Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 388

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Finishing up January 2019. So almost all caught up with what’s available on DC Universe app.

Scott Snyder’s justice league is really, really bad.

2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

That's what I've heard which is sad since I love his Batman run so much and Jorge Jiménez is one of my favourite artists working at DC

3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Maybe Snyders & Justice Leagues just aren't a great combo, lol.

I'm not super into the League as a franchise overall, but I do still need to get that Priest run that happened between Hitch & Snyder. Didn't seem to set the comics world as a whole on fire, but people who generally dig Priest seemed to generally dig it, & that's me.

4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I've never read any Justice League really but was hoping Snyder/Jiménez would give me a good entry.

5. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

It is such a slog. I’ve read every book dc published in its main line in 2018 (excluding Scott Lobdell books) on the DC app and it’s by far the worst book dc has. Even stuff like Batgirl, which is entirely mediocre, is at least coherent.

6. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

What I read of Geoff Johns' run on Justice League I really enjoyed

scottlechowicz likes this.
  7. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Hey all, wanted to get some quick opinions here since I know at least a few of us have placed InStockTrades orders. Do you think it helps or hurts the industry to buy from them right now?

The comic shop I was going to closed just before COVID hit and I was a little meh on the only other one I had a chance to check out after that. Most local shops are 15-20 miles from me give or take and I have no idea if some have opened up yet.

8. Tim

I personally wouldn't frame it as hurting "the industry," which is way more up to what bigger companies do than what Deanna does.

A better way to see it is, I think, "how do I want to spend my money?" Which, has a lot of factors that go into it, lol. How much money can you spend at a time, & how much reading material do you want to acquire at a time? And, is there a particular smaller shop (or shops) where your dollars would go further towards helping them & their shop, personally, that you'd like to support?

I have somewhat altered my spending, not just on comics, to better follow that principle, though not perfectly. But, yeah, for example, there's a Pittsburgh-style restaurant near me that had a Primantis open near it recently that, between the Primantis competition & the pandemic, I've felt more strongly about supporting whenever I wanna get carryout. Just 'cause, if I'm gonna spend that money either way, & I already like that restaurant, might as well prioritize them, right?

Same w/ a couple of the shops I like to support.

Deanna likes this.
  9. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Very fair point. I’ll dig into some other local stores and see if they’re taking call-in or online orders. I would definitely prefer to support an actual shop right now.

Tim likes this.
  10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I so badly want a Phil Noto piece

11. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Same.

12. Tim

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  13. Colby Searcy

Damn they aren't fucking around

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Just placed an order for The Wilds and Pretty Deadly Vol. 1-3. Ultimately ended up buying from a bookstore that has a few locations here in CO, one of which I had been to before. Excited to get them and read up!

Also, I might have Vita Ayala on the podcast soon, but I'm not sure which comic I'd like to discuss with them. Leaning towards The Wilds, Age of X-Man: Prisoner X, or Morbius. Has anyone read any of those?

15. Tim

I mean, definitely not Prisoner X as the main focus, since that was just a miniseries tie in to an event that only existed to kill time before the Hickman relaunch, lol.

I’ve never read any of their work, but The Wilds could be a good choice to lean into ‘cause it’s creator owned. I think Morbius is still going, & they’re also writing the upcoming Children of the Atom series at Marvel under Hickman’s Marvel line. So, touching on both of those, doing a little research beforehand on ‘em, would probably be good.

Deanna likes this.
  16. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I thought Prisoner X might tie in to something as many things do at Marvel. I might just go with The Wilds and then ask Vita about current/upcoming projects at the end since I like to keep my episodes to single topics. Thank you for the input!!

Tim likes this.
  17. Colby Searcy

Went to my LCS for the first time in like 4 years today and it felt really good busy looking around finding something that seemed interesting without really knowing what I was looking for in specific.

Ended up picking up:

Nailbiter Returns #1
    Basketful of Heads #1
    The Dollhouse Family #1
    Batman Pennyworth R.I.P. #1
    Joker: Killer Smile Book 1-3

@Vivatoto you read Nailbiter yet??

Also the Joker books are almost like book bound, don't know what that's called but they look really nice.

Anybody read any of these?

Borat 2: Vengeance and Deanna like this.
  18. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I’ve enjoyed the Hill House comics! I need to figure out if I missed any issues of Basketful of Heads and Dollhouse though.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  19. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Yeah NB Returns seems like it's going to be great. Glad the art and everything is still the same, and I'm glad they built on that crazy final scene from the original series. Basketful of Heads is tremendous and Dollhouse is pretty great too, definitely takes some wild turns. All of the Hill House comics have been great

Colby Searcy likes this.
  20. Colby Searcy

Read Basketful today and it was quite different than I thought it was going to be. Seems like Issue #2 is gonna get crazy. Really enjoy the artwork!

I was hoping we'd get some sort of closure after the ending of the OG Nailbiter. Definitely did not disappoint! I don't know if it's a different colorist or what but the art pops more here and I love it!

Have all the Hill House Comics ended their runs now do you know?

Deanna likes this.
  21. Vivatoto

Just Dollhouse and Basketfull of Heads

Colby Searcy likes this.
  22. Tim

134024B9-D309-45DC-99F4-592C7F7D82E6.jpeg

This is one of the first manga to be officially brought over to America, in 1987. And, that tag line on the first issue is so hilarious to me.

23. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

24. Vivatoto

Ugh happy for him but man does that suck, he's my favorite artist and I was eating up everything he was doing at DC. It's a bummer he couldn't find happiness that way because he sure brought a lot to me.

Colby Searcy and scottlechowicz like this.
  25. Furry Werthers

Trusted

I'd like Three Jokers to be interesting and fun but I have a feeling it's going to just annoy me :/