Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 436

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Interesting. I read very little Star Wars in comic form because I prefer that franchise as a cinematic experience, but what I've read of High Republic Adventures was very good. The pink character immediately became one of my favorite Star Wars characters (even though I can't remember her name because I'm a bad Star Wars fan). Hope that creative team gets to do more with that cast at Dark Horse.

2. bodkins

Trusted

Zeen! Yea, I’ve really enjoyed the THRA series, too. Was hoping it wasn’t gonna be true, but it’s looking that way.

Tim likes this.
  3. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Decorum was so good. Hickman fans are going to want to pick up that trade next month.

Nick likes this.
  4. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I know it’s MCU and this is the comics thread but if anyone’s watched Hawkeye, is it anything like the Fraction run or is it just superficial references?

Righteous Thirst is awesome

Vivatoto and bodkins like this.
  5. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Is it finished?

6. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Yeah issue #8 was the last and came out this week. I need to re-read the whole thing because I can’t remember what happened due to the delay haha

Vivatoto and SpyKi like this.
  7. Vivatoto

It's going to be way better to read all the way through because there was A LOT going on. I thought the delay was going to screw me up too, but the final issue is definitely the most straightforward and made everything really click. I was surprised that some of the more complex storylines were already finished.

Nick likes this.
  8. Vivatoto

Yeah and they also announced on the last page it will be coming back for a sequel at some point, which is awesome.

9. Tim

I know Decorum being an 8-issue series is mainly due to the pandemic derailing the book (which was one of many reasons for Hickman, who prides himself in getting his artists paid, brought Huddleston into 3W/3M on Substack). But, subjectively, I'm gonna read it a lot sooner than some other stuff as a result. Love the idea of getting a single hardcover volume of standalone, creator-owned Hickman material early next year.

SpyKi likes this.
  10. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Aw man, I thought Hulk #1 sucked. I’m so disappointed.

11. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Oh no

12. Vivatoto

Tom Taylor's Batman: The Detective was wonderful. I know I've said it before but he would make a great main series writer.

Colby Searcy and scottlechowicz like this.
  13. bodkins

Trusted

I decided to wait until the whole thing was out to read. Glad to hear it’s solid! I’ll start it soon.

Colby Searcy and Vivatoto like this.
  14. Colby Searcy

Need to get caught up. Been obsessed with 100% Marvel's Spiderman game so been slacking on reading anything

Vivatoto likes this.
  15. Vivatoto

Nice, that game got me liking Spider man more than I ever have before, similarly to how Arkham Asylum got me into comics.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  16. Colby Searcy

It definitely makes me want to read more Spidey for sure but I'm so sick of the game at this point haha

Vivatoto likes this.
  17. brothemighty

Trusted

Yo I'm excited for this cassandra cain/stephanie brown teamup book coming out

Hope it doesn't suck

Colby Searcy and Vivatoto like this.
  18. Vivatoto

The back up stories by the same crew have been great, so it should be fun!

Nick likes this.
  19. Really liking Spider Gwen so far (and apparently I need to pick up Silk at some point as well!), but idk how I feel about these versions of Frank and Matt.

bodkins likes this.
  20. Tim

I know Tom Taylor is DC fanboys’ sweetheart, but like, how great would a Matt Fraction Jon Kent series have been?

21. Tim

George Pérez, the talented artist of Infinity Gauntlet & Avengers & Teen Titans & Wonder Woman & more, has inoperable stage 3 pancreatic cancer and has been given between 6 months and a year to live.

In addition to being part of multiple iconic American superhero comics and incredibly talented at his peak, dude’s famously one of the industry’s biggest sweethearts. One year when I was helping my brother sell shirts at the Pittsburgh Comicon, we somehow ended up right next to him, and he was a kindhearted gentlemen the entire weekend.

Heartbreaking news. Hope the dude has the absolute best victory lap possible on his way out.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

guy is the goat. His Wonder Woman run was so damn great.

23. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I won't lie, I cried reading that statement. I hope he gets all the joy possible out of his remaining days. His legacy is well assured.

Godspeed, Mr. Perez. And thanks for sharing your immense talent with us for so long.

24. Colby Searcy

Didn't realize he was so well respected and kinda assumed he was part of the toxic sect big very refreshing to hear all the good things. Extremely sad about this news and for he gets to enjoy the rest of his days on Earth.

25. Tim

Rugg, a Best Publication Design Eisner Award winner for Little Nemo: Dream A Little Dream in 2015, also stressed that his approach to Hulk: Grand Design is, appropriately, very design-oriented: “I wanted to fit as much into Grand Design as I could, so I approached each page as its own design. Old Sunday newspaper comic strips, advertising, posters – each page was a new canvas for me to tell a piece of Hulk’s story and to celebrate the various stories, styles, interpretations, history, and media of the Hulk. I used everything I could – pencil, ink, ballpoint pens, notebook paper, bristol board, iPad, Apple pencil, Photoshop, old comics, newsprint, scanner, printer, markers, Microns, rapidographs, sable hair brushes, Japanese pen nibs, Hunt 102s. ink washes…I also thought about Hulk in the world – TV, cartoons, movies, newspaper strip, Rolling Stone cover model! Hulk has had a remarkable run. Anything I could come up with to showcase Hulk’s colorful story and rich history, I tried to do.”

This has a good shot at being the best of the Grand Design books so far. A lot of Jim Rugg's comics art is in a pretty minimal cartooning style that's more about just telling the story, but dude's got a wide range of styles he can thrive in and can really knock an image out of the park when he wants to. He's a good visual chameleon, and his eye for design is pretty impeccable. I'm not a deep Hulk fan, but I'll totally pick this up. Wonder if he'll cover more modern material than his friends did.

Also... when we getting some Spider-Man: Grand Design!? I know Michel Fiffe was interested in doing one at one point.