Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Counting Crows Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by crunchprank, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

As far as I remember, I didn't do a write-up exclusively about Hard Candy, but I did talk about it a bit in my review of the Outlaw Roadshow live album because there were a lot of Hard Candy tracks on there.

Closer to the Truth and Further From the Sky: Counting Crows - Echoes of the Outlaw Roadshow

"Round Here" is my favorite, but I don't think it's hugely superior to "Anna Begins," "A Murder of One," "Sullivan Street," or "Raining in Baltimore." That album has a lot of my all-time favorite songs on it.

JimmyIymmiJ and cshadows2887 like this.
  2. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

The definitive list:

1. Anna Begins
    2. A Murder of One
    3. Sullivan Street
    4. Rain King
    5. Round Here
    6. Mr. Jones
    7. Omaha
    8. Raining in Baltimore
    9. Perfect Blue Buildings
    10. Time and Time Again
    11. Ghost Train

3. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Agreed with your 10 and 11, but Perfect Blue Buildings is top three for me. That's the song that made me believe this band was really something special. My journey went something like:
    1. Grow up listening to Accidentally in Love and thinking it's super rad
    2. Decide to check out Mr. Jones because a character in Boy Meets World said Counting Crows was his favourite band.
    3. Get taken aback by the lines "When everybody loves me, I will never be lonely" and "Man, I wish I was beautiful."
    4. Listen to Perfect Blue Buildings and it hits hard.
    5. Watch a live video of Round Here and have a new favourite band

Craig Manning likes this.
  4. Craig Manning

You're underrating "Time and Time Again" so much that I just have to make my own list.

1. Round Here
    2. A Murder of One
    3. Anna Begins
    4. Sullivan Street
    5. Raining in Baltimore
    6. Time and Time Again
    7. Rain King
    8. Mr. Jones
    9. Omaha
    10. Perfect Blue Buildings
    11. Ghost Train

cshadows2887 likes this.
  5. Craig Manning

Shawn loving Counting Crows definitely made me geek out back in the day.

TedSchmosby likes this.
  6. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

FRIENDS OFF!

7. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

If you were ever going to drop me, you'd have done it long before now, bruh.

8. mationation Feb 28, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 28, 2017)
    mationation

I think God's a painter

round here
    a murder of one
    anna begins
    sullivan street
    raining in baltimore
    perfect blue buildings
    mr. jones
    time and time again
    rain king
    omaha
    ghost train

(in my subjective reality) this feels right. i don't think perfect blue buildings is top tier especially as i've aged but i remember being ten or eleven when i first found the record and the lyrics on that song hit me hard even tho i knew nothing about life. still a special song to me

TedSchmosby likes this.
  9. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I think Ghost Train is the only one that's pretty much the definitive lesser of the bunch. I would even say that the band thinks so too, given how often they play it live compared to the other stuff. Still a great song though

10. Craig Manning

Yeah, it's the weakest track on the album to just about everyone. Except the guys in Between the Buried and Me, I'm guessing.

11. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I'm thinking of Recovering the Satellites and wondering if there's a general consensus on the weakest of that album, but I'm not sure there is. Monkey, maybe. The other albums, too, it's hard to say. This band really doesn't have "filler" tracks

12. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I'd vote for "Children in Bloom."

13. TedSchmosby

Trusted

That's my personal first thought too, but I know a lot of people love it. Sometimes it does really hit the spot. Have You Seen Me Lately is another one of the few that has never been my favourite at any point

14. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

The acoustic version of that one on Across a Wire made me fall in love with that song. Not big on the album version though.

15. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Perfect Blue Buildings is waaaay too low on all these lists. Think that might be my second favorite after Round Here

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  16. TedSchmosby

Trusted

my man

17. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Haha, which is my favorite.

18. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I love that that can be the case. Such a good band

19. Craig Manning

Yeah, I'd say "Monkey." I enjoy it, but it's...bizarre. The second half in general goes to some weirder places that I have to be in a specific kind of mood for. "Miller's Angels" is a song I can only listen to when I'm feeling very melancholy. But then you have stuff like the title track and "Long December" and "Walkaways" which are all-time greats. Excited to have both of those first two records on vinyl soon.

20. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Definitely. Miller's Angel is an all time favourite for me. What about the songs on TDL and Hard Candy? Favourites and least favourites?

21. Craig Manning

Hard Candy is, to me, their most consistent. There's nothing on that record I don't love. If I had to pick a least favorite, it would probably be "Good Time" or "New Frontier," but I still dig those songs a lot. Favorites are "Miami" and "Up All Night," but the title track and "If I Could Give All My Love" are up there too.

This Desert Life occupies a weird spot in that it's always been my least favorite of the first four, but also doesn't have a song like "Monkey" or "Ghost Train" that I skip sometimes. Maybe "All My Friends" for least favorite? It used to be "I Wish I Was a Girl," but that one has such a unique sound for them that I've really come to love it. Favorite is absolutely "Mrs. Potter's Lullaby," which lyrically is one of my favorite songs ever.

22. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Very cool to hear. Good Time, I Wish I Was a Girl and All My Friends are all up there with my all time favourites. All My Friends has maybe the most crushing of all Duritz's lines to me: "You go to sleep dreaming how you would be a different kind if you thought you could but you come awake the way you are instead." Love it.

New Frontier is probably my least favourite song from the first four albums, but like you, I still enjoy it. Maybe it's just because the song gets off on the wrong foot. "Come on children mind the gap" irks me for some reason.

23. duritzfan13

all we have is time

"Speedway" is one of my all-time favorites. That bridge...

24. Craig Manning

"All My Friends" is a song where I really love the verses but I'm not a huge fan of the chorus. That line you quoted really is terrific, though.

"New Frontier" is just sort of awkwardly placed, I think. Like, anything that has to come after "Miami" is at a disadvantage, but that one seems especially odd.

What's your favorite Hard Candy track?

25. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Miami, Up All Night and Good Time are my top three. Everything else is pretty much equally great. I was going to say American Girls is one of their best singles, but then I thought about it and realized this band is so good at picking singles too. Round Here, Palisades Park, Angels of the Silences, Mrs. Potter. I don't listen to Countinf Crows as often as I used to, but this conversation is reminding me that they're absolutely my favourite band