Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 376

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

This is all helpful, thanks bud!

Are all of the above part of Rebirth? (I read the vast majority of Johns' Aquaman and a few issues of the Aquaman and The Others) I've also wanted to go back and catch up on Batwoman with the show being a thing now

2. RyanPm40 Feb 8, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 8, 2020)
    RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Decided to start reading Runaways after loving and bingeing the show. I've been enjoying it, but I actually kind of like how the show handled a lot of things better. Especially The Pride, Gibborim, Chase, and the Alex twist. I'm 22 issues into Vol 2 at the moment

It was also a bit jarring and disappointing seeing some of the kids using homophobic slurs and the r-word, forgot how common that used to be :-/

3. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Yeah all rebirth, I've stuck with basically everything DC since then so let me know if you have more questions!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  4. Colby Searcy

I've noticed the use of the R-word a bit too in Locke & Key and can't figure out if it's appropriate in the circumstances or questionable

RyanPm40 likes this.
  5. Colby Searcy

It'll probably be a little while before I get to them but I'm glad to know I have some good stuff to look forward to

6. Colby Searcy

@Vivatoto have you kept up with The Flash at all? I know Joshua Williamson run is supposed to be good. Not sure if he's still writing anything at DC but I loved Nailbiter

7. Vivatoto

Yeah he's still going strong, pretty insane he's been writing it so long. The art is all over the place, damn two week schedules, but the story has been great and just keeps building.

Josh is also writing Batman/ Superman which has been a slot of fun, but it would help to read Metal for that

8. Colby Searcy

So what's Metal? What leads up to it? I know both Snyder/Capullo are involved but know nothing more than that

9. Vivatoto

Just basically a dc event by Snyder and Capullo. Full balls to the wall craziness like a Grant Morrison epic. Lots and lots of tie ins all of which I loved, mainly the ones that focused on each evil version of Batman, but you can just read the main series if you want. The important thing is that it set up Snyder’s League with the source wall breaking, and introduced the villain The Batman Who Laughs who is awesome and has been used a lot since, particularly he’s the antagonist of Batman/Superman.

I don’t remember much leading to it, you can probably just read it. There might have been references to their Batman run but I can’t remember.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  10. Colby Searcy

Oh man, so basically just read everything Snyder has written in the last decade and I'm good to go haha.

I'll stop now, that gets me started and busy for awhile thanks for appeasing me!

11. Vivatoto

You can’t go wrong with Snyder. He’s had some huge ideas for DC.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  12. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

13. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Finally got around to reading House of X/Powers of X and what a fantastic book that is. Easily the best thing I've read from Marvel/X-Men in years. Glad it lived up to the hype I had for it.

Deanna and atticusfinch like this.
  14. RyanPm40

Suuuper cool reading the 2017 run of Runaways and seeing how Victor Mancha grapples with his involvement in The Vision comics. Glad I already read that run awhile ago.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  15. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

8BC407EA-81C3-4971-9EE0-79E6B982116F.jpeg

I love this panel, lol. From Venom: Funeral Pyre, drawn by Tom Lyle (who created Scarlet Spider’s design & passed away a few months ago).

RyanPm40, Kingjohn_654 and blast0rama like this.
  16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

locke and key is fun. stays pretty darn close to the source material.

Kingjohn_654 and Deanna like this.
  17. Colby Searcy

I don't disagree I just think the pacing and overall atmosphere is off

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  18. RyanPm40

So.. I read Runaways up to 2008 until I saw Ramos jump on board and immediately skipped to the newer 2017 run and am so sad I'm caught up there now.

I cannot stand the change in art direction that Ramos took. It looks like a Nick Jr. cartoon- super childish, thick black outlines, blech. Can't believe I'm saying this, but it's replaced Lafuente's work on Ultimate Spider-Man for my least favorite change in art style.

Has anyone read those ones? Am I missing out on Moore's writing and should just suck it up?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  19. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I agree with this. Only five episodes into it but I was expecting a darker tone to it or something like that

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  20. Colby Searcy

Exactly! It's not bad, just not at all what I was expecting. Was definitely expecting much darker as well.

Side note: I really don't like the show's version of the head key scenes

ghostedaway and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  21. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I never read the books, but the show is scaring the hell out of me.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  22. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Yeah, maybe they thought it would look too silly doing it the way it happens in the comics but the show's way isn't much better lol

Edit: Isn't any better I should say

Colby Searcy likes this.
  23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I never felt like the books were horror books. The tone feels the same to me. The mind let us the only major difference for me so far. Only four eps in tho.

24. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Part of it is just me being a little nitpicky I think, haha. Some of the intense moments don't hit as hard with the changes they made to them in the show. Aside from that. I think I just wanted the show to be a bit gritty and go a little harder on the horror elements. I guess more like an M rated show? lol. I do like it though. Two episodes left for me.

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  25. Colby Searcy

Yep, was definitely anticipating a more M-rated show for sure.

Finally finished the comic after all these years so I look forward to how the TV show ends

Kingjohn_654 and ghostedaway like this.