Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Counting Crows Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by crunchprank, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

They were my favorite band for a long time. Definitely one of the first bands I ever loved as a kid, and then the greatest hits kind of got me back into music in general when that came out. Speaking of, Films About Ghosts is one of the best greatest hits albums ever. I feel like there's a lost art to the "Best Of" compilation and they absolutely nailed it there.

KidLightning likes this.
  2. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

This Desert Life:
    favorite - St. Robinson in His Cadillac Dream
    least favorite - Speedway

Hard Candy:
    favorite - Hard Candy
    least favorite - Butterfly in Reverse

SN&SM:
    favorite - When I Dream of Michelangelo
    least favorite - Come Around

Wonderland:
    favorite - Probably Palisades Park but also maybe Cover Up The Sun
    least favorite - Earthquake Driver

3. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I feel like Come Around ends that album on a high note after a few underwhelming tracks.

It's funny - I think SN&SM is their weakest album, but it also has two songs that are in my top 10: 1492 and Cowboys. Recovering the Satellites does that same thing, where the record opens up with a dense, loud track (Catapult, and then it's pushed even further with Angels) but I think 1492 is the best guitar heavy song they've ever done.

Both 1492 and Cowboys have some of my favourite lyrics, and the first time I heard him scream, "I will make you look at me or I am not anything" is probably only rivalled by "Round here she's always on my mind" as my favourite moment in their catalogue.

4. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I definitely meant to say that "Anyone But You" was my least favorite. It's been a while since I've listened to that entire album.

5. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I'm with you there

6. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I'd go as far as to say that "Miami" is their best song.

TedSchmosby and Craig Manning like this.
  7. Craig Manning

It's definitely in the top 3.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Something's happening Monday

9. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Guessing tour dates but I'd love for it to be new music of some kind.

10. Craig Manning

The August and Recovering vinyl reissues look and sound amazing. So glad to finally have those records in my collection.

truelovewaits likes this.
  11. abw123

Trusted

Favorite Crows songs:

Hard Candy
    Holiday in Spain
    Murder of One
    Omaha
    Have You Seen Me Lately
    Angels of the Silences
    Mrs Potter (by far my favorite)
    St Robinson
    Up All Night
    Richard Manuel is Dead

Love the last few albums too but nothing there that cracks my top 10.

12. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Interesting to see August barely represented. I respect that

13. Slangster

Announcement was tour dates with Matchbox 20 this summer.

Craig Manning and CarpetElf like this.
  14. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I am hype

15. Turkeylegz

Trusted

This tour is going to be bonkers! I am so excited!

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  16. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Hopefully they represent RTS a bit more this year

But if that's too much to ask, can I just get one performance of Amy Hit the Atmosphere? Just one?

CarpetElf likes this.
  17. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I've been listening to all their albums for years, but it just hit me today that "Speedway" might be the most explicitly personal song Adam had written lyrically up until that point. Not to say it's any more honest than the others songs, but he's not really hiding behind any imagery or metaphor in that one. He's just being really blunt and despondent and it's pretty heartbreaking. Definitely a bit different in its approach than what he normally does, especially the kind of thing he's doing on Somewhere Under Wonderland.

duritzfan13 and Turkeylegz like this.
  18. duritzfan13

all we have is time

Man, "Hard Candy" is such a good sounding record. Don't really see it happening.. but I'd love to see them make an album like that sonically again

cshadows2887 and Turkeylegz like this.
  19. Slangster

During the whole "desert island discography" discussion the site had last week, it didn't really hit me, but this weekend I realized these guys would be very high up on my list in terms of that. Extremely consistent in quality, songs for all moods, a varied enough sound.

I've been spinning Recovering the Satellites a ton lately. It was never my favorite CC album but man, listening to it now, it's really fucking good. Only song I don't outright love is Have You Seen Me Lately?, and it's still solid.

duritzfan13 likes this.
  20. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

There was a long period of time when I was in film school that I wanted Miami to be the closing credit music to some future film that I (would never end up making)

21. TedSchmosby

Trusted

This first time I listened to that record and Good Time came on I was fl00red

duritzfan13 and Turkeylegz like this.
  22. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

His voice has literally never sounded better than that last, high "Let's gooooooooooo shut it dooooooooown."

23. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I agree. But I'll be damned if the Across a Wire version doesn't tear me to pieces.

24. Craig Manning

That and the end of "Round Here" are both up there with my favorite vocal moments ever, by anyone.

cshadows2887 and TedSchmosby like this.
  25. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

"Have You Seen Me Lately?" might be my favorite Counting Crows song.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.