Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Country Westerns - S/T (June 26, 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by jdr2187, May 20, 2020.

1. jdr2187 May 20, 2020
    (Last edited: May 20, 2020)
    jdr2187

jdr2187

Really looking forward to this one.

Singer-guitarist and Atlanta native Joey Plunkett left NYC for Nashville 10 years ago, after making a name for himself in that city’s rock and roll underground as the leader of Brooklyn legends The Weight and hustling bass for Gentleman Jesse.
    Nashville drummer and songwriter Brian Kotzur was the star of Harmony Korine’s “Trash Humpers”. Kotzur also wrote the film’s score. He was a member of Silver Jews
    Country Westerns started as an outlet for Plunkett and Kotzur to play music almost in spite of being in the middle of Nashville’s hungry music scene. Their idea was to make “depressing songs with fun drums”.
    Over a year they met up twice a week, made up songs that they liked, and played them to an audience of David Berman in Kotzur’s garage. They played parties sometimes.
    This period was a kind of a state of grace – they liked writing and playing; they liked hearing Joey sing. Pressure was off. Still is, I guess. But anyway, everyone won.
    In Spring 2019, their esteemed colleague Sabrina Rush joined as a bass player because she’d never played bass before. Her melodic approach to bass elevated the Country Westerns sound.
    People who like raw and well written rock and roll songs along the lines of stuff by Dwight Twilley, Dead Moon, Wipers, The Saints, Replacements, Green On Red and that whole vibe should love this band.
    There’s a rare emotional weight and poetry to Country Westerns’ music that hits the spot so hard for me. Hope you dig.

2. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Oh hell yeah, this sounds killer

jdr2187 likes this.
  3. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

Damn, thought this said Smith Westerns and my mind was almost blown

mad likes this.
  4. This sounds up my alley

jdr2187 likes this.
  5. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

pretty much exactly what I was hoping for, just a really solid half hour of rock and roll

jdr2187 likes this.
  6. jdr2187

jdr2187

Yeah I love this too. Nothing ground breaking but they do this style so well.

7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Nice

8. uchiha

Newbie Prestigious

I agree with what’s been said so far. Super enjoyable record. Solid from start to finish.

9. jdr2187

jdr2187

This is such a good summer album. It’s also great for the gym.

10. Dammit I keep meaning to listen to this, glad you bumped the thread

jdr2187 likes this.
  11. Liked it a lot

jdr2187 likes this.
  12. Kinda reminds me of early Lucero in a way

13. I’m a little late on this album but it’s awesome. Gonna make my top album list for sure.

14. jdr2187

jdr2187

New EP out in June. The new song is....not good

15. jdr2187

jdr2187

16. jdr2187

jdr2187

New album is really good.

dpatrick23 and Chcurry182 like this.