Counterparts Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by danielalee12, Apr 25, 2016.

1. danielalee12

Regular

Counterparts is a Canadian hardcore punk band formed in 2007 in Hamilton, Ontario. These guys are fantastic musicians as well as great people. Let's talk about them!

2. danielalee12

Regular

Also, Jesse left......... :concerned:

3. StormAndTheSun

Regular Supporter

I love this band. Did Jesse actually leave? Where did you hear that?

4. sponsor
  5. danielalee12

Regular

He posted a status on the Counterparts page this morning, but I think it got deleted from the band page. However, if you go to his personal FB, it's there:

With no bad blood, I am writing this to announce my departure from Counterparts. I will no longer be playing, writing or touring with the band. I have put everything into this band for the past 9 years of my life and it’s about that time to find myself a new path. All for the better.

I have accomplished everything and more through my music, travels, and experiences with Counterparts. Thank you to anyone who has ever supported me and/or the band. Thank you for allowing me to express myself through music on a much larger spectrum than I have ever imagined. Big thank you to the Counterparts boys, the OG Counterparts boys and everyone in between. Thanks for making this come to life.

With all that said, I will never stop creating music. It’s just time for me to move on from the project I started when I was 15 years old. Counterparts will continue on without me, so give them all of your support and keep going to shows.

-Jesse

6. Jake W

let's get hexed Supporter

He posted a statement on their facebook page.

7. StormAndTheSun

Regular Supporter

Well that ruined my day. I'll still listen to whatever they put out but I don't imagine it will be the same at all.

8. YouOnlyLukeOnce

#WRBK4lyfe Supporter

Fantastic band live. Got to see them on Common Vision last summer. Bummer about Jesse leaving though. Hopefully the band can follow up TWFU without him because that album was one of my favorites from 2015.

9. Jake W

let's get hexed Supporter

TWFU is probably my favourite album of last year.

10. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Great band. First came across them because of Silverstein and its gotten better ever since. Hell and Home is still my favorite of theirs.

11. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I'll always be a fan and am confident Brendan can find more friends who are on the same page musically with him and what he wants to do with the band, but I was pretty bummed to find out today about Kelly Bilan also departing from the band due to a domestic violence case. Really disheartening, cause as a drummer and a huge fan of the melodic hardcore genre, Ryan Juntilla and Kelly were favorites of mine to hear on record. I remember feeling they'd never find somebody who can not only play, but have that flare to sound creative with drum parts like Ryan did on TCWCU. Kelly did that well when he joined.

I know they have a new lead guitarist, but it's the guy from Hundredth. I was once a fan of them, but much more so on a casual level than Counterparts, who genuinely always impressed me on many levels. Hundredth never did anything that wowed me, but i'm hoping i'll be wrong about my gut feeling on this band now.

12. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I never really checked out the last album but TDBHAH was 10/10.

13. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

It didn't top TCWCU, but Tragedy Will Find Us is definitely my second favorite album from them. TDBHAH is 3rd, though I like every release from them a lot.

14. StormAndTheSun

Regular Supporter

New song tomorrow. Hesitantly excited for it

carrytheweight likes this.
  15. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

After Jesse's departure and finding out their replacement lead guitarist was from Hundredth, I was in the same boat on my favorite melodic hardcore/metal band of this decade. But with that said, I've been watching live sets and the new guy handles the material flawlessly, they've been playing more older material off of TCWCU, and Brendan sounds better than he ever did. I have good hopes.

16. Larry David

The owls are not what they seem Prestigious

This is a band I know is great that I've just never listened to. Starting place?

KidLightning and ChrisCantWrite like this.
  17. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

I will say start with The Difference Between Hell and Home then Tragedy Will Find Us. If you like what you hear backtrack with The Current Will Carry Us then Prophets.

KidLightning and ChrisCantWrite like this.
  18. StormAndTheSun

Regular Supporter

Nvm, its Thursday now

But yeah, after finding out Alex Re (old guitarist) contributed a couple songs and generally helped with writing, I got a lot more excited. I think he wrote Soil and Cursed which are two of my fav tracks from them, musically.

19. solxace

Regular Supporter

20. ChrisCantWrite

A1R FORCE ONE Prestigious

This is exactly what I would've suggested.

KidLightning likes this.
  21. ChrisCantWrite

A1R FORCE ONE Prestigious

Also, I'd highly recommend listening to their albums in full rather than in bits and pieces. They're short, so it's not like it takes up a lot of time.

KidLightning likes this.
  22. danielalee12

Regular

They're all so so solid, so I would just listen too all of them!

KidLightning likes this.
  23. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

In my humblest opinion, go in order from Prophets. Prophets is a very polished record that leans a bit more towards the progressive metal side. Brendan had stated that while there are some great tracks on the record, they never wanted to sound that "clean" again. The Current Will Carry Us which is my favorite from them, pushed the envelope and is much more raw. There are riffs you will never have heard from the genre and I still can't fathom some of the scales, time signature changes, or the drummer's parts which is my favorite part of the record.

Their third and forth records are great. Featured new members, kind of leaned more on a melodic hardcore side than metal. Harkened back to sounds of bands like Misery Signals and the like. Pretty interchangeable with songs I'd say, very similar records.

KidLightning and truelovewaits like this.
  24. solxace

Regular Supporter

Man, Counterparts is literally one of my favourite bands of all time and their music has helped me through a lot of shit especially on TDBHAH, since that's my favourite album of all time. I'm excited for what they release on Thursday. HYPE.

danielalee12 likes this.
  25. sponsor
  26. KidLightning Jun 13, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 13, 2017)
    KidLightning

And we're not gonna sit in the dark anymore Supporter

I'm in the same boat. Going to listen to them tomorrow, but can't decide if I'll go chronologically or in reverse.

EDIT: Ooh, they have an Audiotree with songs from TCWCU and TDBHAH. Maybe I'll check that out first.

solxace and truelovewaits like this.
  27. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Please do. That's my favorite line-up and they kill it.

KidLightning and solxace like this.