Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Country Radio Quickly Removing Morgan Wallen From Playlists After Racial Slur

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Morgan Wallen, who has had the number one album in the country the past few weeks, is being removed from country radio and various high-profile playlists after using a racial slur over the weekend.

Said one figure in country radio who did not want to comment for attribution: “Morgan Wallen appears in virtually every half-hour of music across 4000 stations across America right now. How’d you like to get that message at midnight, that you have to take him out of the music blocks you already set up for Wednesday? If anybody has other songs they’ve been wanting to hear in the morning, they may get to hear them tomorrow.”

DSPs also appeared to be taking action. As of late Tuesday night, Wallen, who has been called the biggest out-of-the-box streaming success in country music history, did not appear anywhere among the dozens of photos or track listings or playlists on the home page of Apple Music Country, where observers said he had been featured earlier in the day. And his songs were no longer anywhere to be seen in Spotify’s list of 50 top Hot Country songs.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Not surprising at all...unfortunately

3. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

But I thought SNL said he was sorry and he was doing better?

4. transrebel59

Regular

This dude is doing everything he can to tank his career.

5. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Good. Fuck him.

trevorshmevor and IATAvalanche like this.
  6. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Really shows how much people's true selves come out when they're super drunk.

7. zachmacD

Trusted

What a dumbass

Ska Senanake likes this.
  8. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

When I'm super drunk I sing mid 2000s emo really loudly and fall asleep with my shoes on, I think I like that true self.

9. good

10. somethingwitty

Trusted

Goto the CMT FB page and look at the comments under their note saying they’re removing Morgan from the channel...

I’d say 95% of the comments are in support of Morgan...that tells me EVERYTHING I need to know about country music and it’s fanbase.

Frinet42, beachdude, Jfletch and 3 others like this.
  11. MattNCheeze

Trusted

They'll send him to rebhab and he'll have a Gospel record out in 3 years.

12. xenoabe

Regular

I'd say it depends on the corner of country you're looking at. Not sure you fully consider them country but guys like Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton, and several other Nashville country-ish artists I follow are the opposite of this.

I would agree that way too large of the 'country' contingent, especially bro country, is very problematic with this type of thing. Hell, unfortunately, many of them are my own family.

13. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Good

14. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

His label dropped him

brandon likes this.
  15. transrebel59

Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe being suspended and being dropped are different. Sounds like "We're gonna wait for this to blow over."

16. irthesteve

possibly true, I am not entirely sure. A quick google search says that contracts being suspended and terminated are "closely related" but I'm no lawyer, so who knows

17. somethingwitty

Trusted

How long until his team finds a way to appeal to the “American patriots” and claim he’s a victim of PC cancel culture?

beachdude likes this.
  18. transrebel59

Regular

I think I'm just cynical and assume that a label won't act appropriately to a massive artist

beachdude likes this.
  19. DaysHaveNoNumbers

Newbie Supporter

You're absolutely correct at the number of comments in support (which is sad), but I think we have to be careful lumping country music and its entire fanbase into this situation. I do think the comment section on Facebook is a toxic wasteland, but that's a whole other topic.

theasteriskera likes this.
  20. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Being or saying racist things isn’t cool.

21. irthesteve

thread worth reading:

22. irthesteve

23. doyouhas?

They won’t have to do a thing. People who have never heard of him will go out of their way to buy his album just because he’s racist.

theasteriskera and beachdude like this.
  24. AMC

Regular

For a second I was like how does this guy know me so well? Lol

25. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

How about I’m outside of your WIN-DOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

AMC and IAmMikeWhite like this.