Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Craig Manning Releases New Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This is amazing feedback, and so thoughtful. Thank you so much for listening and taking the time to type this up. Definitely made my day.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the record and got what I was going for, pretty much across the board. Especially glad you enjoyed "What Do I Do" and "Carry It Forth," is as you said, those two have a lot of weight for me. Both were definitely extremely cathartic. The latter I wrote the day my Grandpa passed and I sang it at his wake, so that's always going to be one of my favorite songs I've written. The former was literally stream of consciousness recorded into an iPhone one morning the following winter when I found those voicemails on my phone. I think I changed a line or two, but I listened back to the voice memo recording a few months ago and it was 99% the same. Definitely felt like he was guiding me on that one.

Absolutely going to continue releasing stuff. Already written probably half a dozen songs and have a general idea of the direction I want to go. Something more layered, upbeat, and happy, I think. The new Butch Walker record is definitely inspiring me in that direction. Might post a song or two around these parts in the next few months, whenever I get a chunk of time to sit down and arrange/record them.

Patterns in Traffic likes this.
  2. Glad it was helpful! I didn't intend to write a novel, but I clearly had a lot of thoughts haha. Really interesting insight into the writing process for those two tracks. The meaning definitely comes across in the songs.

I meant to note that there are a few songs on your record that hint at a more layered approach with more instrumentation, and I would definitely be interested in hearing some songs from you with a more "full-band" approach if you were ever to go that route.

Do you have the Butch record already? I'm bummed that we're not getting it until late August.

Craig Manning likes this.
  3. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

What Do I Do? is so chilling and powerful with those voicemail's included in there and probably my favorite on the record. Also really love Carry it Forth, Leaving Song, Two Lane Road, Way Too Long and It's My House(But I Don't Live There Anymore).

4. Craig Manning

The novel is appreciated, haha.

Yeah, "full-band" is definitely something I'd be interested in. I have a lot of musical friends who I'd like to work with at some point, so maybe that'll happen on the next record. I also want to play around more with layering and editing with recording software, so that's another way that I'll probably try to use to get a fuller sound. With this one, I was sort of learning as I went, so most of the sparser songs are the ones I recorded first. But then there was also a bunch of stuff on here that made better sense as sparse acoustic songs, so I didn't really feel the need to go back and add a lot.

I got the new Butch record earlier this week. I'm pretty bummed it's not dropping until August too, honestly. I want people to be able to jam this all summer long. It's such a summer record. Really wonder why they are sitting on it song long, since I think he had the masters back like a month and a half ago or something. Feel like they could have gotten it out there in July. Maybe it's a vinyl thing, though.

Saw that you bought the record this morning. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. Also glad you're enjoy it, and that song in particular. The voicemail thing was something I thought to include in the recording pretty late, even though they inspired the song. Pretty happy with how they fit in there.

Patterns in Traffic likes this.
  5. skurt

Your very welcome! I had streamed it a few times on the site prior and kind of asked myself why have I not bought this yet, then the notifications of the thread started up again and reminded me. They fit in great in the song for sure. I want that new Butch album like now.

6. Craig Manning

Well thanks a ton, it means a lot.

I want everyone to hear this Butch record! I hope he streams it super early or something.

skurt likes this.
  7. skurt

Are you going to review it?

8. Craig Manning

Yep, absolutely. Crossing my fingers to do another interview with him too.

skurt likes this.
  9. skurt

Look forward to hopefully both!