Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Crazy Rich Asians (Jon Chu, August 17, 2018) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Apr 19, 2018.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

almost like people want diversity in film and you should release films when there's less competition so they have time to breathe and shine or something

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

3. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Me and my wife went to see this the other night. I love 90s rom coms and feel like i haven’t seen a great rom com that stacks up to the ones from my childhood in forever. This was the rom com i have been wanting forever.

I had the biggest grin in my face the whole time. I don’t think there was a sing thing I didn’t like about this movie. Hollywood needs to take note. You can tell great stories without filling it with white people. Put the main cast in everything from now on please!! I need more Michelle Yeoh in my life.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  4. aoftbsten Aug 29, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 29, 2018)
    aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This was a solid rom com and probably one of the better ones to come out in the last few years. Though, there really haven't been that many of note lately.

Constance Wu and Henry Golding had great chemistry. And Awkwafina was awesome.

5. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Just got back from the cinema. It is very good. Constance Wu is an angel. It’s also a pretty blatant Singapore tourism commercial, haha.

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

hold on The Proposal made $164 million at the box office, but also congrats

7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Constance Wu > Sandra Bullock

ChaseTx likes this.
  8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This released in China last weekend and only made $1 million.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  9. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I'm not sure this movie was predicated to do well in China. So although it stinks it had a bad opening, I don't think it's a shock to the studio

10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

is there a cultural reason why it wouldn't?

11. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I'm sure that's definitely a reason. Comedies in general don't usually play that great in the foreign market. This movie is still incredibly successful despite the poor numbers from China

12. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

oh yeah that is a factor i forget about

13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

We just watched this over the weekend and loved it

14. The Lucky Moose

Part of it that in China it is just one of many movies with Chinese actors. On top of that, I seem to remember some mainland bashing in the CRA book. I’m not sure if it was in the movie.

15. The Lucky Moose

16. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I'm down for two more of these.

17. I recently bought all the books, right before the box set came out... I've yet to read them. But anyway, I'm excited because we get two more of these movies, and because it seems like everyone's blowing up. Can't wait to see all of them in all the things.

18. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I love that, between this film & Black Panther, representation (both in front of and behind the camera!) is finally starting to sink in as the "safer" choice for these studios. I feel like I shouldn't let myself be too optimistic, lol, but I am optimistic about the future film landscape.

ChaseTx likes this.
  19. The Lucky Moose

I bought the first book on audible but returned it. It’s not exactly my thing when it’s not paced like a movie.

20. The Lucky Moose

I don’t know man, it wouldn’t be the first time they ignore reality, “black movies” and stars have been doing amazing things for a long time yet the big studios kept pretending like they didn’t. In some ways it has even gotten worse in the late 00s, only to get a little better again now.

21. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I read the first book after I saw the movie. Was just as good. Def enjoyed the movie more cause Constance Wu and Henry Golding

22. Yeah, I just started the first one and all I see is people from the movie. It's fine, though, like, I read all of Harry Potter after seeing the first seven movies, and it didn't bother me that I saw Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson in my head the entire time.

24. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Uh, holy shit at the wedding procession scene. Stunning

DrAlanGrant likes this.