Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Community (NBC/Yahoo) TV Show • Page 41

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by tdlyon, Mar 30, 2016.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yeah, that makes sense to me and I think it's a fair criticism for sure. It is weird they wouldn't just cut that part, it had literally nothing to do with the plot and Chang leaves pretty darn quickly afterward.

Hmm I'm struggling to remember a ton of racial humor in P&R other than the Fred Armison/Venezuela episode, and maybe Tom being upset with the police showing up when they were staking out the vegetable garden. Do you have other examples I'm just blanking on? It's been a bit since I've watched it

supernovagirl likes this.
  2. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

Tbh I just lump it in with the office I haven't watched it in awhile since the whole Aziz/Louis ck element so maybe I am wrong lol

supernovagirl and RyanPm40 like this.
  3. Importer/Exporter Jun 30, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 30, 2020)
    Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

I am deeply cynical of any move that corporations take to “address” racism, and sweeping these episodes/scenes under the rug reinforces that. It’s an easy way out, it challenges nothing and no one. People are literally in the streets demanding reparations and radical changes to American law enforcement and physically getting their ass kicked by the police state rn, this feels silly. Not that we can’t do two things at once, but does this feel like material progress towards anything?

like, I’d rather make the cast/writers talk about these things and have a conversation than just pretend they never existed. I think you’d honestly get pretty thoughtful and nuanced reflections.

4. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

It’s truly something nobody actually asked for. Even if you think it is right, that is not the motivation for the orgs doing this. They are simply hoping to cover their asses now to avoid getting shit for it later.

Also, deleting a whole ep or cutting off a part of it is weird as hell. It comes off like some Stalin photoshop shit lol. If you think something someone did is offensive, why would you want it erased completely? It’s just a way of pretending that something never happened. Just add the disclaimer.

5. dlemert

Trusted

I just finished watching season 4 for the first time since it aired. I was absolutely dreading going into it, but it's actually...not that bad? I'd even call most episodes good, and at worst there's like 3 or 4 that are just kind of boring but ultimately unoffensive.

The only thing I still actively don't like is the Troy/Britta relationship because it's introduced out of nowhere, goes nowhere, and then is just sort of abruptly ended towards the end of the season.

6. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

only s4 ep that stands up next to the rest of the series is probably the Sophie B Hawkins dance

kbeef2 and Whalejaw like this.
  7. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Paranormal Parentage fuckin rules too

8. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Those two, the Christmas one, the body swapping one, the origin story one and the one with Jeff's dad (even though Harmon 100% should have gotten to tell that story) are the S4 ones I like

RyanPm40 and Rowan5215 like this.
  9. Rowan5215

oh yeah I always forget Freaky Friday is s4 cos I like it so much lol. great episode, one of Jim Rash's best

origins is baaaad though sorry to say

Mcrx and lettersandnumbers like this.
  10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I'm glad someone else agreed that the Jeff's dad episode isn't too bad at all. A lil melodramatic but Britta beating Jeff to his own dad's house is a perfect characterization

Mcrx, RyanPm40 and Rowan5215 like this.
  11. dlemert

Trusted

Yeah Paranormal Parentage, the inspector spacetime convention (particularly the Jeff & Annie stuff), the Thanksgiving episode, Sophie B Hawkins dance, the one where Troy & Shirley are in the physical education education class. These are very good episodes of the show imo.

The only two episodes that do virtually nothing for me are the puppet episode and the one where they invite Cornwallis to their Christmas party. I wouldn't call them bad but just boring.

12. Rowan5215

it speaks to the quality of this show that even in the worst season we can disagree on the episode rankings lol

I think the puppet and Inspector Spacetime episodes are legit unwatchably bad but I'm glad others like em

dlemert likes this.
  13. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Finished up the series watch. Season 6 has a decent back half but it’s pretty rough IMO. Especially watching everything over a quick and steady amount of time.

14. RyanPm40

I think the episode in Pierce's haunted mansion and the one where they tie up the teacher were the only good ones. The Inspector Space Time convention, Freaky Friday, and Sophie B Hawkins are honorable mentions

Absolutely hate the puppet episode, I can't think of any redeeming qualities of that one

15. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Agreed! Ran through the whole series in a row and season 6 feels less like Community than season 4, tbh.

The last few episodes are quite solid though.

16. dlemert

Trusted

Jason Alexander randomly showing up for like 2 minutes is at least one redeeming quality.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. RyanPm40

Heh that's fair! I just dislike musicals and puppets

dlemert likes this.
  18. natefoundglory

Trusted Supporter

Interesting that episodes of 4 that some people hate, others like and vice versa. Seeing a lot of that going back and forth.

19. PauLo

43% Burnt

Just finished season 4 again too. You can really tell that, whilst it’s obviously missing Harmons magic touch, they were written by people who clearly know that characters very well. You can tell the little bits here and there that Harmon probably would have cut too.

But yeah, the puppet one not great. And the Troy/Britta relationship never felt like an actual relationship. “Oh look, they’re in bed together. Cool?”. The relationship actually looked like it could work when Harmon was hinting at it (the Blade episode, hugging at the end of the commercial documentary episode), but the season 4 guys just used it as an occasional joke. Ah well.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  20. RyanPm40

Yeah, the Troy/Britta relationship definitely did not come out of nowhere and season 3 did a ton to build up to it, but they botched it so badly and just kinda gave up lol

21. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

there are a lot of little things that just make s4 more sitcom-y in a very corny way that feels very out of place compared to Harmon's other work. Like when Britta sneaks out of Troy's room and does the elaborate climb around the building, then Abed is like "I knew the whole time." Idk how to verbalize it but those small things add up a lot throughout the season. Harmon tends to either stay grounded of go full throttle on the absurdity

RyanPm40 likes this.
  22. dlemert Jul 15, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 15, 2020)
    dlemert

Trusted

They also start to recycle the same joke formulas throughout S4. The "He's like the _____ of people" template is used like half a dozen times and gets real old after awhile.

RyanPm40 and lettersandnumbers like this.
  23. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Season 4 goes way overboard on callbacks. Also Changnesia is probably the worst thing the show ever did.

24. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Agreed about the Changnesia

CarpetElf likes this.
  25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I think the worst episode of S4 (and the whole show most likely) is the one where the Germans come back without Nick Kroll

Mcrx likes this.