Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 390

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

RIP Joe Sinnott. Legendary inker most associated w/ the Fantastic Four, & w/ Jack Kirby. Remember seeing an article a few years ago about how, even as a 90-yr-old at the time, he was still regularly inking the Spider-Man newpaper strips; not sure how recently his last work was.

2. Tim

559C8C1D-DFE2-496D-B0B8-4EA2184F12BA.jpeg

(from Milestone Media’s Blood Syndicate #4, by Ivan Velez Jr, Dwayne McDuffie, Arvell Jones, James W Fry, Andrew Pepoy, & Michelle Wrightson)

3. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Finally got around to Immortal Hulk and damn it's good

4. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

Tim, Deanna and scottlechowicz like this.
  5. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Yes!!!

Tim likes this.
  6. CobraKidJon

all my friends hyped to see a new person write jason

7. CobraKidJon

Tim likes this.
  8. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Glad he’s out. I do hope whoever picks up the reins of Todd considers keeping Bizzaro and Artemis around. I like that trio.

Vivatoto and Furry Werthers like this.
  9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Artemis is such a cool character. Loved her in the WW book I just read.

Vivatoto likes this.
  10. Tim

According to my Facebook, today marks 12 years since Michael Turner passed away.

He was a product of that whole Silvestri Top Cow scene & drew in that sexy, cheesecake-y way that I’d probably make fun of if I stumbled upon it w/out context today, lol. But, I loved that shit when I was a kid. And, I still sometimes see illustrations of his now & then that I genuinely love, as some of the better work in that Jim Lee vein.

Plus, he would come to the Pittsburgh Comic Con in the days when not a lot of big creators regularly came. I think every year that his cancer wasn’t in full swing, he’d be there. Got this issue signed by him somewhere in my comic boxes:

1C070DCB-BC71-4E34-B596-6F514C5D5BA8.jpeg

Dunno, if he were still alive, whether his career would’ve looked more like Greg Capullo’s, Jim Lee’s, or J Scott Campbell’s. Maybe I’d be super disappointed by him in 2020. But, it’s still such a bummer that he died so young.

11. Tim

The only drawback to all the dope comics I see on Twitter is that I prefer the print comic experience & always get bummed I'll never hold 'em in my hands on good paper, lol.

Deanna likes this.
  12. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Completed my collection of all single issues of every Hill House Comics title today. Excited to run through them soon

13. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I have the statue for his supergirl from Batman / Superman. And I absolutely love it.

Also, his variant for Identity Crisis with all the cowls hanging on the racks was what got me back into monthly comics.

1EB0ADA1-E79F-43A3-8EF5-91A3B1987486.jpeg

14. Tim

Erica Henderson is a true artist.

15. Tim

Marvel partnering w/ Scholastic (Raina Telgemeier; Dav Pilkey) for a series of young reader graphic novels, starting w/ Miles Morales. Can't wait to see these in kids' school book orders & store shelves & the hands of kids in my neighborhood & church. Finally gonna reach 'em kids watching Into the Spider-Verse in a way those IDW comics can't (which, I like 'em for what they are, but monthly comics aren't how you reach most kids in 2020, lol).

16. Tim

Oh dang, an hour & a half interview w/ Ann Nocenti (writer of Daredevil, editor of Claremont's X-Men, etc.):

Excited for this.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  17. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Sigh. Tom King writing a Rorschach mini series. Can’t say anything there interests me much.

18. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Why does Rorsharch need a mini series? Is DC going to try “redeem” him?

scottlechowicz likes this.
  19. Tim

Jorge Fornés does pretty good art. But, playing explicitly in the world of Watchmen feels like exactly the kind of thing that'd bring out Tom King's worst flexes & leave little room for what I love about his better work.

I'm excited for Strange Adventures to wrap up so I can read that in a collected volume. I'm curious about Batman & Catwoman. I'm almost certainly not gonna read Rorschach, just like how I didn't read Heroes in Crisis.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  20. Tim

Oh man, I irrationally hate this, lol:

Universal Content Productions Launches Comics Unit UCP Graphic (EXCLUSIVE) – Variety

"The launch of a new graphic-novel imprint extends a strategy at UCP under studio president Dawn Olmstead of using other platforms and forms of media to create new intellectual property that could be eventually developed by the studio for multiple platforms."

I know that these companies view comics as cheap research & development to be exploited for "real" mediums like film & television, not as its own beautiful art form. I know that's a big part of Marvel, DC, Millarworld, Skybound, etc. these days. Like, yeah, I know. But, this is particularly annoying to me right now, lol. *sigh*

Read more comics, y'all.

21. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Grabbed the free comic book day issue of Power Rangers. Always impressed by these. Need to pick up the stories involving Drakkon and Ranger Slayer sometime soon.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  22. Tim

Very interested in this. I've aggressively reduced my pull list, to the point where Ms Marvel & IDW Spider-Man are the only ongoing titles I'm subscribed to (though I also have various one-off issues on order), but I was thinking I might add a new Image ongoing if the right one came along. And, I love how much Chip's grown as a writer in recent years... so this might be the one.

23. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

What's IDW Spider-Man?

24. Tim

Its real name is “Marvel Action: Spider-Man.” For the past year & a half, IDW has been putting out young reader comics with Marvel characters. I like the Spider-Man one a lot ‘cause it’s just a simple, standalone series where Peter, Miles, & Gwen are all classmates who fight together as a team.

Feels funny having finally dropped all my Marvel Spider-Man titles, even the Miles one, but kept the IDW one that’s not in Marvel’s continuity & is meant for kids, lol. But, I needed to scale back on my monthly comic commitments, & I was also getting burnt out on keeping up with Marvel continuity. (I’m happy to have Ms Marvel, who I’ve followed since she first started, as my one remaining Marvel ongoing series.)

The youthful innocence & simplicity of IDW’s Spidey feels nice, lol.

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  25. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

The latest Amazing Spider-Man was really good. Excited to see where it goes.