Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Counterparts Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by danielalee12, Apr 25, 2016.

1. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Damn I didn't know this leaked. Gonna have to listen soon.

2. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

100%. I truly don't know how Brendan makes friends with all of the best melodic hardcore drummers that didn't play melodic hardcore beforehand haha. Juntilla, Kelly, and Kyle are phenomenal.

3. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Arms Like Teeth is amazing

y2jayjk and carrytheweight like this.
  4. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I was only able to play a few songs from the stream before I left work, but yes to this.

5. danielalee12

Regular

early favorites are Arms Like Teeth and A Memory Misread

6. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Arms like Teeth on the first listen gave me goosies. I think this album is pretty great. I'd say like a 8.5 or 9 out of 10. Especially because I think it'll be something I wanna listen to a lot in full, not just single songs.

7. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I got listen to it last night and this morning again. I'll say that it is far better than I anticipated. There's a lot of new things they're trying that I haven't heard on previous releases. Kyle is the best addition to the band. His drumming is top notch and I think rivals Kelly's on TDBH&H

Some songs I felt just weren't up to par with previous releases or even other songs on this. It's got a lot of energy, it's a lot faster than I expected. I suppose Jesse and Alex have some unique scales and transitions that truly were their own and can't be imitated. But at the same time, it was refreshing that they were doing their own thing. Brendan sounds better than ever.

7/10

8. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

Anyone know which ones were written by Alex? Guessing Arms Like Teeth, but other than that Im not sure

9. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Is that confirmed he worked on this? I'd think that's something Brendan would have at least mentioned in an interview by now.

10. danielalee12

Regular

Yes, Brendan has confirmed this in an interview that Alex helped write some of them

11. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

That's awesome! Also curious about which songs.

12. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Listened to this on a whim last night and it blew me away, friggin loved it. Only song I don’t care for is thieves. You’re not you anymore is incredible.

13. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Thieves is great

My two least favourites are the first two they released. They're not bad at all, just not as interesting as the rest of the album imo

14. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

My least favorite songs on my first impression are Haunt Me and No Servant Of Mine. Walk Away Slowly is also 30 seconds of whatever. My top three are:

Rope
    Arms Like Teeth
    Swim Beneath My Skin

15. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Thoughts after a couple listens

Arms Like Teeth, Swim Beneath my Skin, Rope are probably my favorites so far.
    Nothing's really catching from the songs that follow Rope
    Can't wait to see these songs live at some point

carrytheweight likes this.
  16. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

I love this band hahaha

17. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

johnnyferris likes this.
  18. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Thought it was pretty cool that at their hometown show they opened with the ending of Rope.

19. Smage

lo mein connoisseur Supporter

Very lean album with little filler in it. I reallly like A Memory Misread, the title track, and Arms Like Teeth.

js977 likes this.
  20. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

My rankings.

Bangers: Arms Like Teeth, No Servant of Mine, Swim Beneath My Skin, Rope

Bops: Walk Away Slowly --> Bouquet, Thieves, You're Not You Anymore

Jams: Haunt Me, A Memory Misread, Fragile Limbs

An obviously a Jam can become a Bop after many listens, etc

21. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Thieves is growing on me. I think it's just that because they've done a short and fast punch song like this each album that this one I'm just comparing too much with.

You're Not You Anymore also grew on me after a few more spins.

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Listening to the new album for the first time. Seriously thought it was Shai Hulud at first. Love it.

carrytheweight likes this.
  23. Horrorca

Trusted

I don't know much about this band except that Hell and Home is an amazing album

apprently the band has gone through an important line up change and I think I do hear some differences here

but

after my first listen I think this is very fucking good - not H&H good, but no one could expect that (even me not knowing any other albums) because that's one insane album

anyway short and sharp like a razor blade

looking forward to feeling like a bad motherfucker on my way to work this autumn with this on my headphones

24. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I feel that way about The Current Will Carry Us. Truly some of the best melodic hardcore/metal since Misery Signals' Malice album.

25. thenewmatthewperry Oct 12, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 12, 2017)
    thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

This album grew on me a lot, it's really great.