Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 411

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

684F1608-3412-41E9-B9F0-BCE4F9D6FEA4.jpeg

On the note of “diversity”/representation in comics...

This is a cover drawn by Walt Simonson in 1994 for the first crossover of Milestone Media, a company founded & owned by 4 black men that had their work published by DC Comics (a year or two after Death of Superman).

That Simonson hero shot features four black men, a pregnant black teen, a Korean American, a Japanese American lesbian, & a Palestinian woman.

This same comics line had a series called Blood Syndicate, about a literal street gang of superheroes who got their powers from being gassed by the cops (in a “Big Bang” that also created Static [Shock]), written by a gay cartoonist of Puerto Rican descent. One of the members is a closeted homosexual, & another a trans man. (As an aside, another member is a talking dog named Dogg, who’s just delightful.)

Also, when Dwayne McDuffie wrote in Icon about Rocket contemplating her choice after finding out she’s pregnant, he had a woman co-write that issue.

I cannot emphasize enough how much McDuffie & friends’ Milestone Media venture in the 90s reflected marginalized demographics & the real world so much better than... the entirety of modern American superhero comics? In an organic way. While, also just being good ol’ superhero comics! (Which, certainly reflect the “extreme” 90s comics energy at times, but nonetheless do, imo, really stand the test of time.)

2. Tim

3. Tim

4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Furry Werthers, Tim and Vivatoto like this.
  5. Colby Searcy

Anybody read Endless Winter? How was that? Sounds interesting but also somewhat overwhelming

6. Furry Werthers

Trusted

It... wasn't really all that interesting. It's there, it's an alright story. Pretty by-the-numbers.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  7. Colby Searcy

Just seems like alot in the span of 1 month

Furry Werthers likes this.
  8. Tim

It was a one-month filler event to bridge the gap between a bigger company-wide event (that it overlapped with) & a two-month initiative/“event” that leads into a big relaunch.

Comics are fun.

Some of the creators were older creators, & a podcast I listen to with some older readers dug it, so if you’re of a certain era of DC reader (I think late 90s, give or take) & craving a nostalgic Justice League story, it’s for you. If you’re anyone else... just ignore it, lol.

Colby Searcy and Furry Werthers like this.
  9. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I didn’t realize Tomasi was continuing to write more Super Sons with Damian and kid Jon Kent. May have to check that out.

Furry Werthers likes this.
  10. Furry Werthers

Trusted

It's shaping up to be quite a fun series and really makes me wish they hadn't aged Jon up in the proper DCU.

11. Furry Werthers

Trusted

Yeah, as I was reading it I couldn't help but think "this doesn't need to be an event..." but also I don't think I'd really have cared about this story over like 4-5 months in a monthly series, so meh from me.

But as Tim said, it definitely has a different vibe. Just wasn't my thing.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  12. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

it was alright. Fun to have a quick event. Black Adam had a really good story. Its something you’ll have fun reading but forget immediately after

Colby Searcy likes this.
  13. Colby Searcy

Read that Lobo issue of Death Metal. That was awesome

14. Tim

15. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

atticusfinch likes this.
  16. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

id love to be able to have this but WB have the absolute worst track record with bringing their services to canada so i have to faith (we cant watch majority of HBO max shows anywhere still).

The #1 feature i wish marvel unlimited would add is being able to follow a series so i can just subscribe to the new series i read and get notified when new issues drop.

17. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

YES, SECONDED SO HARD YES

18. Tim

Tired: getting the app to read Batman comics.

Inspired: getting the app to read Milestone & Vertigo comics.

blast0rama likes this.
  19. Tim

Venom #200 in April is apparently the finale of Donny Cates & Ryan Stegman’s run.

atticusfinch likes this.
  20. bodkins

Trusted

Damn right when I'm getting caught up (almost). Still looking forward to reading through them.

Tim likes this.
  21. Colby Searcy

I just ordered the first 4 Venom trades from the library. How many total are there so far?

22. Colby Searcy

Tbh Vertigo stuff is what is most interesting to me because it's hard to get alot of it from libraries and such

Tim likes this.
  23. Tim

In the main series, 4, with the 5th coming in a couple months. There’s also the companion/spin-off called, I think, Venom Unleashed, which has some side stories that flesh things out but aren’t essential.

Also, the one trade is called “Venom (vol 3?): Absolute Carnage” but is actually a tie-in to the main Absolute Carnage event miniseries (by Cates & Stegman), which is in its own trade.

Colby Searcy and bodkins like this.
  24. Tim

If Marvel keeps letting Chip Zdarsky write Spider-Man stories with fun premises not restricted by continuity, I’m gonna keep buying them.

atticusfinch, RyanPm40 and blast0rama like this.
  25. Colby Searcy

I'm interested in Chip's take on Batman. Never read his stuff before