Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Craigslist Is Ugly, Janky, Old School…and Unbeatable

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Justin Peters, writing for Backchannel:

Craigslist remains good enough, and that’s a big problem for its competitors. Buying and selling used furniture isn’t something that you do every day, or even every month. It’s a sporadic activity, which means that most people will have limited opportunities to become familiar with AptDeco and its fellow startups. “I think that most people use Craigslist because they don’t think they have another choice,” says ***iri. “So, ultimately, you know, we provide a better service than Craigslist.” Though that might be true, it also might not be enough.

2. DaydreamNation Mar 1, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 1, 2017)
    Jason with your eye for web design are you even able to use Craigslist without smashing your skull into your iMac? Haha. I don't care about such things but it even bothers me a bit.

skogsraet likes this.
  3. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Craiglist is functional. Doesn't need to be anything else. It's just classifieds.

4. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Exactly. Just like this article points out, it's not for the every day user. I use it a few times a year to sell guitar gear, games, furniture and always find it super easy. And it gets the job done.

I also find girlfriends on there all the time.

I kid.

5. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Craigslist has brought me new jobs (legit ones too), new (to me) guitars, music gigs...I definitely appreciate it but yeah the web design is awful. Way too many links on the first page imo. Also I warn anyone against going into the discussion pages...did that a couple times out of boredom and either there are a lot of racists in MA or Craigslist is a magnet for the ones that are here.

6. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

it's an interesting design philosophy that i appreciate because it's not soul-sucking like a corporation, but also think can be dangerous even if it functions just as a facilitator that may be taken erroneously for a secure transaction

7. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I think CL is just there....like classic classifieds were. I know people that go on it everyday just looking at stuff