Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 391

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Just read through Injustice: Gods Among Us and Ground Zero and had a lot of fun reading them! Really liked what they did with Harley, and after so many issues of evil Superman, it was awesome finally seeing good Superman kick his ass effortlessly. I didn't really need some huge, drawn out fight at that point; it was plenty satisfying.
    I do think it's an absurd idea that Clark could ever get THAT irredeemably evil, even with the super fucked up events that led to it, but it wasn't hard for me to ignore, either.

I'm nervous about Injustice 2, I heard it was a pretty anticlimactic ending? Saw one reviewer say they were wondering why the comic was on such a long hiatus before doing some googling and realizing the last issue they read was THE last issue lol. Was there a consensus on that one in here?

3. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

It’s really good. The thing is, like the first, it’s a prequel to the video game, which is where the climax takes place. They didn’t do what the first Injustice did which told the video game’s story as well (either at the end or just in GZ, I don’t remember). If you like the first one you should enjoy the second.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  4. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

For those of you here who buy various statues/figures, do you typically order them online or from your LCS?

Now that I’ve started doing YouTube videos a friend suggested that I decorate my shelves a little more with non-book items hah. But it seems like prices can vary a ton depending on where you buy from.

5. Tim

@Henry, do you buy statues, or am I remembering that wrong?

Deanna, forget if you're in that Comic Lovers group on Facebook, but there's probably people there who could help you out.

I only own two statues, which aren't on display at the moment in my mess of a room: a black costume Spider-Man, & a black & white Batgirl of Burnside. And, the Batgirl one fell over once, & the head somehow fell off... :verysad: It fits back in super neatly, though, so when I get my living quarters in order, I'll probably find a modest way to reattach it & put 'em out. Think I bought both online after browsing random things online. Not sure what the best approach is.

I think, if there were a statue or figure you liked at a shop you wanted to support, & the options online weren't significantly cheaper, I'd recommend the shop for the same reason I recommend that for books. But, with how pricey they are, plus not knowing what's in stock where, etc., I don't personally think there's like a huge moral or ethical issue in affordably designing your video set, lol.

Kingjohn_654 and Deanna like this.
  6. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I am in there! I'll drop a post in today. I just dropped $$ on a camera and have a used Herman Miller chair on order so I'm trying to not go for the more expensive ones right now. Also I have a million books occupying the bookshelves already so my space is limited to whatever will fit in front of the books haha.

7. Tim

From what I've seen online & heard from people industry, Walt & his wife Weezy are two of the absolute nicest people to ever do comics. Would love to get to meet 'em someday.

Kingjohn_654 and ghostedaway like this.
  8. Tim

Not gonna lie, I’d totally buy a Marvel Swimsuit issue if it were drawn by the likes of Jen Bartel, Babs Tarr, Kris Anka, Erica Henderson, etc...

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  9. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

went to my LCS today for my pull list and on top of that, the owner handed me a short box and said since they're trying to get rid of overstock i could fill the box with as many books as possible for 30 bucks. i was overwhelmed for the afternoon sifting through those long boxes. found too many great things and I'm still sorting through my haul.

epic day.

10. Tim

Picked up the Empyre: Savage Avengers one-shot on a whim.

Don’t give a shit about whatever is happening with Empyre, Savage Avengers, or Conan... but, a random standalone story where Conan teams up with Venom to fight a bunch of aliens, all drawn by the fantastic Greg Smallwood? Yes, please.

If you like picking up random fun Marvel comics here & there, definitely recommend that one.

11. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

All the X-books still seem to be doing their boring filler stories until X of Swords starts, but X-Factor #1 was surprisingly super fun. Highly recommend.

Only wish is for Madrox to join back up with the team.

12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I decided to try read Empyre. The Skrull/Kreme aspect is fun but I genuinely don’t think I care that much. I’m going to try read the #1s and see if it sticks.

still really enjoying all of the X books and I just caught up with John Constantine Hellraiser.

Outside of Marvel and DC, I’m really enjoying Tartarus. Great art and a fun story so far. Sonata is good too. Two interesting Image books with good female leads.

13. Finally getting started on Ex-Machina. Such a big Vaughn fan and that was one I didn't start.

Family Tree is getting good. Ascender is gaining momentum for me. Deadly Class is losing a bit of steam for me finishing up Bone Machine.

Vivatoto likes this.
  14. Tim

Bob Harras sucks, but if this turns out being true, it’s really sad. And, really troublesome in light of all those AT&T Time Warner fears.

15. RyanPm40

If this leads to us never getting the true finale to Doom Patrol S2 I'm going to be very upset

16. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

This is totally nuts. I have no idea what DC is going to be after this.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. RyanPm40

Yeah I've always been more of a Marvel guy, but this still makes me very sad to hear

Also, can't believe DC Collectibles is just... Gone. People love that stuff

18. Tim

The collectibles side will probably just be licensed out, which is whatever. They were already partnering with McFarlane Toys recently. That not being in house doesn't bother me.

The state of the comic book industry going forward, though, does.

2020 already saw the firing of Dan Didio, followed by the split from Diamond Comics Distribution in the midst of a pandemic that's put a lot of stress on shops. What's gonna happen next? I don't think DC Comics as a whole will cease to exist any time soon, considering its value as an intellectual property farm for the corporate overlords, but the company not giving a shit about the industry (as ineffective as it may be in its current form) sucks. Who knows how this will affect comic creators & smaller shops going forward.

Kingjohn_654 and RyanPm40 like this.
  19. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I'm not familiar with this, what do you mean?

20. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Damn I loved what Mark Doyle did with the Bat books back in N52 era ish. Not sure what he's been doing recently but I can't imagine it was bad

21. RyanPm40

They had to cut the season short due to COVID so I guess they edited episode 9 in a way that made it feel kind of like a finale, but left some loose ends. I haven't finished the season yet though

Colby Searcy likes this.
  22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

yeah that's about it. good episode, weak finale. but they did well with what they had. I'm going to be so sad if it's cancelled.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  23. Tim

If I weren't mostly avoiding monthly superhero comics at the moment (for mostly financial reasons), there's a good chance I'd put this on my pull. Looks like it's gonna harken back to classic Marvel vibes in all the right ways.

24. Tim

Whatever bargaining is required to convince corporate overlords to keep publishing comics.

#readmorecomics

25. Tim

Jen Bartel is just... the best.