Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Copeland - Blushing (February 14, 2019) Album • Page 47

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Ben, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Philll

Trusted

On Your Worst Day is astonishingly gorgeous.

coleslawed, anonimito, Haruni and 5 others like this.
  2. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Aaron Marsh retweeted this and it made me laugh:

3. Saephon

Regular

This is an odd connection to draw, but this album reminds me a bit of Thursday's "No Devolución" - in that the vocals take a step back and become an instrument of their own, blending in with the rest to make a larger composition of sounds. There are definitely fewer hooks or melodic choruses on "Blushing", but it works perfectly. I've been obsessed with Copeland's instrumentation since YAMS, and they've really taken it to a level I've dreamed of. This record is all of the best parts of their past decade as a band, fully realized. It's Ixora+Twin dialed up to 11, confidently rising to meet the day, riding the wave of a caffeine rush.

I'm just vomiting words, but that's how it makes me feel.

4. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

yes!! I couldn't agree more. That Thursday connection isn't the first one I saw.

anonimito and Saephon like this.
  5. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

Anyone else get as frustrated as me when an album as exceptional as this just goes by absolutely unnoticed by the press? I have found 1 review in total so far...

Ixora only managed to reign in 4 mainstream reviews and one of them was from this website:-/

anonimito, contra11mundum and teebs41 like this.
  6. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

coleslawed and anonimito like this.
  7. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

My commute today was rainy, cold, and the EXACT length of this album, and I’m in love again. Time to listen to nothing but this for another few days until it’s 70 degrees again.

8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

ha, so when it warms up this album won't be the one, huh? Glad we've got at least another month of cold weather in jersey. Last week the record was fantastic to go with the snow coming down. We are expected snow on Wednesday as well, should have my vinyl by then too.

anonimito likes this.
  9. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Unfortunately it really didn’t click while it was warm and sunny. It may be something I can listen to at night while driving, or it may be someone else’s summer album, but it is not mine for sure. Luckily, Texas weather can’t seem to settle on a season so I’m getting a few more weeks of this before the weather kills it for me.

anonimito, travisred and teebs41 like this.
  10. travisred

Trusted Supporter

It was nearly 90 degrees the other day, and then 36 this morning. It's throwing me off.

anonimito, teebs41 and KalValor like this.
  11. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

How do you interpret this? I'm stuck between reading these lines as a melancholy "this is my life" and then "everything is okay because I'm with you." I should probably pull up the whole lyrics to get some context but I'm at work can't do a deep dive ATM.

anonimito likes this.
  12. KalValor

Regular

I hear ya. I was comfortable outside in a t-shirt yesterday and today its been sleeting all morning.

anonimito likes this.
  13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

This question comes up often for me throughout the record. There's a deep sense of submission and defeat when Aaron/the narrator writes about his love, even going as far as to describe himself lying at his love's feet. There is a battle between the desire to drift into reverie and the responsibility he owes to survive in this reality. I see this record blossoming from the dissonance between the narrator's conception of love and the truth of his actual partner. He's caught in between dream and wake, perhaps to a point of complete surrender and blind loyalty.

14. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I see it as him essentially being powerless to the love he’s in, in a depressing defeatist kind of way

15. totallysweet

Are we about to kiss?

Held tight, held tight
    fast to your hand, I'm a crashing passenger
    since the last time it felt right.

anonimito, OotyPa and teebs41 like this.
  16. Spazzy McGee

Regular

So it’s going to rain for the next 5 days, bring on Copeland!
    Listening again more intently today, really caring for Lay Here and Suddenly

anonimito, Philll and teebs41 like this.
  17. Philll

Trusted

I'm impressed that this seems a collection of love songs essentially but they're so much more complex and dark. It feels authentic and lived in.

18. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Finally came!! Very happy

19. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Really happy they got john on drums for strange flower. Oh and pope too!!

coleslawed, Gooddayz and anonimito like this.
  20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Since being in my first real long term adult relationship I’ve found myself relating to Copeland’s entire discography even more than before because this has always been a recurring theme. They really capture the heartache that comes with being in love with someone

21. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I think this why I never loved Copeland as a kid even though they've always been on my radar, well said

teebs41 likes this.
  22. bodkins

Trusted

I didn’t realize this. First time I heard Pope I thought damn they really nailed Jon’s feel perfectly.

teebs41 and anonimito like this.
  23. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

The opening keys in Lay Here make me feel like I'm about to play Castlevania but instead I'm about to be hit with a face full of feelings

24. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Fuck, the pink looks good because it matches the album art well. The blue looks nice too. Decisions....

25. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

The pink is sexy as hell, is it still available?

coleslawed, teebs41 and anonimito like this.