Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 408

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. bodkins

Trusted

Really dug this weeks Crossover.

atticusfinch likes this.
  2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I finally joined Team Wally last year after reading a little bit of Waid’s run. Love that version of the Flash Family. But, doesn’t the Barry choice predate New 52 by a couple years? I mean, Flashpoint itself was a Barry story, lol.

From what I understand (based on what I heard on the iFanboy podcast), the end of Josh Williamson’s run set up a restored Flash Family quite nicely while retconning “Heroes in Crying” into a Reverse Flash ploy. I believe one of the Death Metal tie-ins also did a fine job with the Family. Plus, Bendis bringing Impulse back. The pieces are already all there.

Just do a single (maybe double-sized) issue of Flash where the Wally status quo is cleaned up, & boom. You never have to mention Rebirth or HiC again.

(I would personally then turn the monthly Flash into a Wally-centric book with Barry, Jay, Impulse, etc., in the supporting cast, while making Barry the Flash on the Justice League. But, between the CW show & the upcoming film, there’s no way they’d do that.)

matthaber likes this.
  3. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

I think i associate new 52 with Barry because he returned, got a single story arc by Johns/Manupal than his solo series immediately became road to flashpoint. Flashpoint it self was just a continuation of the Flash Rebirth so my mind just associates Rebirth with Flashpoint.

4. Furry Werthers

Trusted

Barry Allen only returned like... maaaaaaybe a year before Flashpoint.

He was dead since 1986 before that lol, Wally was the Flash for literally my whole life pre-New 52

5. Furry Werthers

Trusted

I mean - I think we're kind of saying the same thing. I would have lauded the New52 if they had actually been *fresh starts*. There was no need to bring the baggage and history and canon with them (I mean, look at the Silver Age restart with Barry Allen and Hal Jordan, they have literally done it successfully before) but they instead chose to keep that history intact, but only to an extent, and then didn't clarify what was and wasn't still intact, all the while generally contradicting themselves while they were establishing the new/old history. If they'd shed the canon, awesome - if they'd kept it? awesome.

It's this wishy-washy halfway thing they attempted and have continued to attempt since then that's left me feeling... meh, about the whole thing.

6. Tim

I think my ideal look for a totally restored Wally West, finally free of any convoluted continuity games, would look very similar to how Doc Shaner drew the current look.

21D698BD-13D3-4FB6-AAC7-02E715993F69.jpeg

That’s... pretty close to right, imo. Love that it’s a mix between his Flash & Kid Flash looks. Just, a bit overly busy, even in Shaner’s style, which is a problem that still seems to plague Barry as well (even with Batman & Superman back in their trunks). Bring it a bit closer to his 90s look, but keep the Kid Flash mask shape, & it’s perfect. Just different enough from Barry while still very sleek & old school.

(My favorite Cyclops look is also the version of Walt Simonson’s X-Factor suit with the hair out, & I’m also a big fan of the Spider-Man Ricochet costume. Clearly I just love superhero suits with hair sticking out of the mask, lol.)

7. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Had no clue Barry was dead for so long. Know nothing at all about Wally. To me Barry is my definitive Flash.

8. Tim

2553597C-4BAE-46DE-A3DD-402C3D37C645.jpeg

This recap in Kieron Gillen & Esad Ribić’s Eternals #1 is perfect.

9. Tim

Ok, yeah, Eternals #1 was cool. Felt a little stiff in some ways, I think because of the legwork it had to do to get going, but I’m into the direction it’s taking. Esad Ribić & Matthew Wilson is a great art team, & I have trust in Kieron Gillen to make it work in the long run. Excited for Thanos to be the first threat. I didn’t officially put this on my pull yet, but especially with my Eternals interest in the lead up to Chloé Zhao’s film, I feel like I’m gonna have to keep up.

Crossover #3 was fine. I feel less sold on the series with each issue, tbh, but I’m happy to at least see this first arc through & see how I feel after that.

bodkins likes this.
  10. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Joelle Jones Wonder Woman looks so damn good.

matthaber likes this.
  11. Furry Werthers

Trusted

I love this look, especially since Wally tended to have a bit more "crimson" look to the costume and it incorporates that too.

