Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 378

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Lots of clickbait articles about Marvel/Disney buying DC lol

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  2. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

DC buys Disney.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I've tried my best to not engage it, lol, especially since a lot of the sources seem to be some of the worst people connected ti the industry.

I do sometimes wonder if, in the midst of the AT&T Time Warner thing & declining sales & whatnot, we could see DC and/or Marvel publishing as we know it cease to exist w/in the next decade, though. Like, Marvel is already farming out its kids comics to IDW. How long before DC's parent company decides it'd rather license Batman & Superman to publishers like IDW, Boom, Titan, etc., instead of maintaining a publishing company that's such a small drop in the larger corporate bucket? Even ignoring the tin foil hat clickbait of comicsgate dweebs... DC is in a genuinely interesting & vaguely scary place. The Big 2's parent companies aren't gonna completely abandon the cheap farm league for massive blockbuster IP that currently exists for them, but... I dunno. It's just interesting.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  4. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I don't understand how they bungled the incredible reception they got to Rebirth. I have never in my life been more into DC comics then when Rebirth hit. I was reading Batman, Detec Comics, All-Star Batman, SUPERMAN, Aquaman, Flash, Nightwing, Red Hood, Green Arrow, and Titans. And was loving them all.

They they proceeded to make dumb decision after dumb decision that made me lost any and all interest in what they were doing over there.

5. Tim

Remember reading Green Lanterns for pretty close to a year, which is wild for someone who’s not really a DC fan overall.

It does feel like mainstream comics overall is in a weird lull, though my perception is probably skewed by my personal evolving tastes, lol.

6. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Yeah Marvel is not really doing anything particularly exciting either. The last time I was super excited for Marvel stuff was All-New, All-Different Marvel. Which they also proceeded to drop like bricks.

7. Tim

I do see more in monthly solicitations that interest me right now at Marvel than DC or, tbh, Image, but yeah, when I skim any solicitation list or survey the walls of my local shop, so much of what's out there is... fine. I know it's not a new observation, but oversaturation, both in double shipping & the number of titles being released, has really taken its toll.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  8. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

My apologies. I've been out of the loop on comics over the last several years

Tim likes this.
  9. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I just saw that EVS was the source lol.

Man, that guy suuuuuuucks.

Tim likes this.
  10. failinginplace

Regular

the marvel/dc rumors as i've read it so far seem to be this idea that has been floated that is this 5G thing fails, AT&T may outsource the publishing side of DC, like let Marvel (or someone else) publish it, while AT&T maintains the rights to the IP for movies/shows. that could have been a rumor put out by AT&T just to see what the reaction would be, or it could (likely) just be absolute bs.

related: i did not know anything about this 5G stuff until now. I've just kept my head down, but this sounds bizarre. It's basically sunsetting Clark/Bruce/Diana and letting a new crop of heroes take up their mantles? That sounds like no good.

11. failinginplace

Regular

Hickman's X-Men books are phenomenal right now. Absolutely fantastic.

atticusfinch and ghostedaway like this.
  12. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Reading this and not following comics too closely leads me to at first think they were talking about AT&T as a company might fail if their 5G cellular services doesn’t go as planned so they have to sell DC to recoup some losses or something

Colby Searcy and RyanPm40 like this.
  13. Colby Searcy

I think putting new characters in the main roles of the classic characters sounds pretty rad honestly, I just don't think that's exactly what modern DC comic readers are really wanting.

New 52 was fantastic for me and what really got me into comics and a ton of DC characters that I otherwise wouldn't have but it also seems like I'm the one in a hundred that liked N52 haha

14. Tim

I highly doubt AT&T has anything to do w/ the rumors. It's something people in the industry have wondered since that whole AT&T thing happened, especially w/ some of the stuff around Mad Magazine, Vertigo, etc.

And, if something like that happens, I don't think Marvel is the publisher they'd choose for licensing. I could see, like, IDW getting a line of books, Archie getting something, Boom getting something, etc.

I think Marvel overdoing it post Secret Wars is pretty good evidence it'd be a bad business choice. Marvel's also pretty strong proof that legacy characters can be a big hit w/ Hollywood potential... but, if you take too many classic characters off the table in the process, fans will rebel. It's a delicate balance.

