Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Conor Oberst - Salutations (March 17, 2017) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JohnR831, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I have to second this. I feel like these versions of the songs really come alive.

A ways back up the thread, people mentioned Conor's brother Matthew dying pretty suddenly late last year. I haven't seen or read the lyrics yet, but to me it sounds like he is directly singing to / about a Matthew in the song Empty Hotel By The Sea.

2. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

This album is incredible. His last one was my album of the year last year. This one has a great chance of doing it this year too.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  3. I am finally listening to Ruminations lol

damn, this is amazing. between this and Payola, he's really doing great stuff lately. excited to listen to the new one

4. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Excited to see him live for my first time a week from today. Curious what these set-lists look like and if there is any Bright Eyes material on there.

5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Man that pitchfork review really ripped this record

6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

He "covers" Bright Eyes songs pretty regularly it seems from the looks of setlist.fm (I was recently pondering whether I'd ever see those songs live)

7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

felt like he was just saying he preferred Ruminations. The review itself was basically just a comparison and idk I haven't heard Salutations yet but re doing the tracklist of a previous album and adding a bunch of songs does seem like a clumsy move. I really liked Ruminations so I'm not in a rush to hear these songs necessarily since the first full band single was good but didn't really grow on me like Ruminations did

8. Vegetables

Regular

Digging this release. The new non-ruminations songs are top notch and the new takes on the other songs are cool to hear. I think Ruminations will be the definitive versions to me just because it came first I suppose.

9. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I honestly agree, as much as I like both of these albums. I'm used to Ruminations and I'll probably listen to Salutations as it is for a while, but I can see myself listening to the full-band versions of the old songs in the old order and then separately listening to the new songs with the old songs cut out.

10. mirrorsandfevers

what is the vibe?

It's good and the other one is good too!

airik625 likes this.
  11. Vegetables

Regular

haha right? It's weird though. I like the new songs so much I may just listen to Salutations every time I have an itch to hear these songs and then the full band versions will become more familiar?! Conor what are you doing to me??!?!

12. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I love Ruminations and Salutations. They're up there with his best work.

13. wearethedead

missing out

The more I listen to this album, the more I love it. There's so much packed into each song, it's the total opposite album to Ruminations in many ways, but I think that's the point. Conor is on fire at the moment!

14. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

At this point, my top 5 Conor Oberst albums are:

1. I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
    2. Cassadaga
    3. Ruminations/Salutations
    4. Lifted
    5. Upside Down Mountain

15. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Really like how much is going on here. Even though it's the same songs in some cases, he got a lot of different sounds and material out. It makes me a little excited that he might be prepping for a really focused Bright Eyes record.

16. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i doubt that but i am fine with salutations for now. i think its his best output since mystic valley

17. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

im absolutely in love with too late to fixate.

wearethedead likes this.
  18. vee

am i the only one who likes the original tracks on ruminations better than the reworkings? dont get me wrong i dig em both, but the rawness of ruminations got me good. there is something about the simplicity and vacancy that pulls at my heartstrings harder.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I've yet to listen all the way through I think, but the full band versions don't hold the same level of interest for me despite me liking them. In the same boat.

20. vee

i have always been a sucker for minimalism.

21. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I probably like them about the same amount. Ruminations may edge it slightly tho, I do love that minimalist feel.

22. JohnR831

Regular

I can't get over how beautiful "Mamah Borthwick" and "Barbary Coast" are. I think they're two of my favorite songs he's done. His songwriting abilities are really something else.

Matt Chylak likes this.
  23. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

mirrorsandfevers likes this.
  24. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Top 5 Conor at this point? Damn.

1. I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
    2. Ruminations
    3. Cassadaga
    4. Conor Oberst
    5. Monsters of Folk