Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 446

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Question for X-Men fans: is there a significant difference between the regular edition Hellfire Gala and the Red Carpet edition?

2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

If I remember right, the regular edition only has four issues and is a trade paperback, with the trim size of a regular trade paperback or single issue.

The “Red Carpet Edition” is essentially a Hellfire Gala omnibus. It’s a hardcover with the bigger page size of a Marvel omnibus or OHC (oversized hardcover), collecting every story set at the Hellfire Gala. (I believe they even put the the couple Marvel Voices Pride short stories that take place there.)

Meerkat likes this.
  3. Meerkat

Thank you!

Hoopla also added the first volume of Renew Your Vows so I can finally start it. Really looking forward to it

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  4. Meerkat

Sue Bird and Megan Rapinoe were drawn into a panel in Hellfire. Fun detail

Oddpac87 and Colby Searcy like this.
  5. I'm about halfway through Gene Luen Yang's Boxers and Saints, alternating between the two with each chapter (idk if that's the intended way to read it but that's what I did instinctively). Really good so far, and really interesting the ways in which they parallel each other.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  6. xkaylinh Jul 18, 2022
    (Last edited: Jul 18, 2022)
    Boxers and Saints was darker than expected for something geared towards younger audiences. The writing is really good at making you sympathize with-but not necessarily agree with--both sides of the conflict. Really glad I alternated chapter by chapter.

Marceline Gone Adrift is really good, lots of silliness and lots of heart. Love anything focused on PB and Marcy's relationship. I didn't really plan on getting into Adventure Time comics, I just found it in a store one day and had to get it.

I didn't think Marcy and Simon would be so hard to find, I hope they do a reprint or something soon. Anyway, the main
    AT comics collection for seventy-odd bucks looks mad enticing.

I can't believe I started two new collections this year (graphic novels and vinyl, y'know, in addition to CDs/DVDs/poetry/AsAm fiction/queer nonfiction) I'm spending too much money and I have too much stuffff

7. Tim

8. Tim

Madelyne Pryor + Ben Reilly, y’all!

9. I didn't know people hated that nine panel page of Barbara showing her scars. I'd only seen it in passing in a tiktok or something.

10. Meerkat

So excited about this. I was really sad to see Mat Groom leave so soon but Misty is an incredible choice. She used to be the director of Power Rangers development. This is probably the best possible outcome. Mighty Morphin and Power Rangers are getting merged back into one book. And Ryan Parrott is doing another PR/TMNT crossover book. Lot of fun news from SDCC today

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Alan Grant passed away

12. Meerkat

Colby Searcy likes this.
  13. Tim

14. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Yessss give me more Hickman marvel. Give him literally any book and I’ll read it.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

Spider-Man related:

So apparently Dr. Octopus' tentacles now have a crush on Spider-Man?

Comics!

16. Meerkat

Not sure if anyone else has read anything by Frank Gogol, but this seems to be the final acknowledgement of that situation. Not really sure what to make of it, curious to see if he’ll be rehired by BOOM or another publisher

17. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

What's the story here? First I've heard of it

18. Meerkat

This (Power Rangers Writer Challenged Over Alleged BarCon Racial Slur) has Malissa’s full accusation along with Gogol’s statement. (I’m on mobile and can’t hyperlink) Gogol was fired by BOOM and removed from all upcoming Power Rangers titles he was attached to. He then sued for defamation, so this is seemingly a sign of some sort of settlement

Colby Searcy likes this.
  19. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Had no clue a Paper Girls series was happening much less releasing today

Dodge725 likes this.
  20. Meerkat

Been working my way slowly through the comic before I start the show. I’m not totally sure how I feel about it at this point but it’s still got me turning the page so I’m hoping it’ll really click for me a little further in

Colby Searcy likes this.
  21. Tim

I really need to go back and reread that series. Probably my favorite BKV series, though Runaways is pretty close. I remember being so glad Cliff Chiang was getting a creator-owned series after his Wonder Woman run (which has aged pretty poorly for me due to Azzarello’s writing). I still haven’t taken that initial promo image down as my GMail inbox background, lol.

I remember losing the thread a bit at one point plot-wise, which also happened to me on Saga, lol. Dude can give an artist a strong first page, last page, and engaging cast, though! I bet it reads even better with the run collected as a single thick volume.

22. Meerkat

Just finished reading Paper Girls. Not sure I can say I enjoyed it. Found it really difficult to follow and was pretty disappointed in the KJ/Mac arc

23. Tim

Bummer.

24. Meerkat

All my friends are yelling at me lol. Ultimately, I felt like they didn't earn the kiss. Mac goes from calling KJ a pervert to kissing her because "well, you saw it happen in the future" and there's not even a single moment with Mac unpacking any of it. Mostly it was just a huge missed opportunity to me.

25. Tim

Hm. That’s a fair take I can’t say too much about until I make time to do a reread. I remember it feeling heightened in a genre kinda way but also fairly honest to a certain type of experience, but it’s been a little while, so idk.

Bummed it didn’t work for you. If you liked the art, Cliff Chiang is doing a Catwoman miniseries for Black Label about an older Selina Kyle, which he’s writing himself. Hopefully he does another creator-owned book after that.