Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 387

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I finally bought the walking dead humble bundle. I am excited to read it since I was in love with the show before it got bad.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

This looks like it's gonna be so rad.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  3. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

a_cuppa_joe likes this.
  4. Tim

All these Marvel & DC issues going digital-only really are something.

If you're not keeping up, they've been canceling print issues of some of their lower profile miniseries (most of which already had some issues released), & also for some of their ongoing series that were already coming to a close. It's in response to the way their overstuffed publishing schedules have been disrupted by the virus. The issues are still getting regular digital releases, & they'll still be collected as trades, but seemingly no plans for floppies.

I get it. Honestly, for miniseries that hadn't come out yet, it's probably a really good idea. But, it's a weird thing to get into as far as underselling series that've already started in print are concerned, & something that really does a number on my willingness to buy mainstream single issues. Like, if I'd been pulling Ghost Spider, I'd be pretty mad.

smowashere and Colby Searcy like this.
  5. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Definitely a strange move, I'd hate it if I bought singles and couldn't physically own #'s x-z or whatnot

Tim likes this.
  6. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

yeah, i'm bummed about those titles going digital only - i was reading a lot those and in general i tend to enjoy the oddball little Marvel books. not a fan of buying digital and it'll feel like double dipping to get a trade release when I have the majority of the issues. unless, for the collected edition, they do something like add in enough enticing bonus material/more issues, i dunno.

bittersweet news. i don't buy variants much (well, new comics halting due to the pandemic kinda changed that) but The Comic Mint had a pretty sweet Gwenom variant for the next Ghost Spider - that's all vanished now. oof.

Tim likes this.
  7. Tim

lol.

(The embed seems to cut off a funny bottom row gag.)

Deanna likes this.
  8. Tim

Not the biggest Millar fan, but this is a good interview.

9. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Lol, shoot interview

Nick likes this.
  10. Tim

They do call themselves “Cartoonist Kayfabe,” lol.

Their “shoot interviews” are really good, if long form conversations w/ comics people interest you. I believe they’re often available in both YouTube & podcast form?

11. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I’ve just never heard that outside of wrestling. I’ll check it out eventually

12. Colby Searcy

Doubt anyone else in here has read them but I've been really enjoying all of these YA OGN DC had been putting out lately.

So far I've read:

Zatanna & The House of Secrets
    The Lost Carnival: A Dick Grayson Story
    Batman Tales: Once Upon A Crime

Also have 3 more checked out from the library currently

scottlechowicz likes this.
  13. Tim

Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass is technically part of that whole thing & is the best DC comic I read last year. Though, funny enough, Marino Tamaki somehow got away w/ putting one “fuck” in it.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  14. Colby Searcy

That's one of the ones I have checked out!

Also, Gotham High and The Oracle Code.

I couldn't really seem to find a full list of that line or even what that line is called but I've been enjoying it alot.

15. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

My LCS didn't get Snotgirl Vol. 3 in today :(

16. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Got a bag full of floppies and it finally feels like Wednesday again

Colby Searcy and a_cuppa_joe like this.
  17. Tim

You know those "Marvel Tales" reprint one-shots they've been doing for the past, like, year & a half? $7.99 for approximately 3 issues of content, give or take (depending on issue size).

I've found them frustrating, even though the first dozen of 'em had nice Jen Bartel covers & they're all given the high quality treatment of those facsimile editions, because the stories they choose tend to be random stray issues that don't represent full stories. And, include information on collections to read the rest. So, it's like you're paying eight bucks for three issue-length advertisements for trades.

Well, in August, they're doing a "Maestro: Future Imperfect" one to go w/ the Maestro miniseries launching then. And, what it reprints is the whole original Hulk: Future Imperfect story by Peter David & George Pérez.

Not my favorite story, & I think I have a trade of it at my parent's house, but I still find that decision super exciting for the future of these reprints. Maybe we'll eventually get one reprinting the Infinity Gauntlet prelude story Thanos Quest, or Claremont & Lee's X-Men #1-3, or one reprinting the 3-issue story where Carnage first appeared, or Lee & Ditko's "If This Be My Destiny" from ASM #31-33?

I could legitimately see myself double dipping for something I already own in that format if the right story got reprinted.

Aregala and Borat 2: Vengeance like this.
  18. Tim

Think I've owned two of these, plus a trade. Think the original one I owned as a kid was the Magneto one?

Kingjohn_654 and AP_Punk like this.
  19. Tim

Topical w/ my last post, lol. Love this "just for fun" X-Men illustration. Gimme a 90s X-Men one-shot by Dauterman, please.

Kingjohn_654, Nick and ghostedaway like this.
  20. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

That's gorgeous

21. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

reading Zdarsky's Daredevil at the moment and really enjoying it. the art in the first arc is lovely. not a huge fan of the change in the second one though. I do wish the art was more like the covers they're brilliant.

I'm also reading Analog and Lemire's run on Old Man Logan. Same issue with OML, once Sorrentino leaves it I got a little upset, I adore his work. It's such a treat to take in.

22. Tim

2022 is so far away, like, do any of us know that we'll still be alive then? But, I'm super pumped about her having a full graphic novel both written & drawn by her on the way. Sounds dope.

scottlechowicz and Colby Searcy like this.
  23. Tim

Gotta start reading that Daredevil run. Chip Zdarsky has really snuck his way into being in Marvel's top tier of writers.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  24. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Marvel added a few more on-going titles to their digital-only catalog - Jane Foster: Valkyrie; Scream: Curse of Carnage and Revenge of the Cosmic Ghost Rider

Booooo. I was enjoying Valkyrie and it's a bummer to have an incomplete physical collection for it now. Scream's been a fun, slowburn of a read and it's been cool to see it expand on the Absolute Carnage aftermath. I can only hope Marvel does oversize hardcover collections for these titles.

Tim likes this.
  25. Tim

I went to my shop today (which has mail order & curbside pickup, but also good policy on masks & whatnot, & literally only allowing a few customers in at a time, so I felt ok going in), & ended up cutting a few things off my already small pull.

I’m now officially at just Magnificent Ms Marvel & IDW’s Marvel Action: Spider-Man, as far as ongoing titles on my pull. Got some one-shots & stray individual issues of ongoing series on order, too, & I bought a couple one-shots today that I’d been on the fence about, so I’m not gonna abandon comics or my shop. But, it feels so free to not be committed to a bunch of ongoing titles right now.