Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Counting Crows Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by crunchprank, Apr 11, 2016.

1. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Counting Crows was the first band I ever liked. Before I even really comprehended what music was and how much different music was out there, I was singing A Long December with my friends in our lunch cafeteria at school. I guess I was 8 or 9 when Recovering the Satellites was released. We thought it was hilarious because we didn't know what the lyrics meant at all.

Since then, I've seen them perform live more than any other band and it looks like they'll be on tour again with Rob Thomas. What sucks is that I may have to miss out this year because I'll be moving away from NC and I don't think I'll be here come July. inserts sad face

Anyway, we had a thread about them on AP and we need one on here! Show some love!~ Also where is adamduritzfan at on here!?

Edit: Dangit! Jason beat me with the tour announcement by 10 minutes :x

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

One of my first favorite bands as well. I like everything they've done, but their first four records will always have a special place in my heart.

3. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

I love the first record to death

4. Craig Manning

Yeah, August is a masterpiece by any definition of the term.

5. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Simply one of my favorite bands of all time.

Craig Manning likes this.
  6. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Top 3 band for me.

I'm sure we've done this plenty of times before, but new forum, so why not.

Studio albums:
    1. August and Everything After
    2. Recovering the Satellites
    3. Somewhere Under Wonderland
    4. This Desert Life
    5. Hard Candy
    6. Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings

Non-studio albums:
    1. Across a Wire
    2. Live From Soho (iTunes)
    3. Live at Elysee Montmartre (A&EA Deluxe)
    4. Underwater Sunshine
    5. New Amsterdam
    6. Echoes of the Outlaw Roadshow
    7. Live at Town Hall
    8. Live in NYC

7. Craig Manning

1. August & Everything After
    2. Hard Candy
    3. Recovering the Satellites
    4. This Desert Life
    5. Somewhere Under Wonderland
    6. Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings

I really loved Somewhere Under Wonderland upon release. I've cooled off on it slightly and since then but it's still a solid album. I just grew up with the first four, so those always seem to rise back to the top for me. Saturday Nights & Sunday mornings has a lot of really great songs but does not hold together as an album.

8. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I like SN&SM and I like a lot of the songs on there, but in the end there's just a little too much. Also, I can't stand those vocals at the end of "Anyone But You".

9. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Ohhhhh man.

1. August and Everything After
    2. Hard Candy
    3. Recovering the Satellites
    4. Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings
    5. Somewhere Under Wonderland
    6. This Desert Life

TDL is only last because, well, something had to be. I think all six are wonderful. I probably have SN&SM higher than most because I think the first 6 songs are flawless, and I love most of the back half as well.

10. Craig Manning

I don't like that part either. I think the story there was that there was supposed to be a horn section and Adam just sang the parts instead? But it's weird and kind of irritating. Shame, because I actually do like that song otherwise. The song on that record that I really don't like is "Tuesday in Amsterdam." I think the concept gets a little overbearing too.

I think the Saturday Nights half is pretty successful. Sunday Mornings part is a bit overlong, though "Washington Square" and "On Just Any Sunday Morning" are too of their most gorgeous songs, and "Come Around" is a hell of a closer. I think that could be a really great record if you trimmed just two or three songs from the Sunday Mornings part.

11. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, "When I Dream of Michelangelo" and "Le Ballet D'Or" are two of my favorite CC songs.

12. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

Going to their show in Tampa tonight. Can't wait. They're always killer live.

13. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

lol I used to think August was boring

14. Leftandleaving

truelovewaits and JimmyIymmiJ like this.
  15. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

we all learn from our mistakes its ok now youve seen the light :heart:

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  16. Craig Manning

17. Leftandleaving

truelovewaits and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  18. CoffeeEyes17

Craig and I were talking about how we had embarrassing music phases when we were younger (It's disheartening how familiar I am with Nickelbacks discog) so it's all good

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  19. Leftandleaving

my embarrassing music phase was liking new found glory

Craig Manning and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  20. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Love this band. Before I decided to check them out in the eleventh grade, there were only a couple bands that I was a really big fan of, but these guys led me to so many other groups and really helped me develop as a music fan

21. CoffeeEyes17

I'm still in my embarrassing Taking Back Sunday phase lol

22. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm embarrassed for you.

23. CoffeeEyes17

I knew you would come in here you sonofabitch

Zac Djamoos and FTank like this.
  24. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I sit in Recent Activity all day waiting for someone to mention TBS.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  25. Craig Manning

Hey man, I dug these guys when I was like four.

It's pretty sad. When I was a kid my favorite bands were The Wallflowers and Counting Crows. Then I regressed when I turned 12 and started listening to Creed. Thank god I pulled myself out of those doldrums.

That is embarrassing!

I had a similar experience, though at a younger age. I think "Mr. Jones" was the first song I ever remember hearing and registering as something that sounded good to me. Then I lost touch with the band for awhile because my brother/parents stopped listening to them. Rediscovering them when I was 13 basically ignited my love for music.

Zac Djamoos and CoffeeEyes17 like this.