I still think having families of characters is a good solution. There's been a Flash family for decades, a Green Lantern Corps, a Spider-Verse in more recent years, etc. You can have more than one "Spider-Man," more than one "Robin," "Hulk," & so on. I think it's such a missed opportunity to not have, say, between Batman & Detective Comics, one Bruce Wayne series & one Dick Grayson series. Or both Steve & Sam (& maybe even Bucky?) as Caps.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Those are actually the only Marvel books I’m reading right now. Although it does feel like some are unnecessary like Fallen Angels.

16. Colby Searcy

What happened with MAD and Vertigo?

Also I like this idea, like that's sounds so simple to kinda transition from one mantle to another for sure. Have say a family of 5 books based around Batman with 1 that has Bruce to appease old school fans and a couple others with newer characters they are testing out or what not to see how those fair.

All of that just seems so common sense haha

17. Furry Werthers

Trusted

I've found myself recently feeling like no story arcs have left any impact or impression on me at all, no matter how "big" they are (like Snyder's Justice League run) and was starting to think I just had aged out of comics or something - but then Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad run started, and I've re-read those two issues like 7 times, wondering where the story is gonna go, etc, just like I used to, and it really hit me that a lot of the stories recently have just been bland and lifeless. Feels like they've been trying to make everybody happy with fan service and reboots/realignments, rather than just letting good writers write good stories.

Colby Searcy and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  18. Furry Werthers

Trusted

You guys think 5G or Generation 5 is gonna happen? Part of me wishes it just replaced the Earth-One line or something, cause 5G reminds me of the old Pre-Crisis Earth-2, with older heroes and the next generation, but it alsooooo reminds me of everything I hated about New52. I don't want to jump into the middle of a characters history and have to fill in the blanks, like... I feel like we still don't know what happened/didn't happen with regards to most characters histories, and now it's gonna jump forward and just... ugh.

19. Colby Searcy

Considering they reportedly already have 6 months of books completed I'd say it's gonna definitely happen

Furry Werthers likes this.
  20. Furry Werthers

Trusted

Yeah, I just kinda wish it was it's own line or it's own thing, or maybe they re-align it as such, cause I just don't really have any interest in it unless the stories are well-written, and uh... I don't think DC has been exactly nailing out of the park recently on that front. I'd LOVE to be pleasantly surprised, it's been a long while since i've been excited about any more than like one title coming out of DC.

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Isn't the idea of new people taking the mantle the same thing as All New, All Different / 90's DC / New 52?

22. Tim

I’m pretty sure working 6 months ahead doesn’t mean they literally have that many issues in the can, but rather that they have a schedule laid out that far ahead & have the new creative teams working on their upcoming runs alongside the current creative teams (who will make sure their current stories lead directly into what’s next).

That being said, Gen 5 is definitely happening in some capacity. The die is cast. The only question is how soon they go back to status quo. The biggest sales flops probably won’t last long, while any breakout characters will probably last after the old characters come back.

Furry Werthers likes this.
  23. Tim

New 52, no. Kinda the opposite, honestly. That kept the classic versions of the characters but eliminated (almost) all prior continuity. This, on the other hand, is kinda finishing what Rebirth started as far as making everything canon goes, just while also aging up the iconic characters & introducing new characters in those classic mantles.

All-New All-Different Marvel is a better reference point, & in fact is probably why this is even happening. I’m thinking DC saw Marvel bringing Miles, Kamala, Jane, Sam, Kate, etc. into film & television & decided they wanted that same kinda source material to adapt should they “need” it eventually.

24. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

The employees at my LCS think I'm cool and you know what that's the only validation I need.

They gave me a giant poster of Gwen Stacy #1 when I picked up my stack today. Very satisfying NCBD.

Kingjohn_654, Tim and scottlechowicz like this.
  25. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I just ordered the Loeb/Sale Batman Omnibus.
    I'm so excited!
    How does it compare to their Marvel stuff?

atticusfinch and Colby Searcy like this.