Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 426

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Yeah it’s super hard to choose a starting spot. I got back into comics after a few years out with the X-Men and other than X-Men I basically just looked at what was releasing that week, if it looked interesting i would try it out. That’s not really an approach for everyone though. Marvel Unlimited is good at giving starting points or stories. The app can be confusing at times though.

2. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Lol yeah I have the marvel app so I’ve been going through their reds on the Star Wars side

3. bodkins

Trusted

Cates’ Thor is one of the first books I jumped into and I enjoyed it a ton/found it easy enough to follow. I just went back and read his Doctor Strange and Thanos runs and really dug those, too. Working my way through the rest of his stuff now.

4. bodkins

Trusted

Other ongoing favorites of mine Marvel Wise are Daredevil (Zdarsky) and Strange Academy (Young).

Vivatoto likes this.
  5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Cates books are so easy to read too.

bodkins likes this.
  6. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Oh yes, the current Daredevil series, forgot that. That's a good one.

bodkins likes this.
  7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

@EntryLevelDave

If you wanna get into Thor, my personal recommendation would be to read the Jason Aaron stuff first. If you start with Thor: God of Thunder (2012) #1, the beginning of his era, you’ll get some great Esad Ribic art. And, you’ll get Gorr the God Butcher, who’s the villain of the next Thor movie. And, after about 20-30 issues, it relaunches to the next Thor series, with great Russell Dauterman art, centered on Jane Foster as Thor.

That whole Jason Aaron era lasted about 7 years, through a few different ongoing series and a handful of tie-in miniseries, so it may seem intimidating at a glance. But, I really think it’s the best place to start for any new comic reader in 2021 getting into the character.

For the Guardians of the Galaxy, I’d definitely say the current Al Ewing run (starting in 2020) is your best bet.

I agree that Tom King’s Vision (2015) is good for WandaVision fans, but would also add James Robinson’s underrated Scarlet Witch (2015) series.

If you like the MCU Spider-Man, then… if you know me, you know that popular opinion is the opposite of mine, lol, but trust me anyways: The 2015 Amazing Spider-Man series (sometimes nicknamed the “Worldwide” run) is worth trying. Pete’s got a real Iron Man style status quo, as well as some international adventures. That writer, Dan Slott, is rightly polarizing, but there was some neat stuff in that stretch, and it’s not a big leap from Far From Home to those comics.

If you’re interesting in the X-Men… that’ll take another post to contain all my thoughts & feelings & whatnot, lol. All I’ll say is, if mutants as a concept interest you at all, it’s a fucking good time to be reading those comics.

8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

On the other hand if you like mutants there’s an essential 16 year run to read haha. X-Men are my favourite but it’s daunting to just jump into. Even with HoX/PoX which has done a great job of being a new start for new readers. There’s so much history behind, well, everything.

Tim likes this.
  9. MidDave

Lol my wishlist is growing by the minute. Can’t wait until the next payday haha. I’ll def take mutant recs as they’re the ones I’m least knowledgeable about.

10. Tim

Have you watched the cartoons and/or gotten into some of the movies? And, how into 80s-style comics are you at this stage of your comics journey? ‘Cause I feel like those are both big parts of me deciding the best place to start with X-Men.

EntryLevelDave likes this.
  11. MidDave

I’ve seen all the movies but the only cartoon I really remember was a time traveling Logan fighting sentinels?

12. bodkins

Trusted

Gotta add a strong second House/Power of X. Basically was my intro to X-Men (for comics at least) and I was blown away. There may be better jumping off points (there’s a lot going on), but having watched the films I had a pretty solid idea of what was happening.

EntryLevelDave likes this.
  13. Tim

Y’know, @EntryLevelDave, I kinda wanna say start with Grant Morrison’s New X-Men run from 2001-2004. It’s a really wild run, lol, and theoretically works best when someone has a little more history with the franchise. But, based on some of what you’ve said… I think you should at the very least read those first few issues (“E is for Extinction,” New X-Men #114-116) and see what they do for you.

I also think it could be fun to just jump into the deep end of House of X/Powers of X… but, in my opinion, having at least some knowledge of modern X-comics (of which Morrison’s are by far the best) goes a long way in appreciating what Jonathan Hickman is doing in this modern era.

SpyKi, EntryLevelDave and bodkins like this.
  14. Tim

“My writer at Marvel,” lol; he didn’t even mention Nick Spencer by name.

15. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Alright I signed up for Marvel Unlimited, I am diving in full force. I just read the initial Eternals run. Are any of the others runs any good? I liked the ideas BEHIND the initial Kirby one, but god was everything so boring and overwritten.

16. Tim

I think the 7-issue Eternals series from 2006 by Neil Gaiman and John Romita Jr is a really good starting point.

After that, you could try the 2008 series, which I own but have not yet read, lol. The Daniel Acuña art is really cool, but I don’t know enough to vouch for the story. I believe it lasted only, like, 9 issues?

Besides the 2006 Gaiman/JRJR run, the main one I’d recommend is the current series, by Kieron Gillen and Esad Ribić. There are only a handful of issues out so far, so with the 3-month Marvel Unlimited delay, there’s probably only a couple on there at the moment. I love it and definitely recommend keeping up with it as it comes out.

Vivatoto and scottlechowicz like this.
  17. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'd recommend The Vision by Tom King and Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron. Those are pretty self contained and both are fantastic.

I also now see they've been recommended multiple times already but hopefully them being brought up again just shows they're good stuff haha.

Nick and Vivatoto like this.
  18. Vivatoto

I second current Eternals, it's my first time with the characters and I'm enjoying it. Gillen always delivers

Tim likes this.
  19. Vivatoto

Silver Coin is doing a really fun job of breathing life into some classic horror cliches.

atticusfinch and Colby Searcy like this.
  20. Vivatoto

I checked out the first issue. I dug it. Did you read Plastic by the same creative team? That one was a real surprise. I should also check out Luther Strode sometime because I've seen the name before.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  21. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I haven't even heard of Plastic. Luther Strode was very hyperviolent like Vinyl and Kick-Ass, which is where the similarity comes in. The art had sort of a similar quality as Tradd Moore's in a way to me as well. Glad you enjoyed, figured you would!

22. Vivatoto

Plastic looks exactly the same as Vinyl along with the hyperviolence. It's about a retired serial killer who's in love with a blow up doll who gets kidnapped, lol. I remember it having some surprise heart in there too

Colby Searcy likes this.
  23. Vivatoto

Also just started the first series of Luther Strode and it's dope. I've read a few things from Justin Jordan. His fantasy series Reaver is excellent.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  24. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I really enjoyed the first Luther Strode series, don't remember the 2nd one much but know I've read it and don't think I've read any after that. Kinda fallen off it recently. Really like Tradd Moore's art alot though and what I've read of Justin Jordan I have liked

Vivatoto likes this.
  25. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

The current run of Eternals is so good.