Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 356

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I need to stop lending comics to friends. I get so annoying nagging them to read them.

I enjoyed Matt Fraction's Five Fists of Science, but it was much too short. Nikola Tesla and Mark Twain team up to end war forever, despite JP Morgan and Thomas Edison using black magic to stop them.

2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Yeah. Which, I guess this week would've been a good week for recruiting people to write blurbs, lol. My mind was just elsewhere. But, we still got time for sure.

Do you wanna write something? Maybe either for Jason Aaron's Avengers (whatever's in that first trade), or Iron Man: Extremis by Warren Ellis (forget what issues that trade collects)?

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Lol leave it to Bendis to put himself and Capullo in Action Comics

IMG_20190421_120546.jpg

4. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I’ve read Extremis so I can get you something for that tomorrow.

Tim likes this.
  5. Wynuride

Newbie Supporter

How does everyone here collect/consume your comics? Singles? Trades? Digital?

I recently got into comics and have been trying out all the various titles to see which ones I eventually want to pull. I've really enjoyed going into the LCS each week, picking up a few physical titles, and sitting back with some issues. However, I've noticed how quickly the singles pile-up and I'm in a small apartment so space is at a premium. My minimalist/organized nature is definitely kicking in on how I balance the pro/cons of singles/trades/digital, so any advice you could provide to a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

@Jason Tate I've seen some of your recommendations for apps on various posts, I assume you are all digital?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  6. Correct. I use Chunky Comic Reader on the iPad for a lot of my reading.

Wynuride likes this.
  7. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I'm like 90% physical which is going to bite me in the ass someday.

Kingjohn_654 and Wynuride like this.
  8. Your future kid or some random stranger will be super happy for the nostalgia though. Passing down a Dropbox folder is super boring :crylaugh:

Kingjohn_654 and Vivatoto like this.
  9. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

@Wynuride I have a combo of trades and digital going. Most of my digital reading is through Marvel Unlimited and hopefully DC Universe once they add a little more for my liking.

Wynuride and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  10. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Oh yeah, I'm very excited at the prospect of that. I've got two younger cousins I'm working on now and they're very excited about getting to read whatever they want when they get a bit older.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. Tim

I'm personally very much so a physical comics kinda guy. I've read things digitally before & enjoy the medium of webcomics, but there's a certain aesthetic experience to seeing art on the printed page that I can't see myself ever fully abandoning.

Though, in the year of our Lord 2019, if you don't have the same strong affection/obsession with the physical medium of comics... I'd definitely advise leaning into the digital thing, lol. Maybe just buying collected volumes and/or single issues for your absolute favorites.

To get more specific into my habits... Anymore, I tend to prefer comics that I can put on a bookshelf. For certain things I particularly love (especially in the world of Spider-Man), having some big ol' omnibus hardcovers is really cool. Though, I do still read a handful of titles monthly, & I also really dig finding cheap back issues. Dollar bins rule, especially when I can have the thrill of slowly piecing together a particular run or find something I didn't know about by a creator I dig. Reading a floppy comic story is always a cool experience, even though storing 'em isn't super convenient. (Guess it's kinda the comic version of people who are really into vinyl.)

12. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I collect everything physical but I’m thinking I should use all the digital codes that come with the physical just in case.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  13. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Mostly physical for me. Pulling about 7 titles I think right now and there's a few that I wait on the trades for.

Wynuride likes this.
  14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm now 100% trades. Singles are way too expensive.

15. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I think right now I’m currently on a pull list for like 10 comics but yeah mostly single comics. I want to do trades tho for like Red Hood and The Outlaws because that’s a series I’m interested in.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  16. BackyardHero11

Trusted

It definitely depends on how much you care about physical media. I definitely love the feeling of holding a book or a trade paperback. I have some absolutely gorgeous omnibus or special editions of comics so I make sure to get those in physical. but I absolutely understand the convenience of digital and have a decent library of books and comics on my kindle as well. one of the most fun things about digital is, at least on comixology, marvel unlimited, and DCU, the guided reading view.

so I would say if you like both but have a space issue. stick mostly to digital, save for maybe those key graphic novels or really nice looking ones. I personally had to stop with the individual physical issues.

17. BackyardHero11

Trusted

this was my favorite thing about marvel at the time I was collecting, always grab the digital codes, some do have expiration dates. I do the same with my movies, I get the physical 4k but redeem the digital for travel.

18. Kingjohn_654

You're not chunky though

Colby Searcy likes this.
  19. Kingjohn_654

I almost exclusively read trades now.

Sometimes I'll check out the first issue online to see if I like it enough to buy the trade.

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  20. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Does marvel do this again? I know they had stopped. I didn’t think it would affect me but I actually stopped buying physical when they did this. Now I just wait for trades or use the library. I think I prefer to read in digital format but I have an addictive personality when it comes to collecting things.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  21. BackyardHero11

Trusted

haha I feel ya on the collecting things part, especially books, movies, and records. I honestly don't know if marvel does it anymore, I kind of fizzled away from marvel entirely comics wise. kept up with spider-man for a bit because he's my favorite but then he had too many different series haha. I just read what's on DCU and grab some monthlies digitally with the occasional TPB.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  22. Kingjohn_654

I bought the first couple of trades of Kot's Secret Avengers. I'm excited to check it out and add to my Hawkeye collection.

23. Tim

I knew the ending had already been announced, but I don't think I knew it was this close? Still only 2 trades in, but when the last trade drops, I'm gonna have to dive in for real.

Speaking of Image series ending, I've been pulling Paper Girls all along but have only read like half of it. Gotta catch up on that by the time the last issue drops this summer.

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm ready for it to end. I've loved the ride, but its time.

25. BackyardHero11

Trusted

[​IMG]

Ascender #1 | Image Comics

I need to finish Descender. I had read the first volume and really liked it and then when I heard that this would be a sequel series and that a 3rd would follow this is just got that much cooler to me. looking forward to getting to this once I finish Descender.

Kingjohn_654 and Vivatoto like this.