Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 386

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

The White Knight universe is sooo good. The second book has so many moments that you always wanted to see in Batman but never could because of sticking to continuity. It's a real wild ride. I hope it's doing well enough to keep going.

atticusfinch and Deanna like this.
  2. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Pretty sure I remember reading that they are giving Sean Murphy an entire White Knight universe line of books.

EDIT: SEAN MURPHY Says DC Approves 'Mini Imprint' for WHITE KNIGHT Spin-Offs

atticusfinch and Vivatoto like this.
  3. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Sure is! Only thing that's missing it looks like is a couple of the one-shots.

Taketimeandfind likes this.
  5. Colby Searcy

Just finished All Out War arc of TWD. Just crazy how this series worked on a monthly basis

Vivatoto likes this.
  6. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I’m going to get that humble bundle for sure

7. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Just got it. Still will get the last compendium eventually because I can’t just have 3 right?

Colby Searcy likes this.
  8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Also posted this in the MCR thread. Excited to listen to it later on. Ed Piskor & Jim Rugg's lengthy interviews are always dope, looking forward to hearing them talk to Gerard Way.

9. Colby Searcy

Is he still doing that line of comics with DC?

10. Tim

Maybe that'll be addressed in the interview? lol. But, I believe that Young Animal "pop up imprint" is inactive right now. Dunno if it's something that'll be relaunched or not.

I think DC has a few other imprints going at the moment, unless some of those have run their course, too. I'm not very into DC, but the "pop up imprint" model is one of their cooler creative publishing choices in recent years.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  11. Colby Searcy

Didn't realize it was a pop up imprint, I thought it was more like a Vertigo type thing

12. Tim

Vertigo is currently dead, & most of the current imprints are pop ups: Young Animal, Hill House Comics, Wonder Comics.

Black Label is the one "permanent" imprint (as premanent as anything can be in DC's current shifting sand of a publishing strategy can be, lol; who knows how long they'll commit to it). Which, it kinda isn't even an imprint anymore, but rather a rating; I think Hill House Comics are also labeled "Black Label."

Jinxworld is technically permanent, too, though I think the original wave all wrapped up & the next wave hasn't been announced yet. But, that's a different beast 'cause that's just what Bendis calls all his creator-owned work, whether it's at Image, Marvel, or DC.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  13. Colby Searcy

My how DC Comics has changed in the several years I've been out of the loop lol

Tim likes this.
  14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

For those who have enjoyed Doctor Aphra.

15. Tim

Hm. I get the motivation, but while I'm very pro getting comics outside of shops, doing a digital release three weeks before the physical (for something originally intended for the direct market) feels weird. Especially when it's a Marvel Star Wars #1 set for the first day shops get Diamond orders again.

Granted, people w/ more comics industry knowledge & experience always talk about how physical readers & digital readers are different audiences. And how there probably won't be any macro scale shift from the former to the latter for as long as the direct market system exists as it does. So, one random rebooted series going digital first at (I'm assuming) a normal new comic price isn't gonna do anything in the grand scheme of things, lol.

(More than anything, it's probably another example of the top publishers being stuck in their ways & current models, lol. I'm currently more certain that comics will remain stuck in their ways after all this at this point than I am about film, funny enough.)

Still, I dunno. It's interesting to me. Wonder if shops will be mad at that.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  16. Tim

Speaking of shops & Diamond orders, looks like things are gonna slowly get going again on May 27th, w/ slow rollouts of the March & April stuff that was pushed back. I think Marvel's putting out new issues every other week at first? Didn't look that closely at DC or Image beyond the first week.

DC's approach to all this continues to be the weirdest & most annoying to me, lol. Like, I'm all for challenging Diamond's monopoly, but their moves on that front seem to be mostly confusing & not satisfactory in the opinion of most shops. And, the "digital first" release of what I think are actually stories from those Walmart books, which previously weren't available digitally, is... something.

17. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I think in this case it has more to do with May the 4th and giving fans something new. If it were any other time of the year, I think they would have held it for the physical release. Although, I could be wrong, too haha.

18. Tim

No, yeah, I think you're right, but it's still a weird choice to me? Feels like something that could make shops mad, or at least uneasy, w/out actually being a move that's particularly enticing for new readers. Kind of a high risk, low reward type thing. Would probably make more sense to have, like, a one-day sale on some completed Star Wars runs, plus maybe a few free first issues.

But, hey, maybe shops will have enough to worry about that a relaunch of a spinoff of a spinoff of the main Star Wars series won't even cross their minds, lol.

19. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Haha I personally like the character, which is why I posted it, but I have a bunch of other things to read and likely won’t buy it digitally tomorrow.

I still need to find a new local shop to go to once things reopen.

20. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Been so out of the loop on books for a year+ now. Renewed with Unlimited last night. Got through Venom, Absolute Carnage, and I'm about halfway through Immortal Hulk. Open to any other suggestions, new or old.

21. Tim

Did you read Spider-Man: Life Story by Chip Zdarksy & Mark Bagley? That was a pretty dope miniseries.

Also, aren’t you a Gail Simone fan? I haven’t read it myself, but her Domino series seems like it was really fun.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I picked up the first issue of both and never read them :seeno: Will check them both out next.

Tim likes this.
  23. Colby Searcy May 6, 2020
    (Last edited: May 6, 2020)
    Colby Searcy

The Walking Dead
    Farmhand

24. Tim

9E1AB4CD-CCAC-4118-A64D-47B719E4101D.jpeg

Independent comics are cool. :rock:

Henry and Deanna like this.
  25. Tim

C7BA80C9-5A2A-43E2-8A84-435333D5C7E9.jpeg

Some good ol’ comics storytelling by Julie Doucet. The following two pages are her in space making good use of these cookies.

Comics is a wild medium, y’all.

Colby Searcy likes this.