Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 451

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Ram V is killing it currently

2. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, that’s name I’ve been watching for a while now. Haven’t read a book of his I didn’t like.

Aquaman Andromeda looks awesome too

Colby Searcy likes this.
  3. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

I haven't read them yet but I picked up the first two issue of Ram V's Detective Comics. Looking forward to reading them.

4. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

It's so good. Best Detective Comics has been since Tynions run.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  5. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

RIP Kevin O’Neill, artist of Marshal Law and Alan Moore’s The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

6. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Oh shit. That’s such a bummer. RIP

7. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Stephen Graham Jones, who's one of the best horror writers out there right now, and has an imagination that works on an entirely different level, and has one of the most interesting and original voices in literature, started a comic called Earthdivers about someone going back in time to kill Christopher Columbus to prevent the apocalypse. Suffice it to say it's pretty great so far.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  8. Tim Nov 9, 2022
    (Last edited: Nov 9, 2022)
    Tim

Reports are a bit conflicting at the moment, but…

It appears comic artist Carlos Pacheco is now gone (or very close to it), after announcing earlier this year that he was done drawing due to ALS.

He worked for decades on titles like X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avengers Forever, Superman, and Arrowsmith. Hard week for comics, (seemingly) losing him in the same week as Kevin O’Neill (and same year as George Pérez & Neal Adams).

UPDATE: It’s since been confirmed. The initial report was a lil premature… but he is, indeed, gone. RIP. :brokenheart:

9. Tim

Some good comics talk:

F27E97DC-01A6-4637-BF2C-DA1F8554AA2C.jpeg

Today I read It’s Lonely at the Centre of the Earth, the new Zoe Thorogood graphic novel published by Image Comics. And, it’s fucking brilliant; no other choice for my favorite comic of 2022.

It’s an indulgent, 4th-wall-breaking, autobiographical story that’d be obnoxious in the hands of a less talented cartoonist. However, because Thorogood rules… this thing sings. Some of the gags made me laugh out loud, and some of the most earnest & emotional bits brought me to tears. And, I adored the way that she played around with the comics medium, with some super compelling visual experimentation.

The trade paperback is only thirteen bucks. And, you’re not gonna spend a better thirteen bucks on comics this year (imo)!

Barresi likes this.
  10. failinginplace

Regular

this fuckin sucks. gutted to hear this.

11. failinginplace

Regular

The end of Flashpoint Batman and then The New Golden Age is really interesting. Loved them all.

Borat 2: Vengeance likes this.
  12. Tim

13. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

I just finished New Golden Age, that was really really cool. Been looking forward to that and it delivered!

failinginplace likes this.
  14. Tim

"Dawn of DC" Starts in January 2023

"Dawn of DC" is such funny branding to me, partly because it's so clearly inspired by "Dawn of X" and partly because I can't help but think of "Dawn of Justice."

Anyways, I don't think I'm in the market for new ongoing Big 2 comics, but at least some of this looks pretty interesting with some really strong creatives attached.

15. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Hey, I variant-collected Bob's Burgers comics for the first couple years they made them (2014-15) and they've all been bagged and boarded and stored since then. Looking to part with the collection, if anybody on here wants a custom lot/custom offer just PM me. https://www.ebay.com/usr/mattmetzler

Colby Searcy likes this.
  16. Tim

Todd’s best character really is himself, lol.

17. Tim

Love my girlies.

ghostedaway likes this.
  18. Tim

Image Comics has had a really good year, imo, between It’s Lonely at the Centre of the Earth, Do a Powerbomb!, and Public Domain. (Plus some really cool looking stuff I haven’t gotten to yet!)

And, this upcoming Kelly Thompson & Meredith McClaren series has me thinking 2023 will continue that trend.

19. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Oh, Mark Waid on Shazam! will be fun.

20. Tim

I’m personally mixed on that one because the current Mary-centric Shazam! miniseries by Josie Campbell & Doc Shaner is my favorite DC thing I’ve read in a while. I know they wouldn’t make Mary the primary champion of Shazam! “permanently” when there’s an upcoming movie, but I would’ve loved more than 4 issues with her at the center.

A Shazam! series drawn by Dan Mora that includes Tawky Tawny does sound fun, through!

21. Tim

Damn Them All, a miniseries by Si Spurrier & Charlie Adlard for Boom! Studios, is two issues in so far… and it’s really good! Very shamelessly (in a good way) doing the Constantine thing without DC.

9A6EE2CD-1631-4B8F-BB6C-747E857A6087.jpeg

22. Tim

Excited to pick this up. The first couple mini comics rule. Also gotta hunt down Jenn Woodall’s recent graphic novel, Space Trash.

23. Tim

…hm…

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  24. xkaylinh Dec 21, 2022
    (Last edited: Dec 22, 2022)
    Going through my backlog. I've bought too many books, I have a backlog now. Recently read

M is for Monster
    DC Pride 2021, 2022
    Harley Quinn: The Animated Series: The Eat! Bang! Kill! Tour, The Real Sidekicks of New Gotham
    Harley Quinn: Black, White, and Red
    Adventure Time: Marceline Gone Adrift
    Avatar: The Legend of Korra: Patterns in Time
    Life is Strange: Vols. 1-6

and a bit less recently, as I think I've brought these up before:
    Harleen
    Batwoman: Elegy
    Avatar: The Last Airbender: Vols. 1-5
    Avatar: The Legend of Korra: Vols. 1-2
    Boxers and Saints

Colby Searcy likes this.