Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 399

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Dodge725

Regular

Three Jokers was a huge dud. Jason and Babs were useless stereotypes in the end, the existence of the 3 Jokers was anticlimactic, and the end was just bad, especially as someone who doesn’t like The Killing Joke to begin with. It would have been cooler for the Chair of Metron to just say identity unknown all the way back in Darksied War then to have the setup take this long and fall this flat.

At least X of Swords has yet to disappoint.

Furry Werthers likes this.
  2. Tim

once bitten & twice shy Prestigious

Honestly, I do think the basic premise of multiple Jokers could’ve been a really interesting idea. Really lean into the urban myth idea, mixed with the idea of copycat killers.

So, like, not exactly 3 of them. Not in a story that ends with that being basically resolved anticlimactically. Instead, just establish that there’s always been multiple Jokers, & it’s impossible to ever know how many there are or were or who was first.

That’s a story that could’ve been told in a simple non-prestige one-shot within the first year or so of Rebirth. And, it’s something that actually would’ve had an interesting lasting impact on the ongoing comics. From then on, any writer would be able to tell a story where Joker was died, one way or another, or revealed his origin, or whatever big thing, without breaking anything. Wouldn’t ever have to give a definitive answer on who was where at what time. Which, for the Joker, would actually enhance the character instead of ruin him.

Whatever.

3. Tim

Anyways, this Mike del Mundo cover rules. Love his art so much. Need some more interiors from him.

Deanna likes this.
  4. Tim

Triple post, but this Todd McFarlane anecdote is hilarious to me.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  5. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I am LOVING X of Swords. Can’t wait for these battles to start

blast0rama and Dodge725 like this.
  6. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Finishing up Snyder/Capullo's run and definitely feel like it ran it's course by the end

a_cuppa_joe likes this.
  7. Tim

Kingjohn_654 and RyanPm40 like this.
  8. Tim

It’s been too many days since I last posted about my love of Jen Bartel.

Deanna likes this.
  9. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

Read through the Fraction/Lieber JIMMY OLSEN trade this weekend and absolutely adored it.

It’s definitely going into my list of evergreen recommended reads for friends. So good.

28586D2B-0DA9-449E-9620-C99535CBB081.jpeg

10. Tim

Gonna ask for it for Christmas. So excited to finally give it a read, after all the great bits I’ve seen online here & there.

Kingjohn_654 and blast0rama like this.
  11. Deanna Nov 2, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 2, 2020)
    Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Picked up the first Lumberjanes trade yesterday so I have 1-5 now.

Going to be diving into Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing this week though so I can prepare for a podcast episode on it. Also going to read Daphne Byrne so I can finish out my YouTube reviews of the Hill House releases that I have copies of.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  12. Tim

Jaime Hernandez rules, & his Love & Rockets character Hopey rules, & voting (if you’re able) rules.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  13. Tim

Donny Cates’ Crossover #1 was cool.

It’s a creator-owned superhero comic about superheroes & comics, which ain’t exactly a novel idea, lol. Not sure if it’ll stick the landing long term. But, I like his stuff enough to be excited for more, especially since it sounds like he’s gonna get to play with some Image properties along the way. Knowing from interviews that he’s a massive fan of Kingdom Come & Miracleman, I feel like I can see a little bit of both in this.

atticusfinch and Deanna like this.
  14. Tim

matthaber and blast0rama like this.
  15. bodkins

Trusted Supporter

I’m super new to comics (like, the past month), but I’ve been enjoying his Thor run so I picked this up. Really loved the first issue, can’t wait for more.

16. Tim

Apparently Grant Morrison casually mentioned being non-binary in an interview, in more or less an aside about language & magic?

Huh. When famous people say things like this casually, & the internet turns it into a big “coming out” story, it kinda makes me uncomfortable. But, at the same time, having someone like Grant talk about this non-binary experience is super dope. I’ve seen a lot of people on Twitter who are queer & love Grant’s work response excitedly.

“As a for instance, when I was a kid there were no words to describe certain aspects of my own experience. I’ve been non-binary, cross-dressing, ‘gender queer’ since I was 10 years old, but the available terms for what I was doing and how I felt were few and far between. We had ‘transsexual’ and ‘transvestite’ both of which sounded like DSM classifications rather than lifestyle choices! I didn’t want to be labelled as medical aberration because that’s not how it felt, nor was it something cut-and-dried and done. I didn’t want to ‘transition’ or embody my ‘female’ side exclusively, so I had no idea where I fit in.

Terms like ‘genderqueer’ and ‘non-binary’ only came into vogue in the mid-90s. So kids like me had very limited ways of describing our attraction to drag and sexual ambiguity. Nowadays there’s this whole new vocabulary, allowing kids to figure out exactly where they sit on the ‘color wheel’ of gender and sexuality, so I think it’s OK to lose a few contentious words when you are creating new ones that offer a more finely-grained approach to experience.”

Maybe this should be my excuse to finally start reading Grant’s Doom Patrol comics, and/or an excuse to reread some of those awesome New X-Men comics.

17. Tim

I’ve come to peace with 70% of new posts in this thread being from me these days, lol.

Anyways, rereading the Mekanix miniseries by Chris Claremont (lettered by Tom Orzechowski!). Kitty Pryde in college, trying to get away from the X-Men life post-Genosha attack. Dealing with anti-mutant bigotry with (my favorite underrated mutant) Karma by her side.

It’s definitely very dated in a lot of ways. The art, mostly in the coloring, is very early 2000s, & elements of the writing have that energy, too. But, aspects of it still work surprisingly well for today. And, for being written by an iconic writer who was already over two decades into the franchise, it does have an alternative, cool vibe that half the younger X-Men writers since haven’t hit. (Albeit, again, a dated version; a few of these characters probably listen to, like, Limp Bizkit or something.)

I would love for the X-Men to feel like the 2020s version of this era again: the era of (apparently non-binary icon) Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely’s New X-Men, of Peter Milligan & Mike Allred’s X-Statix. The Hickman sci-fi epic going on right now is dope, but when it comes to its natural end in a couple years, I wanna see writers like Jay Edidin, Mariko Tamaki, Vita Ayala, & Saladin Ahmed tasked with creating the mutant culture of today.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  18. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

It’s your thread now Tim. Would you have it any other way?

Kingjohn_654 and Tim like this.
  19. Tim

King in Black gonna be wild. :venom::storm:

Kingjohn_654 and atticusfinch like this.
  20. First time checking out this thread! If ya'll are looking for work by non-binary creators, my partner Rachel Dukes has two new books out from Oni Press. The first one is an adventure story called The Wizerd and the next one is cat comics called Frankie Comics.

Silver Sprocket has a lot of awesome queer representation as well on their publishing side, highly recommend getting either of those books from them with the signed bookplates, and checking out some other amazing creators.

21. Tim

Silver Sprocket rules. Need to get more of their stuff. Big fan of Liz Suburbia especially.

overduecollect likes this.
  22. Oh yeah, Sacred Heart and Eggcream are so good!

Tim likes this.
  23. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

My wife and I have a chocolate point Siamese. Probably gonna get us Frankie Comics for sure.

overduecollect likes this.
  24. Furry Werthers

Regular

Punchline was actually a pretty good first issue, loving that Bluebird is being pulled back into a story again, the angle with the podcast and her brother was a cool little hook. I'll see where the series goes next year for sure, and Punchline didn't interest me as a character at all during Joker War, so good on the writing team here.

25. bodkins

Trusted Supporter

I wanted to look up some reviews so I passed on Punchline when picking up my pull today. May need to swing back and give it a go.