Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 364

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Super excited (and stressed out because I can't afford physical copies of all of them) for all the new X titles coming out in the fall. X-Men was, is, and will always be my favorite thing from the comic book world.

Tim likes this.
  2. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

But yeah, I agree about the Marvel Girl look coming back. Red Jean Grey was so good.

Tim likes this.
  3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I am very behind on X-Men, lol. I think I stopped when Jeff Lemire was writing it. I want to read Hickmans though.

4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Post-Secret Wars X-Men hasn't been great, lol. A lot of really good stuff sprinkled throughout, but no real sense of direction. Just a lot of bad conflict w/ the Inhumans, a lot of vanilla nostalgia, & a lot of gradual character returns.

As far as team books, I don't think anything in the past 4 years will be worth revisiting besides X-Men: Red, maybe X-Men: Blue? Especially disappointed that both Astonishing & Uncanny didn't live up to my initial optimism.

5. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Just read the first appearance of Shang-Chi (Special Marvel Edition #15) and this is a character I need to dive into more. The comics are obviously very 70s and some of the content doesn't age terribly well, but the same can be said with plenty of other titles from the same time period.

6. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I stopped with Marvel (and all comics really) a couple of years ago. All this X men talk has me wanting to go back and read again but catching up on comics is so daunting!

7. Tim

scottlechowicz and Deanna like this.
  8. Tim

Then don't "catch up," just jump into the new Hickman era! Sounds like a perfect jumping on point.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  9. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Yeah that’s what will end up happening. I just know I’m gonna end up going back too

10. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I have been so bad at comics lately and UGHHH also a few new series I am interested start soon so I need to pick it up

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  11. Tim

Kingjohn_654 and zigbigwig like this.
  12. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

House of X #1 was awesome. Excited to see where this goes.

13. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Everyone get the Self/Made trade that came out today.

14. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  15. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Marvel October solicitations are out and my bank account is weeping to no surprise

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  16. CobraKidJon

luckily nothing crazy is happening besides my usual comics so i am pretty happy. my backlog is already stacked.

17. JeanRalphio

Regular Supporter

Wanted to read some X-men comics. Is the Claremont run from 91-2001 worth diving into? Tried the classic 60's comics but I just don't like the writing and constant exposition of the older books

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Its a great run, but it is DENSE. Claremont is heavy on the dialog to the point that I need to put it down after a short while.

Kingjohn_654 and JeanRalphio like this.
  19. Tim

I'm pretty sure around 91 was when Claremont left after having written since the 70s. And then he came back here & there in the years since. So, if you're looking at the series called "X-Men" that started in 91 in the Marvel Unlimited app or whatever... Claremont only wrote the first few issues, then left over creative differences w/ Jim Lee & the editorial team.

Those first 3 issues of X-Men that Claremont & Lee did together were pretty dope, though. If you're into that style/era, that is. It's more modern feeling than 60s or 70s stuff, but not as much as 21st century stuff.

If you just want a big, rad run of X-Men comics, try Grant Morrison's New X-Men. It's wild & wonderful & my personal favorite X-Men run.

JeanRalphio likes this.
  20. CobraKidJon

IM CRying

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  21. JeanRalphio

Regular Supporter

Definitely didn't realize that, I'm reading the current series with Legion/X-man, it's pretty decent so far!

Kingjohn_654 and Tim like this.
  22. Tim

I feel like Marvel had a great idea w/ the Champions but hasn't yet really known what to do w/ 'em. The whole Zub run, from a publishing perspective, was such a mess. They really need to let the concept rest for a minute, give space, & then give a new series its proper due.

23. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I am so, so excited for where Hickman is taking X-Men with House/Powers of X and then the new on-goings. First issue was great

scottlechowicz likes this.
  24. Tim

I'm holding off 'til the House & Powers of X hardcover comes out, but what I saw in House of X was dope. Very reminiscent of his Fantastic Four & Avengers runs. Funny seeing the resurrected Xavier from Soule's Astonishing X-Men walking around w/ Cerebro on his head, like Hickman is doing The Maker 2.0 or something.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  25. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

They need to scale Champions back down to Miles, Amadaeus, Viv Vision, Ms. Marvel, and Sam-Nova. That team worked well, and Teen Cyke was kinda fun too even thought I wouldn’t want whatever fuckery would have to be done to bring him back.

The run itself is kinda controversial as far as fan reception goes I guess, but I loved the trio of Miles, Kamala, and Sam in ANAD Avengers. Their chemistry worked so well.

Also give them fun comic book stories, not fugging social commentary nonsense that they were hammering over your head.