Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 367

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Wow, the colorist of Absolute Carnage randomly colored some person's quick little fan art doodle on Twitter, lol. And it actually looks good, yet again proving that the average comic book reader doesn't value good colorists' contributions to the medium enough.

2. Tim

Me: I really don't care about Deadpool as a character.

Marvel: What if we give the character to Kelly Thompson & Chris Bachalo?

Me: ...maybe.

SpyKi, Kingjohn_654 and Deanna like this.
  3. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Definitely excited to check that one out.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  4. Tim

MARVEL's SCREAM Gets Her Own Ongoing - But Who Are They Now?

I don't understand why Marvel would follow up its massive Venom & Carnage event w/ an allegedly ongoing series (until they cancel it 5 or 6 issues in) centered on Scream, of all characters, written & illustrated by people I'm not super familiar with.

That being said... What I've seen of the artist (Chris Mooneyham) is pretty strong, & I have a lot of nostalgia for the Scream design, so... I'm actually pretty likely to check this out, lol. :venom:

Deanna likes this.
  5. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I've been reading Joss Whedon's X-men and I love it. Definitely my favorite X-men story I've read so far (it hasn't been that many)

xapplexpiex likes this.
  6. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

It is indeed one of the greats.

7. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Morrison's New X-Men, and the Messiah trilogy are really must-reads for any X-Men fan IMO

xapplexpiex likes this.
  8. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Add Remender’s Uncanny X-Force.

SpyKi and xapplexpiex like this.
  9. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

10. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Screenshot_20190816-201308.png

xapplexpiex likes this.
  11. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  12. Art Spiegelman: golden age superheroes were shaped by the rise of fascism
    Back in the benighted 20th century comic books were seen as subliterate trash for kiddies and intellectually challenged adults – badly written, hastily drawn and execrably printed. Martin Goodman, the founder and publisher of what is now known as Marvel Comics, once told Stan Lee that there was no point in trying to make the stories literate or worry about character development: “Just give them a lot of action and don’t use too many words.” It’s a genuine marvel that this formula led to works that were so resonant and vital.

The comic book format can be credited to a printing salesman, Maxwell Gaines, looking for a way to keep newspaper supplement presses rolling in 1933 by reprinting collections of popular newspaper comic strips in a half-tabloid format. As an experiment, he slapped a 10 cents sticker on a handful of the free pamphlets and saw them quickly sell out at a local newsstand. Soon most of the famous funnies were being gathered into comic books by a handful of publishers – and new content was needed at cheap reprint rates. This new material was mostly made up of third-rate imitations of existing newspaper strips, or genre stories echoing adventure, detective, western or jungle pulps. As Marshall McLuhan once pointed out, every medium subsumes the content of the medium that precedes it before it finds its own voice.

Not sure if this was shared here yet, but it's quite good.

13. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I know it's a long shot that any of you have read Clue: Candlestick right?

14. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Had to have been a fake out but holy shit City of Bane. That was a hell of a turn of a page.

15. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Wow that 12 issue Vision comic was a lot darker and creepier than I would have thought

16. RyanPm40

(I loved that Vision series btw)

Also just read House of M last night for the first time. I really enjoyed it. Been trying to catch up on what WandaVision may adapt from and what it could set up for. Excited for what they do with it.

Tim likes this.
  17. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

With all of the Marvel announcements, one of my initial thoughts was "oh, I have a lot of comics to read now" haha. I'm hoping that after I move, I'll have more time for that. The Vision series is so weird and fun.

SpyKi and RyanPm40 like this.
  18. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I really hope we see some House of M Wanda in the series and/or Doctor Strange 2

RyanPm40 likes this.
  19. RyanPm40

Yeah I can totally see a House of M-like adaptation of Scarlett Witch creating the illusion of Vision still existing, like she did with her children.

Also, Peter Parker's arc in House if M was so tragic and heartbreaking. Here he is knowing what life would be like with two women he's madly in love with, and it was an easier decision when only one of them was alive. And now he has to remember it all, his child, Uncle Ben still being alive.. and knowing how much of a success MJ would be without him. Really felt for him.

20. RyanPm40

I just read the Spider-Man House of M comics and I'm a bit confused how it fits in with the main House of M story. Why was Peter out in public when Wolverine found him if he was supposed to be faking his death? And where did his journal come from that revealed what happened in the original reality, and who really was the green goblin who leaked it to Jameson?

21. Tim

I digitally flipped through Marvel Comics 1000 this morning, & loved what I saw. It really is just straight up 80 different one-page strips by a wild range of (unfortunately, as usual, mostly male) creators both classic & modern. Without having done a proper read, I'm thinking this will be my favorite of these special one-shots the Big 2 have done these past few years (Rebirth, Legacy, Action, Detective), even though it's technically not a one-shot w/ Marvel 1001 out next month.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Dustin is selling 6x9 color pencil drawings with 35 prints for $100. The drawing is a grab bag, but I like what I got.

Tim and Colby Searcy like this.
  23. Tim

Tess Fowler already came out against Brian Wood years ago for being a creep, but if anyone forgot about that or just didn't care at the time, here's another woman's account.

24. Tim

Oh hey, some repercussions for being a creep. Nice.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  25. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Good job Dark Horse.

Tim likes this.