Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Henry answered what New 52 was pretty well. As for InStockTrades, you can get new stuff on there for almost half off. When I had Amazon Prime, I think it sometimes had comics that were marginally cheaper, but especially if you commit to a $50 order for the free shipping, I can't imagine you doing better elsewhere.

2. Tim

@lightning13, I don't want us to throw a ton of unrelated recs at you and overwhelm you with options, lol, but I've got to highly recommend Ms Marvel by G. Willow Wilson.

The series of Ms Marvel she writes is the one with Kamala Khan, a nerdy teenage Pakistani-American Muslim girl living in New Jersey. It's honestly one of the best comics out there and great for new readers.

[​IMG]

stnewton and ChaseTx like this.
  3. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah, that's come to be required reading

4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Honestly all three of those are required reading in regards to female characters.

5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Ms Marvel is fantaaaaaastic.

stnewton likes this.
  6. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

thanks so much! i appreciate all your help. i will look into those. i notice that getting $25 in books gets me free shipping on amazon, and i already have these two in my cart along with wonder woman and that totals to $28 so far. y'all got any opinion on them? i want to hit place order already honestly. lol:chin:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i was also curious about
    [​IMG]

7. Tim

Read that Supergirl trade. It's good. Not incredible or anything, but a strong introduction to the character. I like the art.

I own but haven't read that Batgirl trade, but she's my favorite DC character, so I support the decision, lol. The author, Gail Simone, is cool and one of @Henry's favorites; I know he really liked that Batgirl comic. I subjectively prefer the more upbeat "Batgirl of Burnside" story that started after Simone left the series (that Batgirl is the one in my avatar).

lightning13 likes this.
  8. Colby Searcy

@lightning13 I second the rec for Batgirl, just know that it's pretty dark. I haven't read the Starfire series but i think @Henry has(he also may be biased because he hates Amanda Conner's writing haha)

9. Tim

Heard mixed things on Starfire. But, yeah, could just be Henry's disdain for Amanda Conner writing, lol.

10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The problem is that they dumb her down to a childlike character and it hurts to read. The fact that it is a direct follow-up to Red Hood and the Outlaws makes zero sense. The character is is night and day between the two stories. Conner basically knows how to write one type of character, and in my opinion, it is only hurting female culture in comics. But that's probably just me.

Batgirl, and Simone's work in general, are wonderful. The Supergirl book is great too. Loved everything up until the fifth trade.

11. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

where's the best place to trade in any kind of book (manga/novels/textbooks/comic books)? i tried amazon and it said "currently not available for trade in" for some of my stuff. i am interested in getting the comics i just mentioned, but there's some stuff i don't want anymore and i don't have that much money in the first place.

12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

If there is a place to do it, I don't know about it. I wish I did. I have a ton of manga I don't want. lol

13. Colby Searcy

14. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

yeah i know of half price books, it's just quite a way from me and atm i have manga and novels to trade in, not comic books, so hpb it is. they just are awful with what they give in return. oh well lol

15. Colby Searcy

Yeah they really are "I have 20 books I'd like to sell" "oh okay we'll give you $2.50"

A lot of comic book shops sell manga so they may be willing to buy it from you and they'd likely give you more but I can understand not wanting to go to multiple places just to get a few bucks more lol.

16. ChaseTx

Yeah I took a bunch of stuff up there and they only paid for like a tenth of what I brought.

17. Tim

[​IMG]

As much as I am puzzled that Gwenpool is a thing... She looks wonderful.

18. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

so should i be reading all of the volumes of all of those? cause that's gonna be around $200

*cries*

19. Tim

Wonder Woman is good until Brian Azzarello is replaced by Meredith Finch as writer. All of Batgirl is good, from what I understand. Only read first Supergirl trade, but Henry said in here what volume it's not good anymore.

No need to buy everything at once, though! You can just get the first volume or two of each for now and go back later.

lightning13 likes this.
  20. ChaseTx

@lightning13 obviously won't help with the DC stuff you want to read, but you can knock out a few of the Marvel ones if you get a trial for Marvel Unlimited

21. nsgob22

Newbie Supporter

Hey everyone!
    Here is my current reading list:
    Bitch Planet
    Saga
    MS. Marvel (I have enjoyed reading all the support for this!)
    The Walking Dead
    Captain America:Sam Wilson
    We Can Never Go Home
    Sex Criminals
    Fight Club 2

22. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

Totally forgot about this! How is it?

23. Colby Searcy

Haven't heard of We Can Never Go Home what's it about?

24. nsgob22

Newbie Supporter

It is pretty good, some issues are better then others. I recommend waiting for the trade.

stnewton likes this.
  25. nsgob22

Newbie Supporter

It is about two teens on the run. The author Matthew Rosenberg is really into punk rock and has a lot of cool references to songs and bands. It is published by Black Mask studios funded by the guy in bad religion. All of the books they have put out have been great.

Colby Searcy likes this.