Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Craig Manning’s Top 30 Tracks of 2016

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Last week, Jason highlighted some of his favorite songs of 2016 in the wake of Chorus.fm’s Top 30 Albums of the Year list. This week, I’m taking the reigns to share my own favorite songs from last year.

In 2015, my favorite songs mostly came from my favorite albums. Butch Walker’s “Father’s Day,” Jason Isbell’s “Speed Trap Town,” Noah Gundersen’s “Topless Dancer,” Dawes’ “All Your Favorite Bands,” Chris Stapleton’s “Traveller.” I’d be fine calling that my top five tracks list from 2015, and it aligns perfectly with my top five albums list from the same year.

2016, comparatively, was all over the map. While my favorite albums did yield plenty of my favorite songs, other top tracks came out of nowhere—from albums I didn’t rank and artists I’d never heard of before.

I cut this 30-song mix down from a playlist that was twice as long, and while it contains tracks from a lot of the artists I talked about most in 2016 (from Butch Walker and Jimmy Eat World to Yellowcard and Sturgill Simpson), it also includes a few hidden gems that I think just about everyone missed. Rick Brantley channeling Bruce Springsteen for the profound and thought-provoking “Hurt People”; David Nail singing wistfully about “Home”; Ryan Beaver resiliently proclaiming “I ain’t afraid of the dark” on the year’s most potent anthem; Steve Moakler singing what should have been the biggest hit of the summer with “Suitcase”; and BJ Barnham breaking my heart through every desperate second of “The Unfortunate Kind.”

I believe any great playlist or mixtape should foster discovery. There are certainly names you will recognize on this list, but my greatest hope is that it will also shine a light on a few of the songwriters you might have overlooked amidst the noise of 2016’s celebrity-studded release schedule. Happy listening, and here’s to another unbelievable year for music.

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  2. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

@Craig Manning - You're the only person i've seen who knows Steve Moakler. He was the first concert I ever booked back in 2009 lol

Craig Manning likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Really? That's awesome! He seems to be picking up steam. He's had a few co-writes on Dierks Bentley's last records, and has this thing coming up at the Bluebird in Nashville with some of the biggest songwriters in country. He also supposedly has a full-length coming in 2017, which I'm definitely looking forward to.

4. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

That's sick. He was a really good dude when I met him.

5. A lot of commonalities here with the top 16 songs list I'll be posting soon

6. Jack Wilmott

Self-described freestyle wizard poet.

Great playlist. I think my tastes are more aligned with yours out of all the staff. Ive tried, i just dont get the likes of kanye et al. I mean this not as a dig to those that do, it just doesnt resonate with me at all.

Cheers mate.

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Yeah, he seems like a pretty genuine down-to-earth guy based on the interviews I've read with him and stuff.

Top 16? Couldn't trim it down to 15?

Ha, when is this coming?

Thanks! I like a few Kanye albums, but thought Pablo was legitimately poor outside of a few tracks. My tastes have definitely started skewing in a very different direction over the past few years.

8. I'm doing a top 16 of 16 series throughout February, of albums, songs, movies, and life moments. I'll keep you posted!

9. ineverlose

Love this playlist, Craig. Lots of new discoveries I had never heard before...thanks for putting this together.

10. jorbjorb

7 rings

good choice putting up by sing street on there. such a sick song