Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 398

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Dodge725

Trusted

The Future State stuff is what was supposed to be 5G so it’s meant to be a lot of new characters but all that was cancelled with Didio’s firing. From talking to my local comic shop owner, it seems like it will be closer to Convergence than it seems now. While the stories will tie into each other, he felt the individual issues/series would still be relatively self-contained.

2. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I still have no idea if I'm interested in Future State, might just take those months off of DC so I can finally bag and board my mountain of comics. For one thing I tend to gravitate towards more long form content so I don't know if a bunch of one offs excite me all that much.

3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I’ve seen this script-to-page comparison before. But, seeing it again, knowing how mostly uninspiring & aimless Nick Spencer’s Amazing Spider-Man has been, & knowing how good some of the gags in Jimmy Olsen were... Steve Lieber really was the main reason Superior Foes ruled, wasn’t he? lol.

Furry Werthers likes this.
  4. Tim

Pulled out some of my Sam Humphries Green Lanterns comics from my parents’ ‘cause I randomly remembered the other day how much I love Jessica Cruz.

And, it’s so sad seeing the Rebirth one-shot’s art by EVS. Especially since this series’ characters are so much the opposite of all things Comics Gate.

Kingjohn_654 and scottlechowicz like this.
  5. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

My purchases from yesterday. Got the Lumberjanes trades for $5 each at a thrift shop that happens to be next door to a comic book shop. Haven’t been going out much for anything other than groceries, but wanted to support some local shops.

6. Tim

N e w F r o n t i e r !

DC Comics will never be better than that masterpiece. My gosh, what a book.

7. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I’m glad I finally added that one to the collection! I’ll be heading back to the shop I got that one from to pick up the first Lumberjanes trade since the thrift shop sadly didn’t have it.

Sabrina and Ghost came from a different shop that has all of their trades half off and I keep having to try to not buy their entire stock.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  8. Tim

I own that Ghost trade but haven’t read it yet. No attachment to the character, but a pulpy superhero story written by Kelly Sue DeConnick & drawn by Phil Noto can’t be too bad, lol.

Deanna likes this.
  9. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Those were my thoughts exactly haha.

Tim likes this.
  10. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

On another note, I've been backing a ton of stuff on Kickstarter lately and it's very cool to see creators using that platform and offering some fun rewards. However, we should not talk about how much money I've spent doing this over the last couple of months. Here are a few current ones that I've backed:

TRVE KVLT

THE TRAP graphic novel by Lance Briggs and Kyle Higgins

NIGHTMARE #1 Reloaded!

IT TOOK LUKE — An 80 Page Horror Graphic Novella

@Vivatoto Some horror stuff here that might interest you!

Vivatoto likes this.
  11. Vivatoto

Ooh you're right, Nightmare looks dope. Also looks like all of these met their goals already (except the second one but it's so close I feel like I should donate lol) so good for them! Wasn't aware there were a lot of creators going that route.

12. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah! Scott Snyder even did a campaign recently. I've mostly been backing for digital copies of stuff, but there were 4-5 where I decided to treat myself to the physical copies. Particularly excited for my Elsa Charretier art books to arrive!

Vivatoto likes this.
  13. Vivatoto

Do you know the name of the Snyder book?

Edit: nvm, found it, Nocterra. Looks awesome. Love Daniel's art too.

Deanna likes this.
  14. Tim

The only Kickstarters I’ve backed are Jim Rugg’s Octobriana 1976 (which is a very good looking comic) & Shelly Bond’s Insider Art anthology (which I’m excited to get in my hands).

Thought about getting Elsa Charretier’s art book & Saladin Ahmed’s graphic novel, but gotta be selective with my spending. Didn’t consider backing Nocterra, but everything around the campaign did make me interested in reading the actual regular series when it launches, which is a different kinda win, lol.

Deanna likes this.
  15. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I added on the first Elsa art book too so it was $$$. I’ve picked up some more work recently though so that’s how I’ll justify it haha.

16. Tim

BEEF BROS: The aspirational leftist superhero comic

Oh my gosh, this is so incredibly corny & dumb, & I think I love it. Wholesome, silly vigilantes with cheesy 80s cartoon vibes, except the morals are from a self-professed anarcho-communist perspective? Yeah, sure, why not, lol.

17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I read a synopsis about 3 jokers and just what the fuck

RyanPm40 and Tim like this.
  18. Furry Werthers

Trusted

it was absolutely terrible but the art was really nice and I liked the look they gave Red Hood lol

19. Tim

Jason Fabok is probably one of the better artists in that DC style, in the same realm as Gary Frank & Ivan Reis. But, he’s not in “I’ll read a mediocre story to get his art” territory for me, lol.

On an unrelated note, this looks really cool:

atticusfinch and Furry Werthers like this.
  20. Furry Werthers

Trusted

Was that Fabok? I honestly assumed it was Gary Frank.

21. Tim

On Three Jokers? Yeah, that’s Fabok, lol.

He’s become similar to Gary Frank, & they probably looked even more comparable ‘cause both have recently drawn stories where Geoff Johns was doing a bad Alan Moore impersonation.

Furry Werthers likes this.
  22. Furry Werthers

Trusted

Yeah, honestly I think that's what it is, I knew Frank was on Doomsday Clock, and Johns kept up the Watchmen page framing for Three Jokers, so I just never noticed the difference lol

Johns needs to really figure out he's not Alan Moore lmao - and this comes from someone who really enjoys Johns when he's doing what he does well, his JSA work, the Rebirth stuff, like... the guy likes his iconic characters and DC history, but his "dark" stuff just falls so flat.

23. Tim

I think it’s both a darkness problem & a maturity problem. He never should’ve gotten into writing anything in, like, a prestige format or whatever.

The best thing for him would be if DC launched a new monthly The Brave & the Bold/DC Comics Presents/whatever series for him, where he can just write whatever Bronze Age superhero adventure is on his mind that month, lol. Put him in his corner where he can tell traditional Superman, Green Lantern, & Flash stories that feel like a nostalgic warm blanket, while leaving Black Label for artists with something more interesting to bring to the table.

24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

The only DC runs I’m really reading at the moment are Suicide Squad and Hellblazer. Im so sad both are cancelled. Especially Hellblazer which has been excellent.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  25. Furry Werthers

Trusted

I haven't checked out Hellblazer but Suicide Squad has been a blast and I hope some of those characters find a home in the rest of the DCU (should they survive the run lol)