Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 365

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

The chemistry between Miles, Kamala, & Sam was always good, but I never liked Waid's writing for kids. At a time when his Marvel work was largely really good, that stuff just felt so old man writing what he thinks kids sound like. Gave up on ANADA pretty quickly, gave up on his Champions w/ Ramos (who I really dislike, so that didn't help) even quicker.

I honestly really liked the expansion of the ranks. I think giving it that X-Men/Legion of Superheroes vibe is smart. I just don't know that, from what I saw, Zub had the right idea for making it work. Though, the weird roll out on a publishing side surely didn't help.

If I were relaunching Champions, I'd first give 'em a rest until, like, the spring. Then I'd get, like, Kelly Thompson or Mariko Tamaki to write a new monthly series, drawn by someone w/ strong pop art style like Leonardo Romero. Redesign all the costumes that look bad (the heck is up w/ Amadeus Cho?) into bolder, more classic looks. Include some of the popular teen mutants people don't see as much & miss.

Oh, also... Launch in late April or early May. And, make one of the 2 FCBD issues a full 20-page Champions story by the same creative team, 100% standalone (not a preview for another story), new reader friendly, centered on Miles Morales & told from his perspective. Boom. You suddenly have so many new Champions fans.

2. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Surge needs to be a main player again

3. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

they need to put saladin ahmed in the creative team for champions because his miles and kamala series right now are both v fun.

4. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Wrote a little about the Jimmy Olsen comic in my newsletter. Also hoping to have some comic book coverage on Chorus soon (for real this time). Welcome to Geekdom: The Newsletter

5. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Damn, House of X #1 was incredible. Can't wait for what's next

xapplexpiex and ghostedaway like this.
  6. Oddpac87

Trusted Prestigious

Fell off the Marvel train like 5+ years ago because I was just trying to read too much and it was overwhelming. Checked out House of X and loved it. I have absolute trust in Hickman, so I can’t wait to see where he goes with it.

Kingjohn_654, JeanRalphio and AP_Punk like this.
  7. GBlades

Trusted

I did the exact same and trying to get a jumping on point is hard. There was just way too much and I do not have the time to read as much as I did back then.

8. JeanRalphio

Regular Supporter

I want to read this so bad, the six month wait is the only down side to the Unlimited app

Kingjohn_654 and scottlechowicz like this.
  9. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

What have you been reading on there lately?

10. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I’m beginning a re-read of Sandman.

This should be fun.

Jason Tate and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  11. JeanRalphio

Regular Supporter

The new X-men from 2001, the current X-men run, just finished Mighty Thor, The current Amazing Spider-man, Spider-Gwen, current Venom, Avengers, Man without fear and the new miles morales spider-man. You?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  12. Kingjohn_654

IMG_20190730_171323560.jpg

Jason Tate, JeanRalphio and Vivatoto like this.
  13. Kingjohn_654

I just finished Kaare Andrews' Iron Fist.
    I've also been re-reading Zdarsky's Jughead.

14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

fluxyjoe likes this.
  15. Super cool to be seeing comics coverage on Chorus. Great article! :D

Just read both #1's for HoX and PoX today. I'm familiar with most of the "big" X-Men storylines but I never followed anything closely save for a few minis. Having heard how awesome Hickman is in both his creator-owned stuff and what he did with FF and the Avengers, I figured this was the best jumping on point. I've learned so much about the X-Men in just these two issues and I can't wait to see where his run goes from here.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  16. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Thanks! Hoping to have some more comics stuff written soon.

I always feel like I never know enough about the 3879384 X-Men comics so this felt like a good jumping on point for me for now. Haven't read Powers just yet, but it's on my list of things to get to today.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  17. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I’m not in this thread as much as I should be.

Random thoughts:
    I’m reading Snyder’s Justice League now and I love it. It’s a sci-fi epic comparable to Hickman’s Avengers. It’s a lot to take in, and might be hard to follow for casual DC fans, but I’m really digging it.
    I need to buy Ice Cream Man vol 3. It’s the sleeper hit no one is reading.
    I didn’t realize vol 8 of Deadly Class is out today. One of my favorite series. I bet the show was good, but it was cancelled before it could get to the best parts of the series.

Kingjohn_654 and Vivatoto like this.
  18. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Yeah Justice League is insane and only getting better and better. If that keeps happening it might end up being my favorite JL story ever. Also crazy that it comes out twice a month and still so damn good.

And yeah, Ice Cream Man rules. The issue that came out today is supposedly a comic book palindrome (haven't gotten to it yet)

xapplexpiex likes this.
  19. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Plan on getting around to Ice Cream Man for sure

20. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Goodbye Paper Girls...You were one of the good ones.

21. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

only new comic I added to my subs is death's head because it looks cool.

22. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I never, ever regret my decision to re-read Sandman.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  23. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I regularly make videos and review comics I love for a Facebook group I run. I’m debating making a YouTube channel for it.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  24. Kingjohn_654

Are we welcome to join the fb group?

25. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Yep. Tim, Henry, and a few others in here are in already. Search Comic Lovers and send a request.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.