Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 425

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. atticusfinch

Together We'll Fight the Long Defeat Supporter

Ok, I have no idea who that is on the last page of Crossover Issue 7, which was a phenomenal read. Can someone help me understand who those characters are on the final page? Spoiler tags appreciated for the rest of the folks.

Vivatoto likes this.
  2. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

You got me excited and Oh jeeze that was a wonderful reveal, Those are the two lead detectives from Brian Michael Bendis' fantastic series Powers! I just recently went through the whole series.

atticusfinch likes this.
  3. atticusfinch

Together We'll Fight the Long Defeat Supporter

Awesome! Thanks, I have heard of it, but never read it and couldn’t place those characters at all. Sounds like I have some reading to do!

4. Vivatoto

Totally almost posted this without spoiler tagging...almost whoops.
    It's the most Bendis thing I've read from Bendis, so if you like his work you should love it. It's long running and has a lot of long term pay off.

atticusfinch likes this.
  5. bodkins

Trusted

Yea, this weeks Crossover was my favorite issue in a while. Bit of a bummer because it’s disconnected from the main story. Hopefully this is an indication of the quality of the arc though and I’ll continue to enjoy it.

6. Vivatoto

I wonder if this is something they'll continue to do in between arcs as an interlude. Would be really cool.

bodkins likes this.
  7. bodkins

Trusted

I really like that idea actually. “Here’s what Chips up to in the great white north!”

Vivatoto likes this.
  8. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Anybody else been reading Maniac of New York? It was really good, very bloody. Straight up slasher horror comic.

9. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Finally dropped Crossover, but at least the last issue I picked up was the best. No disrespect to Donny, but Chip’s story here was the first time the premise was used to do something interesting. All the Chip Zdarsky/Steve Murray stuff was the perfect blend of weird, silly, and heartfelt.

The least interesting bit for me by far was the last page… which was the part most like the main series, lol, so I totally made the right choice tapping out. But, if we get more guest issues from Chip and/or other good writers, I’ll totally check ‘em out.

Nick likes this.
  10. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

BF846559-D906-422D-8B50-D1B17A8565B6.jpeg

Does Tim Sale not understand how spines work?

Colby Searcy likes this.
  11. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Tim Sale is such a talented artist, who at one point was my go-to pick as my personal “favorite.” So, him finally returning to do an oversized issue’s worth of interior pages should be so exciting to me.

Alas, he’s allowed himself to be joined at the hip with Jeph Loeb, who’s both a mediocre writer (whose only good comics are carried by the art)… and, y’know, reportedly racist. *sigh*

12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

well, we're finally coming to the home stretch of Spencer's Spidey. Can't quite believe I've read the whole thing. Chameleon Conspiracy was a complete mess. It's been a run with some high high's (like making me care about Boomerang) and some very low lows. It's such an odd run, with a lot of clear filler issues, yet all the main resolutions seem completely rushed like the aforementioned Chameleon Conspiracy. Hope Sinister War is actually good. I've actually enjoyed when Spencer has focused on Spidey and Peter Parker, but there's been way too little of that.

I'm hesitant about Spider-Man: Beyond but willing to go in with an open mind. I might start reading Miles Morales though to get my Spidey hit (bring back Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man :tear:)

13. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Okay - I’m ready to take a dive.

I’ve read some of the Darth Vader volumes and the Kyle Ren series that happened not too long. I’m ready to dive into something Marvel related, but I’ve always found just how much there is to be daunting. I like all the main characters and I’m a big MCU fan, so what series or runs or standalone stories would you recommend? I’m just trying to avoid jumping into like a 600 issue run and being lost haha

bodkins and Colby Searcy like this.
  14. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

What kind of stories are you looking for? Cosmic, Avengers based, new or classic, mutant?

15. Vivatoto

I know more of DC than Marvel but I read a few Marvel comics that tend to stand on their own pretty well. Ta-Nehisi Coates has two excellent series that you can read in their entirety, they're around 30 issues each. Captain America and Black Panther. Black Panther is like a crazy space opera take on the character so you can jump in and have fun without needing to know too much. If you are a Punisher fan, Garth Ennis wrote a 6 issues series recently that was great.

Of course Donny Cates Venom is a big one around here, and for good reason. It's my first Venom story and I caught up just fine.

EntryLevelDave likes this.
  16. MidDave

Newer probably would be preferred. Cosmic is fun, Avengers are fun. I’m into basically every MCU character except for like…the hulk lol

17. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Aw man. The Immortal Hulk book is like the best thing Marvel has published the last few years, IMO.

18. Vivatoto

And also a wonderful body horror comic for people who didn't like the Hulk prior, such as myself. It's definitely one to give a chance, especially because you probably only need the first issue to win you over.

Colby Searcy and scottlechowicz like this.
  19. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

And you get gorgeous Alex Ross covers!

Vivatoto likes this.
  20. Nick Jul 11, 2021
    (Last edited: Jul 11, 2021)
    Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Hahaha I was 100% going to recommend the Immortal Hulk, because I find most of the rest of the Avengers boring. If you need X-Men recs though!!

Jason Aarons Thor run is fun, the God Butcher arc is great and it seems like that will be adapted for the next Thor film. War of the Realms was a fun event too. The latest Guardians of the Galaxy, written by Al Ewing is really good too. That’s just about to lead into an event called Last Annihilation. Donny Cates Venom is great but it won’t scratch your MCU itch. Savage Avengers is a TON of fun, but not very MCU. Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man is a good recent Spidey story that I love. Spider-Man: Life Story is really cool too.

I’m kind of struggling to think of other recent Avengers stuff that doesn’t need previous knowledge. Empyre was fun, but kind of confusing. The Incoming! one shot was actually kind of good to get a quick overview of everything.

I’d say you should up to Marvel Unlimited and give a few things a go and see what you find interesting.

Edit: oh actually if you liked WandaVision you should read Tom King’s Vision mini series.

SpyKi and EntryLevelDave like this.
  21. MidDave

I guess let me ask it another way. If you had a friend who loved the shows and the movies and wanted to dive into the comics where would you recommend they start? Weirdness is fun, aliens is fun, space gods are fun, love the concept of Galactus and from a brief wiki I’m curious about whatever the tribunal is.

22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Donny Cates’ Thor and Al Ewing’s GoTG are current ongoing runs that have all that sans Tribunal.

EntryLevelDave likes this.
  23. MidDave

Sold

24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Thor might be a tad confusing at the very start but it’s easy to catch up on the current status quo. I wanted to know more so I read like the previous decade of Thor books. That’s not really needed though. GoTG is really easy to slip into, Ewing is great at explaining stuff for first time readers, he’s great at absolutely everything to be fair.

25. MidDave

I don’t mind confusing because more questions just gives me paths to travel. It’s just hard getting started when there’s like 10,000 different runs and they’re different universes and timelines and things retcon one another.

Colby Searcy and Nick like this.