Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Country Radio Quickly Removing Morgan Wallen From Playlists After Racial Slur • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Wow good on the neighbors. They probably wouldn't have leaked this if he wasn't a piece of shit neighbor to begin with.

2. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

... and now he has the top three selling albums on iTunes. Disgusting

3. somethingwitty

Trusted

he’s also gained 100k+ followers on Instagram since Wed.

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Pretty sure he already had a top three selling album on iTunes, given that he's pretty much owned the album charts for the past month.

While it's obviously frustrating and incredibly awful that there are people who were drawn to him by this, I really think he's going to see a huge net negative, in terms of sales, exposure, word of mouth, acceptance from industry peers, and general ability to grow his career. Those playlist positions on streaming and radio were huge for him and they evaporated over the course of 12 hours.

Idk, he might still eke out a fourth week on top of the album charts, but I kind of think this album will vanish after that.

wrenleslie and billyboatman like this.
  5. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

He was in the top spot, but weezer was second, and I don’t remember who was third initially. I don’t believe his 2018 album was in the top ten till yesterday.

6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

trevorshmevor likes this.
  7. DooDooBird

Trusted

I’m not really up to date on pop culture so I really had no idea who Morgan Wallen was. I googled. And he looks exactly like a guy who would use the N word on a regular basis.

billyboatman likes this.
  8. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

9. somethingwitty

Trusted

Make it make sense. Not a fan of either, never quite understood how Post gets away with so much appropriation. He used hip-hop and its culture as a vehicle to fame, while providing nothing of value himself.

Brent likes this.
  10. xenoabe

Regular

I'm not saying Post should get away with it but he's clearly using it in a very different context than Morgan. One is haphazardly using it when he shouldn't and the other is aggressive and hateful.

Brent likes this.
  11. wrenleslie

Also not justifying Post's use at all, but the context feels really relevant in Morgan Wallen's case. It says a lot that he did this while he's the hottest artist in country, right in front of his house in Nashville where people know he lives. He didn't think he would get caught or that it would damage his career. He's gotten away with things like this multiple times.

12. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Also, not justifying Post use at all, but there is different context when a white hip-hop artist uses the word and when a white country artist uses it. Post was trying to fit in and use it as an endearing word like his black contemporaries, in a positive way. Wallen used it as a negative term, as a "pussy-ass n**." Showing that at the crux of it all, Post was just trying to be cool and use it in a postivie way, obviously not something he should be doing, but Wallen used the word as a derogatory negative term in any way you slice it.

Brent likes this.
  13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

14. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Welp. He’s back on the radio. Just heard him on 101.7 FM in Boston.

15. MattNCheeze

Trusted

It was never gonna last that long we all know that.