Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Critical Analysis: Aaron Sorkin

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Notable film works:
    Steve Jobs (2015)
    Moneyball (2011)
    The Social Network (2010)
    Charlie Wilson's War (2007)
    The American President (1995)
    A Few Good Men (1992)

Notable television works:
    The Newsroom
    Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
    The West Wing
    Sports Night

2. Davjs

Trusted

Only seen Newsroom, Jobs and the facebook movie. Didn't really like the FB movie but I think because it was hyped to be this amazing film and was just ok. From what I've seen, you know what you are getting when he's attached. His dialog can carry any scene through and keep it interesting.

3. I have never watched The West Wing or The Newsroom. I'm eager to start both one day soon.

The Social Network is fantastic, though.

4. Davjs

Trusted

I too need to watch the West Wing. Newsroom was so interesting and fast paced for a show that has no action lol.

I know I'm in the minority who thought FB movie was eh.

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I've only seen The Social Network, Moneyball, and Steve Jobs all of which I enjoyed

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

my man is corny as hell

7. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

You need to watch A Few Good Men

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  8. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I love Sorkin with no apologies or qualifiers.

The Social Network is a legitimate masterpiece and I love that I get to watch it 3-4 times a year when I show it to my classes.

9. Huge Sorkin fan here. The Social Network is one of my favorite movies, and I think The West Wing and The Newsroom are both spectacular. I could just listen to his characters talk all day.

10. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I missed out on the West Wing, which I know is like, the Sorkin. His film writing is mostly strong, I like Moneyball, Charlie Wilson's War, A Few Good Men, and Steve Jobs, and love the Social Network, of course. But the stronger his film works are, the more that can be attributed to the talent he's working with, most notably in David Fincher.

He's got a billion issues with writing women, not all of which can be contextualized within his primary focus being writing stories about maleness. I'll admit, I skipped Steve Jobs in theaters because I was kind of fatigued on the idea of watching a white guy asshole running around being right for two hours. I did ultimately like the movie, though.

11. cshadows2887

Ironically, the two or three best female characters he ever wrote were on The West Wing. Haha

12. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

loved the social network but hated newsroom, haven't felt compelled to check out anything else

13. cshadows2887

Steve Jobs is fantastic.

Davjs likes this.
  14. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

That makes sense, a TV show has the benefit of other voices besides his own contributing, plus far more time to develop multiple characters.

15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Steve Jobs might be the most underrated major motion picture of 2015, in my opinion. Such a fantastic experiment in structure with some truly awesome performances.

GEM37 likes this.
  16. as_we_learn

Tomorrow's Just Too Late Prestigious

Anyone here check out his Masterclass video set yet?

17. Aj LaGambina

Hey man, we all can't be like you Supporter

God I love The West Wing.

18. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I love this mans writing

19. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Love The Social Network, loved Steve Jobs (might give it a rewatch soon) - Never saw The West Wing, and got about halfway through The Newsroom.

I love the cinematography of The Social Network so much, but a lot of that is Fincher. They should pair together more.

20. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Lack of mention of Sports Night on this thread is dumb. Easily one of my favorite sitcoms -- "The Six Southern Gentlemen of Tennessee" in particular is quite possibly my favorite episode of television.

Newsroom was smug and overrated though.

21. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

The West Wing is one of my all-time favorite television shows. The writing for that show is so perfect. Some of my favorite moments...

A classic Sorkin-style, single camera shot, walk and talk...

A classic Bartlet roast scene...

A little government humor...

Aj LaGambina likes this.
  22. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Damn it, guys. This thread is just going to make me rewatch The West Wing for like the fifth time.

23. Saw Steve Jobs today and really, really liked it. Largely due to Sorkin's script.