Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 417

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Dodge725

Trusted

Caught back up with Future State and now that the connections between some of them are being revealed it’s not as incoherent, but overall still pretty bad. They should have released them in story order and not just all the #1s then all the #2s. If this is where a lot of these books are going in the next year, I’ll be dropping most DC books cause I have no desire to follow up on any of these stories outside of Yara Wonder Girl.

2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Really need to go back & read Superwoman. Remember hearing good things about it but never getting around to it, & then honestly forgot it existed.

And, that “make it appeal more to Trump voters” part makes those awful “respect the troops” PSA issues of the Tomasi/Gleason Superman make more sense, lol.

3. Vivatoto Feb 23, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 23, 2021)
    Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I absolutely adored that run. It was one of those things where I didn't realize how good it was and took it for granted until the end. That was right when I first got into comics so I had never experienced the hard reality of being cancelled on. It told such an original story and Lana was a legit hero and a half. Someone, I think Bendis, I mentioned it in this thread, recently actually alluded to the fact that Lana went through all that so I was really happy to see it wasn't totally forgotten.

There's also that terrible issue of Superman where it's just Superman going around a battfield as a tour guide and talking about how great the US military is. Now that makes sense.

4. Furry Werthers

Trusted

Fuck. A call to "appeal to Trump voters" with *Superman* just makes me sick. Just a total bastardization of everything that character and his creators stood for.

5. Tim

What an adequate batch of comics from this week & last.

Crossover #4 was fine. Really bummed that I don’t really have anything else to say about it than that.

New Mutants #16 was good, though not quite as much as the last couple. Some of the pacing felt a little off to me? Vita continues to write these characters well, though, & Rod continues to draw super good.

Magnificent Ms Marvel #18 was also good, but... a weird last issue? The return of Stormranger was kinda out of nowhere & didn’t really wrap up that loose end so much as reestablish it. And, the ongoing “Outlawed” story also didn’t wrap up ‘cause it’s continuing in Champions. Oh well. Hopefully it doesn’t take too long for this cast to return.

Immortal Wonder Woman #2 was decent. More pretty Jen Bartel art, & more cool Martinez/Morales/Lopez Nubia art. Nothing super gripping story wise, but not bad. Kinda wanna check out that unrelated Nubia graphic novel from the same writer (L.L. McKinney).

The Superman: House of El one-shot was mostly cool. The resolution was rushed & definitely needed at least a couple more pages, which is weird for a double-sized issue. And, I doubt this writer’s take on the regular ongoing Superman comics will appeal to me at all. But, fun enough standalone adventure.

6. bodkins

Trusted

what did you think about the God Country tie in? Agree the rest of the issue felt the most flat of the series so far, but I’m definitely intrigued to see where that particular strand is headed.

7. Tim

Could be cool, but the execution felt really awkward to me, tbh. Was kinda abrupt & crossed the line into turning this issue into an advertisement for that comic, lol. Multiple pages of that, plus multiple pages of "isn't Mike Allred's Madman a dope character!?" just didn't do a lot for me, especially when I feel less & less emotionally invested in the main story.

Sucks 'cause I really like Donny & can tell this is a really personal passion project that has potential for something super fun & cool. I'm definitely sticking through at least the next couple issues to see where things go. But, there's a real possibility I throw in the towel on buying these four dollar issues from my shop every month if I could put that towards something I'd enjoy more.

bodkins likes this.
  8. bodkins

Trusted

Haha I had the same thought I was like “is this an ad?” I would’ve been happy with it just being the first shot and let that be that.
    Guess we’ll see where it goes.

Tim likes this.
  9. Tim

I haven’t paid that much attention recently. Is Black Cat doing an Infinity Gem heist? ‘Cause that’s a flawless premise.

10. Tim

Speaking of flawless, I’m very, very excited for another collaboration between Jillian & Mariko Tamaki. This One Summer & Skim are both so good.

blast0rama likes this.
  11. Tim

511B4A2C-FC6E-4F11-AAC3-BDDE824165B6.jpeg

Oh my gosh, this fucking rules!!!

I’ve been a little worried about the Milestone relaunch ‘cause I’m not into Reginald Hudlin’s writing, but Vita Ayala is absolutely the best pick in the current comics landscape BY FAR for a Static relaunch. Really hoping for a print version of these issues.

12. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I thought what had been going around was that they were getting released digitally first and then physical would follow a few months later?

13. Tim

That's how DC usually does their "digital-first" stuff, & is what's happening with the Milestone Returns: Infinite Edition one-shot. But, I think they've been experimenting a little with their digital formats lately? For example, I don't think their Superman: Man of Tomorrow title has any print versions thus far, unless I just missed it. With some quick googling, I haven't seen official, concrete info on if this will get traditional floppies like the one-shot or be saved for a trade.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

This looks like it'll be fun!

15. Tim

An all-ages Constantine graphic novel is such a weird idea, lol. He's a creation from Alan Moore's Swamp Thing whose Hellblazer series for Vertigo has an iconic run by Garth Ennis... and now my nephew could read one of his stories if he wanted. Meanwhile, the restored/modified Justice League movie is an intense R-rated 4-hr film, & a lot of DC's animation also skews weirdly mature, lol.

The full on kids ones aren't my thing, but for the YA stuff, Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass (as I've mentioned many times) ruled. There's a new one about Nubia written by the woman who did the Immortal Wonder Woman backups, which I really wanna get. And, the upcoming Poison Ivy: Thorns looks dope.

blast0rama and Furry Werthers like this.
  16. Colby Searcy

Anybody else read Batman Eternal? Started it this week

Vivatoto likes this.
  17. Dodge725

Trusted

I really loved that series. It was a great way to introduce a lot of C-list villains who were never going to get their own stories. There’s definitely ups and downs, but that goes for any book especially a weekly. I’ve actually been meaning to go back and reread it once I get through my backlog.

Vivatoto and Colby Searcy like this.
  18. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Yeah it’s a super fun read. It also introduced me to stephanie brown who obviously rules

scottlechowicz and Colby Searcy like this.
  19. Colby Searcy

I remember collecting all of it and reading some of it when it first released but never ended up finishing it so figured now was a good time. I definitely agree it's both all over the place but also common threads throughout so far that keeps it interesting. Only on issue 18 of 52 right now but I've enjoyed it. Especially seeing some of the less prominent Bat Family and villians

20. Colby Searcy

Funny enough, Steph was the first Batgirl(maybe even the first comic book series!) I actually read haha. Bryan Q Miller's Batgirl run is so good. Been wanting to re-read it now that I know a little more about DC characters and what not.

scottlechowicz and Vivatoto like this.
  21. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

The Bryan Q Miller run on Batgirl starring Steph is soooo underrated!

Vivatoto and Colby Searcy like this.
  22. Colby Searcy

This guy gets it

scottlechowicz likes this.
  23. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Also, I always loved the pop of colors from this cover:

2AD1929A-F7B0-44A2-975A-447FE94B2309.jpeg

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  24. Colby Searcy

25. Colby Searcy

Also side note: more people should love Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs imo