I just want a non-murderous Wally back, but I'd really like it if he could like... have Jai and Iris back too, but since every Titan seems aged down to like 19-22 years old, fat chance on that :/

Tim likes this.
  12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I picked up some books from AWA studios and I’m really loving them. Interesting stories and some great talent.

also reading Department of Truth, which is horrifying.

Vivatoto likes this.
  13. Tim

I didn’t make it far enough into Flash to be familiar with those characters, but if Barry Allen’s grandson Impulse is around, I think they can be around, too, regardless of Wally’s age, lol.

14. Furry Werthers

Trusted

Honestly I'd love that direction for Wally and Linda lolol - two like 20-year olds who get their time displaced future children twins plopped down in their lap and now the Fastest Man Alive has to learn to parent super fast

Anything to get away from Murder-Wally :(

15. Tim

Wait, I was reading a little out of curiosity...

Isn’t this, from Joshua Williamson’s last Flash arc, the twins you were talking about?

BA2BC9E4-A66E-4234-AD5E-14735AB32064.jpeg

65808AFE-9D61-4D40-827F-A4E0B0FAA7AA.jpeg

No idea if they went away at the end or are still around, but seems like something you should look into if you’re a fan of those characters.

16. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I’m so confused on the Jai/Iris thing. They sort of came back in that Wally mini-series where he gained Dr Manhattans powers? Or they didn’t. Idk I didn’t actually read it.

17. Tim

You didn’t read a Scott Lobdell comic? How could you!? lol.

But, yeah, however things went down in that Flash Forward comic (with Shaner covers better than it deserved), it does look like the Wally stuff was already more or less already restored. Those images I posted were from Williamson’s last arc in the main Flash book, after Flash Forward ended. And, similar stuff was in Williamson’s Death Metal: Speed Metal one-shot around the same time...

8B355B20-26FF-40D5-80A0-FAB50E91B000.jpeg

(His return to the 90s costume was brief before going blue again for Death Metal nonsense I didn’t read, though it looks like he’s back in his Rebirth costume at the end of Death Metal, so at least the weird chair stuff is gone.)

So, when the weird Future State miniseries is over & the Flash monthly series returns in March, in a story arc centered on both Barry & Wally that’s being called “the redemption of Wally West” in the press release (even though it sounds like Williamson already did that)... maybe y’all Wally stans need to keep an eye on it?

18. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

20210107_191840.jpg 20210107_191928.jpg
    Marvel wasnt kidding calling this monster sized. No idea where i'll store this but i'm overwhelmingly excited to have this in my collection.

Tim likes this.
  19. Tim

Got my brother the Jim Lee X-Men that’s this size a couple Christmases ago. Need to get myself the Ditko Spider-Man of these before it’s gone & expensive as heck.

Deanna likes this.
  20. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Really excited for this.

21. bodkins

Trusted

I’m reading the last issues of both House of X and Power of X today. Started them this weekend and really have enjoyed it, so I’ll put this in my pool as well.

Oddpac87 likes this.
  22. Tim

This article rules. If you’re not a big McFarlane person but are into comics as a whole, it’s worth reading.

Deanna likes this.
  23. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I think I’m one of the few that enjoys every single Dawn/Reign of X book running now.

Dodge725, Oddpac87 and bodkins like this.
  24. Tim

I touched a little on this last night in the X-Men thread, but I just feel like there’s a lot more on a grounded, human level to be explored in Krakoa. The epic sci-fi mythology of it all rules in a very Inhuman (ironic), Eternal, etc., kinda way. But, there’s a certain mutant aspect that I love in a lot of my favorite X-Men stuff that hasn’t been touched on in the way I wish it were.

That being said, I do hope a version of Krakoa persists in the Marvel Universe going forward. This era of mutantkind does & should have an ending; if this were what the X-Men were still like 5 yrs from now, I’d be annoyed; but, the mutant nation of Krakoa as a more fleshed out version of Genosha should continue to exist alongside Latveria, Wakanda, Atlantis, Attilan (is that a thing at the moment?), even Asgard & the cosmos. It can’t remain what Marvel mutants are, but it should remain part of what they are.

Allpwrtoslaves and Oddpac87 like this.
  25. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

Crumb's relevance absolutely needs to stay in the 70's-80's, but yowza when you're right you're right:

Tim likes this.