Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 427

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Made a trip to my local store today

Attached Files:

Colby Searcy, Vivatoto and bodkins like this.
  2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

@Vivatoto @GBlades y'all read the new The Walking Dead Rick Grimes story in Skybound X weekly series? Just read the first issue and it's pretty cool. Pretty funny throwback references in it

GBlades likes this.
  3. GBlades

Trusted

Not yet but got it picked up. Looking forward to seeing some lighthearted TWD fun. I miss that comic!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  4. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

oh yeah. It’s so much fun. There’s a Clementine story in the second one and she’s my favorite character from the WD universe

GBlades and Colby Searcy like this.
  5. Colby Searcy

I wasn't big on the Clementine story but I definitely wanna check out the OGN next year. I still need to play New Frontier and Final Season so I get the full story.

Absolutely loved seeing the craziness of Rick Grimes 2000 in full color and just the references and cameos were great

Vivatoto likes this.
  6. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

i love the idea that “it was all leading up to this”

Colby Searcy likes this.
  7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Who knew the titular “scumbag” of that series was actually Remender himself. Sure is cool when a writer who left “the Big 2” for “creator-owned” work treats their collaborators just as bad as Marvel/DC.

8. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Had a very fun conversation with David Harper today. He runs Sktchd and hosts Off Panel. Both of which I highly recommend for comics fans.

blast0rama likes this.
  9. Iain

Regular

Totally fell out of reading comics for a while, but still follow Mark Millar on twitter.

I thought this thread was interesting...

10. bodkins

Trusted

Read his initial tweet and thought “damn inkers are making 20k an issue, wow”. Scroll through and see that rate is closer to a few hundred bucks and see the artist say she makes about $15 an hour working for DC. Absolutely insane.

Iain likes this.
  11. Tim

Scott Snyder launched the first series of his new creator-owned imprint, Best Jackett Press, at Image… but, only with the help of a Kickstarter campaign. And, afterwards, he took all EIGHT of his other upcoming titles with big name artists, including his first creator owned comic with Greg Capullo, to Comixology Originals. Other artists include Tula Lotay, Francesca Francavilla, and Dan Panosian.

You think the Image guys are gonna keep claiming they have “the best deal in comics”? lol.

(If you’re not up to date on Comixology Originals and are as resistant to digital as I am, don’t worry: They have a deal with Dark Horse for physical distribution.)

Colby Searcy and bodkins like this.
  12. Colby Searcy

I was gonna say, so this is digital only??

13. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Some interesting titles planned with top notch artists. And definitely some stuff outside Snyder’s comfort zone.

I’m interested.

14. Tim

The Comixology Originals/Dark Horse partnership was announce late last year, I think? Sounds like they’re gonna try out different formats here: single issues in one case, hardcover in another.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. Colby Searcy

16. Tim

It’s a month past the halfway point of the year, but I’ve recently been thinking a lot about my favorite comics of 2021 so far (maybe ‘cause the Eisners just happened). And, I really see no way that The Many Deaths of Laila Starr doesn’t run away with the top spot. The story Ram V & Felipe Andrade have crafted is just so compelling. The last issue comes out 8/25, and I have a feeling it’s gonna hit so good.

If you’re curious, my other favorites thus far are New Mutants (Ayala, Reis, & Lins), Jonna & the Unpossible Monsters (Samnee, Samnee, & Wilson), and the manga Even Though We’re Adults (Takako Shimura). My favorite overall writer of the year right now is Vita Ayala (New Mutants; Static: Season One; Night-Gwen one-shot), and artist is Peach Momoko (Demon Days; a billion different covers).

Nick, Colby Searcy and bodkins like this.
  17. Tim

Speaking of Even Though We’ve Adults (which is a thoughtful, mature-but-not-in-the-salacious-way yuri manga about a teacher with a husband who develops a crush on a bartender, by the creator of Wandering Son if you’ve heard of that anime/manga),

I read volume 2 this past week, and I loved this quote, lol:

C0B968CE-9D30-4968-A3B5-F63C387CE64B.jpeg

“I’ve mistaken regular-ass horniness for the cosmic pull of destiny before,” is such a perfect way to describe a crush.

18. bodkins

Trusted

Laila Starr has been great. My local has been slack about making sure it’s in my pull, but the Ive very much enjoyed the ones I’ve read.

Tim likes this.
  19. Colby Searcy

Surprised that Chip and Donnie aren't up there for you

Edit: quoted the wrong post

20. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Static: Season One is good! I still need to check out New Mutants. I should have some more free time starting in September so I'm hoping to catch up on a bunch of comics then since I either trade wait or wait for at least a few issues to pop up on MU/DCUI before diving in.

Tim likes this.
  21. Tim

Going just by work published in 2021 that I’ve read, neither are at Vita Ayala’s level for me. Their New Mutants run is my favorite Big 2 comic of the year so far by a decent margin, and their Static is really strong. Heck, they somehow wrote a “Night-Gwen” one-shot as part of the Heroes Reborn event, which was basically just “what if Gwen Stacy were Batgirl,” and made it great!

The only Chip series I’m reading monthly is the Spider’s Shadow miniseries, which is great but just shy of the other stuff I listed. I’ve spent more time this year listening to him podcast than I have reading his work, lol.

As for Donny… I dropped Crossover, so, yeah. He’s kinda slipped into Tom King territory for me, where I love the stuff of his that clicks just right for me, but him writing a thing alone isn’t enough for me to check it out.

a_cuppa_joe and Colby Searcy like this.
  22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Just finished watching The Suicide Squad and it’s just made me annoyed that the latest volume of the comic is so bad. Especially after the great Taylor run.

23. Tim

Wrote an email after reading Silk #1, even though Marvel letters columns are quite rare in the Twitter age. Figured I might as well slightly increase the odds of one of the issues getting a column, while also giving direct feedback on a series for a character not guaranteed her own book.

Fast forward to this morning, me finishing issue 5, the end of this particular miniseries:

D2D75849-67AE-4E99-866F-9EB4E68E46A1.jpeg

(Of course I spend half my letter praising a colorist, lol. Gotta put some respect on an oft overlooked position which is often just as important as the artist doing line work. Also, I know my letter is basically me, a grown ass adult, giving free marketing copy to Disney, but whatever!)

24. bodkins

Trusted

Nice! I hope she’s back with a new series asap.

Nick, Colby Searcy and Tim like this.
  25. Colby Searcy

Debating on adding the Venom relaunch to my pull box hmmm.