Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Counting Crows Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by crunchprank, Apr 11, 2016.

1. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't think it's embarrassing to like NFG, their earlier work is still very good pop-punk.

2. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Speaking of embarrassing though, I used to be really into a lot of butt rock bands in high school

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Ha, I was kidding.

FTank likes this.
  4. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I knew it.

Missed u glad ur here

5. Craig Manning

So I'm assuming everyone like August best. What's everyone's second favorite Counting Crows album?

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  6. CoffeeEyes17

It's like I was saying with Craig, when that's all that's played on the radio (and idk about you but the radio was p much all I had until I was about 17 and got an iPod) so all I knew was popular butt rock bands and popular country artists.

Although I admit I still have a soft spot for George Straight and Brooks & Dunn

7. CoffeeEyes17

The newest one

JimmyIymmiJ and Craig Manning like this.
  8. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I know what you mean... I didn't start seriously trying to get into more music until around when I turned 18. Hell, three and a half years later I still have a ton to catch up on.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  9. Craig Manning

I should give that one a spin. Haven't in awhile. I'm partial to Hard Candy. Some all-time great summer night tunes on that record.

Zac Djamoos and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  10. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Probably Hard Candy but it really depends on the day

11. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

If we're excluding their live albums, then Hard Candy is definitely my favorite after August.

12. Craig Manning

Kind of cool to see appreciation for that record. I remember it not being particularly popular among the fanbase when I started frequenting their forums back in the day.

Across a Wire has gotta be one of the best live album releases ever though. Such a cool set, and with two very different versions of their live show represented. Kind of funny to think that they only had two albums out when they released that.

crunchprank likes this.
  13. TedSchmosby

Trusted

It's tough, man. Those first four records are basically flawless in my opinion. Each one does what it does so well. I think I'd have to say Recovering the Satellites is right up there. That they went from August to that album is really something else. Opening with Catapult and Angels of the Silences, and then covering ground like Miller's Angels and Another Horsedreamer's Blues; there's so much to dig into on that record.

14. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Do you feel like Hard Candy is sort of their Dusk and Summer?

15. CoffeeEyes17

HC would be 3 for me. Aside from Around Here, Palisades Park might be this bands best song imo.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  16. Craig Manning

Yeah, they really were knocking it out of the park on those first four. And they were all so different from one another. I really love Satellites too. It's such an epic, multi-faceted record. You don't hear albums like that anymore, at least not albums that debut at number one on the charts. Gil Norton produced the hell out of the thing, though. Those first three tracks just really blast out of the gate.

Yeah, I kind of do. They definitely got accused of selling out when "American Girls" and "Big Yellow Taxi" were singles. I think the poppy sheen meant a lot of people missed out on how great some of their songs were. Stuff like "Miami" and "Up All Night" stacks up against pretty much anything in their catalog.

I'm partial to "Possibility Days" from that record, but "Palisades Park" is a pretty damn cool bit of songwriting. Always reminded me of something from one of those first two Springsteen albums.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  17. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Honestly Films About Ghosts. That was the album that got me "into" them, even if it's just a comp

Same friend, same

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  18. CoffeeEyes17

Einstein On The Beach is one of my favorite CC songs that's never talked about

19. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Maybe my very favorite. Toss up with RH and AMOO. That was the first I ever heard by them I think. It has a special place carved in my heart

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  20. TedSchmosby

Trusted

That's totally fair. One of those bands where most of the singles are just as good as the deep cuts. And it has Anna Begins!

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  21. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

"What you fear in the night in the day comes to call anyway-e-yay" is one of my favorite melodies ever

Zac Djamoos and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  22. Craig Manning

It's a great compilation. That's what got me back into them in 2003/2004. The song choices and track order are both pretty inspired for a greatest hits collection.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  23. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Still wondering if duritzfan migrated from AP to here... I haven't seen him "round here". Eh? Eh? Ehhhh sorry.

FTank likes this.
  24. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I've seen him in Weezer and Dashboard threads a few times

25. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

imo hard candy > satellites > august