Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Craig Finn - I Need A New War (April 26, 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by jdr2187, Jan 30, 2019.

1. jdr2187

jdr2187

Always excited for new music from Craig Finn.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  2. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Yesss this song is great.

3. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Hell yes. His last two albums are among the best he’s made in his career, and I’m so pumped for a third record in that vein.

4. jdr2187

jdr2187

Importer/Exporter likes this.
  5. SteveLikesMusic

Hmmm I didn’t love this on first listen outside of a couple tracks.

6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Curious to see what I think of this. I have generally not been a huge fan of his solo work. Mostly just want a new Hold Steady record.

7. Importer/Exporter

I loved Faith in the Future and also We All Want the Same Things, but this one doesn’t grab me quite the same way a couple spins through.

8. the rural juror Apr 28, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 29, 2019)
    the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I like the softer, more empathetic approach he’s taken as he’s gotten older. It feels like a very natural evolution. But I still mostly just want new Hold Steady, haha.

9. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

Ha, weirdly enough, this is the first of his solo albums that I've really liked. Feels like he finally figured out what works best.

10. the rural juror

This is already growing on me with each listen. He’s such a great storyteller.

11. radiodead

Trusted

Listened to this this morning. So goooood.

12. SteveLikesMusic

Yea It’s really beautiful actually.

13. jdr2187

jdr2187

Yeah this sounds great so far. Not sure I like it as much as We All Want the Same Things just yet, but that could change with more time.

14. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I liked his solo stuff but nothing grabbed me until God in Chicago. Which is absolutely one of the best songs of the decade.
    I don't think anything on here is of that calibre but Grant in Galena is my early fav.

15. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

This might be my favorite record Finn has done since Stay Positive, honestly. I really like Heaven is Whenever and Teeth Dreams, but their production always marred the songs for me. This, though, sounds great, and the lyrics are awesome.

16. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I still can't get over the production choices on those albums either. What the hell happened? Was there really a THS fan on Earth who was asking for Finn to be completely drenched in reverb? Given the band's musical and lyrica style, a voice completely drained of all personality does not work.

17. the rural juror

The organ and horns on “Holyoke” are just fantastic. One of the best songs he’s written imo.

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

dadbolt likes this.
  19. Importer/Exporter

Beautiful songs. The acoustic version is heartbreaking.

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Steeeve Perry likes this.