Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Concert Venue Discussion Thread Tour • Page 7

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ccsc918, Feb 28, 2018.

1. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

tyramail likes this.
  2. BensonHedges

woke up i'm in the in-between honey

So I just downloaded my tix for Paramount in Huntington and it says "obstructed view". We are front row mezz, so I can only imagine that means the sound booth is in front of those seats and it's not a clear shot to the stage? Has anyone ever sat up there that can confirm?

3. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Either that or a railing of some kind, if I had to guess. Or maybe it's so far to the right or left the walls of the venue block off view of the stage but that's less likely.

4. BensonHedges

It's the center section, so I don't think it's a too far to the side thing. I think it should be okay if we stand up, so hopefully! It was not mentioned when we purchased the tickets that I saw, so hopefully they are just covering their bases.

5. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

I've been there but only for floor shows... but I can't recall seeing anything that would obstruct a front row center mezz ticket

6. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Forgot this thread existed.
    Most of my time has been spent in Philly/Baltimore venues, but one of my favorites is Town Ballroom in Buffalo, NY. I will make the drive up there for a really great tour/show, even if it's hitting somewhere near me. I've been to two shows there (The Wonder Years/Letlive./Microwave/Tiny Moving Parts, and Pentimento's most recent show back) and I've gotta say it's one of the most comfortable and beautiful places I've seen a show. I'm not sure how the locals feel about it, but I've been stunned by that venue both times I've been there.

Full Effect Ed likes this.
  7. BensonHedges

In case this helps anyone in the future!

As it turns out, the front row of the mezzanine at the Paramount is right behind the sound booth. The sound booth is a couple steps below but the set up is basically at eye level when you are sitting and the sound guy at any of the three consoles could be directly in the line of vision of some seats. You can see over but it's kinda weird. If you stand, it would be fine, but prob not best to assume standing is possible, since you're making that decision for everyone behind you.

We went to our seats for a bit before the show started but found that it was a little distracting, we didn't want to gamble on being comfortable with standing and blocking those who wanted to sit and we felt kinda far from the action, so we just went down to the floor and did the whole show there. It was still only half full when the first opener went on so we were able to grab a spot and had no problem coming and going without showing a ticket. It filled up but was def not sold out so I'm sure that helped in that not being a problem. Actually worked out really well!

And it turns out the mezz people stayed seated!

theasteriskera likes this.
  8. Jdaniels

Regular

So the 2nd row wouldn't be obstructed by the sound booth?

9. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

Thanks for the info! That's kinda cool that everyone stayed seated that was able to, as I get older I increasingly like having the option of sitting & still seeing haha

10. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I don't mind people standing up at a seated show, but if you're gonna stand, get into the show a little bit.

I went to see Incubus about a month ago and the entire venue was seated. EVERYBODY was standing the entire show, but no one was moving in the slightest. Why bother standing up if you're not gonna groove or dance or even flinch? I guess you have to stand up when the person in front of you does, but it's slightly annoying when the energy in the room is still stagnant.

Jdaniels and BensonHedges like this.
  11. BensonHedges

It might be a bit. I would think the screens are visible for a few rows, so it's just a matter of if having that in your line of vision before the stage bothers you. I don't think it would actually block the stage, as the stage wasn't really even blocked in the front row, it just isn't the first thing you see and that can be annoying.

Yeah, especially at a show where GA is an option like this one, you know that people opted to buy seats because they wanted to be able to sit. That's why we didn't want to stand unless those around us did. I'm mostly just glad it wasn't an issue to go down to the floor, because we had a great time down there! I had been to shows there before and thought that a seat for a show with two openers wasn't a bad idea but alas, we will prob stick with the floor there going forward.

Jdaniels and theasteriskera like this.
  12. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

#RESPECT :thumbup: That venue is so pretty, I need to get back out there

13. Jdaniels

Regular

That's been my Ryman experience!! And city winery. The mood just gets stale if everyone stands up.but doesn't move or just stays sitting.

riotspray likes this.
  14. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Not sure why I thought of it until just now.... but.... if this shutdown goes longer than say.... June, July, Aug... do you think a number of venues may shutter as a result of the loss of business? Obviously not amphitheaters/arena's, etc, but the small/medium market, and even possibly large market spots? All the shows they had scheduled, rescheduled, only to still be closed for so long has to cause some to close down permanently.

15. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

It’s definitely possible. Hopefully not very many.

16. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Smaller venues could. Some venues have shows every night or almost every night and that’s where they make their money. Some are venues and also bars when shows aren’t going on so they could shutter too.

17. heymattrick

Sending my love

A lot of small venues HAVE to have shows every night just to survive.

18. Cgarnsay

Trusted

Unfortunately, I think so. Hopefully this got some of the stimulus, but chances aren't in their favor. I will be going to a lot of smaller shows when things settle down and try to help them.

19. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

This is probably a very dumb question, but I’m just curious what people think: say we get to a point where places are allowed to reopen but with caveats; distancing, temperatures, etc. could smaller venues ever be able to survive on that little?

I think I just answered my own question.

20. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

I think it'd just be super awkward.

21. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Seen so many great concerts there... P!ATD’s first CA show, FOB secret show (playing under the name Switchblades and Infidelities), so many finch shows, Cobra Starship where Gabe opened with two Midtown songs, Forgive Durden playing to pretty much just me, my then GF and like 5 family members of the band, and so many other great shows. Would be so bummed to see this close.

22. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

For going to actual GA shows again, it's either all or nothing for me. Either it's done 100% post-vaccine and normalcy has returned, or I'm not going.

Cgarnsay, Brent and anotherpancake like this.
  23. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I think the idea looks good on paper but, honestly, impossible to police. Once you introduce alcohol into the mix people's inhibitions lower.

24. I can also see a lot of people on stage being so desperate to make sure the audience has a "good" experience that they may not be reliably great about doing their part to encourage rule following during the show itself.

25. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

plus, even if there are 'distancing measures' in place, it's still the whole being indoors thing that makes it worse. just because you're spaced out in the performance area doesn't mean you didn't all come in the same entrance, use the same restrooms, touch the same handrails while going up the stairs.

i would bet in spring/summer 2021 we see a lot more artists find ways to make safe/distanced outdoor shows possible, but i don't think we'll be setting foot in a small(er) club any time before 2022 at soonest.