more. Really looking forward to fences.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  16. Turkeylegz

Trusted

That's how I feel. I definitely enjoy his action movies but nothing beats him in a drama. Glory is my personal favorite (but I'm a real civil war nerd)

17. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I have yet to be disappointed by him and I've seen him carry some otherwise bad films. It's weird to call one of the most famous and recognizable actors underrated but he just might be. He's up there with Leo or Hanks or Pitt where people call him great without really realize or think about why he's great. He is also more diverse than people give him credit for.

18. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Just went through my Letterboxd to see which films I've seen him in. He has some less than memorable films, but the ones that are good are really solid, and never half-asses a performance.

Out of his filmography, I've seen Flight (really like the first 30 minutes and ending, but the middle drags a lot), Inside Man (don't really remember much, but liked it alright), Unstoppable (a really fun, underrated popcorn flick), Remember the Titans (harmless enough, though not necessarily one I'd say I like), Glory (watched in middle school, remember liking it quite a bit) and Virtuosity (a really so bad it's good film that deserves some attention for that reason).

Really need to watch Training Day and Philadelphia, and would also like to watch Malcolm X, Magnificent Seven, Man on Fire, 2 Guns and John Q if I'm in the mood.

19. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Is it possible to be too handsome and too charming? Idk, ask Denzel Washington.

He's very committed and believable in everything he does.

20. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I need to re-watch Virtuosity. Even as a kid I thought it was schlocky and I can only imagine how dated it is with it's technology

21. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I love Denzel. He can take a pretty average programmer (The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, Crimson Tide, The Magnificent Seven) and elevate it. And when the foundation is more solid, you get some of the best action stuff around like Unstoppable or Inside Man.

His dramatic career is equally impressive, too. He is outstanding in Training Day, Flight, Philadelphia, Glory, Malcolm X, Devil in a Blue Dress, The Hurricane and He Got Game.

My only wish with Denzel is that he'd work with more major directors where it's about the film and the role, as opposed to a star vehicle. But hard to complain when he turns out so much excellent work.

22. He reminds me of Tom Hanks in that sense. Really accomplished, great actor, but hard to imagine them doing a feature that doesn't bring a big payday.

23. HalfHearted

Regular

Nobody has mentioned The Great Debaters, yet. Besides Training Day and American Gangster, this is probably my favorite movie of his.