Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Conor Oberst - Salutations (March 17, 2017) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JohnR831, Jan 17, 2017.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Oh man Letting Off The Happiness is a great record. Right, @Horrorca?

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  2. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Conor Oberst is one of my favourite artists so I definitely haven't grown out of Bright Eyes. I also strongly disagree that his solo work is "rarely special", Ruminations is his best album since Cassadaga imo.

Matthewconte likes this.
  3. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Although I will admit I never listen to Fevers and Mirrors or Letting off the Happiness in full anymore. There's a few songs I enjoy from each. Still enjoy all of Lifted tho

4. airik625

Digital Ash In A Digital Urn is the only Bright Eyes record that I don't really listen to all the way through.

5. wearethedead

missing out

It's weird, personally Lifted does less for me than most of the others. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album, I just think there's a couple of songs at the back end of the album that could've easily been trimmed away. I also think all the "There's No Beginning..." EP songs are actually stronger than a bunch of the Lifted album tracks.

Also while we're talking Bright Eyes, I've just gotta say: Napoleon's Hat is one of Conor's all time best songs (in my opinion).

6. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

definitely agree on there's no beginning. maybe best ep of all time.

7. George

Trusted Prestigious

I'm a big fan of the Cassadaga B-sides too, Cartoon Blues and Reinvent the Wheel in particular.

wearethedead and teebs41 like this.
  8. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

Don't forget Well Whiskey!

Man, Connor has some great B-sides

9. airik625

That entire EP is stellar.

10. bedwettingcosmo

fittna just put the discog on shuffle today after this thread.

11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I have listened to Letting Off the Happiness once when I was 16 and didn't again and I don't know why. Then I picked up I'm Wide Awake and worked backwards from there and digital ash and loved it. Still haven't listened to Letting Off the Happiness again though. Haven't listened to Cassadaga or PK (in full) either.

12. Jim

Trusted Supporter

I agree with this. I am not sure if it's because I listened to Ruminations so much or what but the flow is my biggest and really only complaint.

13. bedwettingcosmo

damn i remember downloading lover i dont have to love and bowl of oranges off limewire or something back in High school during 03 and being along for the ride since...im getting old

neo506 likes this.
  14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

When lifted came out I think I was seven years old

nothingsforeverdude likes this.
  15. bedwettingcosmo

kill me

16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I don't think I remember that lyric, but it would've been hard to relate at age 7

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  17. wearethedead

missing out

18. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

I was four I have u beat

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  19. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

I wonder what the kids who grow up listening to this stuff (loosely, the stuff that people on this website like) thanks to their parents will think of it when they are teenagers

20. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

First song giving me major cassadega vibes

21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

This made me double take cause I assume everyone on this site is older than me for the most part. Thought Lifted came out in 03, I was actually five or six when it came out. I'm terrible at math I think I'm right tho

22. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Alright really love this but I find myself enjoying the ruminations songs way more
    Than the others. This could be bc I'm so familiar with them

23. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

It's hard bc I loved ruminations so much.. I mean this is great and I'll go back to it a lot but I'm not sure it will carry the weight that ruminations carries for me

24. bedwettingcosmo

dang. i feel pretty much opposite. i dug ruminations casually for about 2 weeks and never went back. this blows it out of the water in my ears

25. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Ruminations was way to monotonous for me, this gives life to the songs